Lock Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stryker

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2008
Durham
I'm soon to be spending most of my working week outdoors, and wanted a decent folding knife to have with me.

I don't have a lot of experience so am after as much advice as I can get. This may be asking the impossible but I'm after something which is very sturdy but fairly compact.

Unfortunately I'm on a really tight budget, but understand that quality and reliability comes at a price.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
What will you be doing outdoors? What will be the main use for the knife?

Multi-tools can be tough and cheap(ish) and perhaps will raise fewer eyebrows if a member of the public were to see you using it. However they won't be the best choice if you likely to be using it to dress game or similar. :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
What do you need the knife to do? What do you define as sturdy? Sturdy compared to what, a Swiss Army Knife, or a fixed blade?

If you are going to be using the knife for work, can you not use a small fixed blade? A locking folder is more convenient to carry around when not in use, but as the laws stand, you shouldn't be carrying it when not on the job anyway. Personally, I like locking folders and often prefer them to fixed blades, but that is due to long familiarity, also, my usage when I do carry them falls between jobs that are done with a slip joint, non-locker, and those that really need a fixed blade. I only use them for cutting.

When you say your budget is tight, what had you in mind? £10, £20, £50?
Below are a sellection of low-mid range knives that might be worth a look. I found some cheaper ones, but either the steel or build quality didn't look good enough, or I didn't have experience of the make.

http://www.heinnie.com/xgyrzb90600/Knives/Byrd/Byrd-Cara-Cara-G10/p-92-121-724/
http://www.heinnie.com/xgyrzb90600/Knives/Spyderco/Spyderco-Tenacious/p-92-191-3559/

http://www.heinnie.com/xgyrzb90600/Knives/Columbia-River/Columbia-River-Razel-Folder/p-92-129-4081/
http://www.heinnie.com/xgyrzb90600/...ia-River-M16™-Zytel-Spear-Point/p-92-129-853/

http://www.heinnie.com/xgyrzb90600/Knives/Ka-Bar/KA-BAR-Mule/p-92-155-1190/

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Spyderco Tenacious is a great value for money and tough locking folder

Stryker

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2008
Durham
Thanks for all the replies,

I want something sturdier than a swiss army, but will only be used for light duties and had a budget in mind of £20-£30.

The Buck Bantam range is catching my eye at the minute. Although the Opinel's do have appeal too.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I'd second the vote for the opinel, I've had three in my life and one lived outdoors for about 5 years (lost) before being reinstated indoors and it's still going strong. as are the other two that I've now got,

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
my opinel though handy has the annoying habit of when exposed to wet the wooden handle swells so much the blade becomes very difficult to fold out, i once enlarged the slit where blade folds into to hopefully solve problem but then when dried out the blade became very loose, i find the the locking device is easily dislodged when using the knife as well, easy to sharpen though but a brittle blade easily chipped/broken.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
That's why I didn't recommend the Opinel. I have heard a story of someone taking one to a damp environment, the handle swelled, made it nearly impossible to open, and completely impossible to engage the lock. Since it was so stiff, they used it without the lock....and it eventually closed on their finger:eek:

Not a tool I would want to rely on in the outdoors if I had the choice.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Opinels are mainly carbon steels so you shouldn't be using them in damp inviroments anyway :p

Never had a problem with my opinel swelling, the blade is a bit thin for people but is really depends on what you are using them for, if it's hacking, slashing, battoning and chipping them don't get the opinel, whereas if it's slicing, shaving and carving you are doing then go for the opinel.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
I'm sure I've heard that Opinel have switched from beech handles to more robust hardwoods to eliminate the swelling problem?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
These Kabar Dozier lockbacks are hard to beat. One of the best deals around for a knife.

kabar_doziers1b.jpg

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
I agree with Hoodoo, bought a Dozier KABAR for £20 from the Wilderness Gathering 2 years ago and have used it every day since. Even works with a firesteel. What more can you ask for!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For a lock knife, this is my favourite - a locking Wenger Ranger. One handed opening, substantial saw. A really good strong pocket knife...shown against a SAK Hunter for scale

2607644693_febe69a524_o.jpg

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Hi, just joined!! I've just received a Bushcraft Folder made by Bernie Garland - lovely piece of work - you might want to have a look on his website. Not exactly cheap - £220+ but it's custom made.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE