Best Bushcraft Knife to Buy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andreadellabella87

Jan 5, 2023
Berlin
Hello everyone! This question has probably been asked before! I'm looking for a new survival knife. In particular I would like my knife to be full tang for doing Bushcraft.
Searching the net I found this Muela Crusader Micarta Leather Sheath 13M.N knife here https://www.knifepark.com/en/bushcraft-knives. I really like the design of the knife, but I don't know the Muela brand, and I don't know if it's a reliable product. Have any of you tried it? Do you know the brand? Do you recommend it? My budget is quite limited, but I'm also open to evaluating alternatives if someone can give me some advice on a product similar to the one indicated. Thank you all guys!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Yes, it has been asked, but don’t worry about that.

Do not buy that Muela. In fact, be cautious with knife sales sites that appear to pre-select “bushcraft“ knives. Many of the knives shown on the KnifePark list are far from good designs for bushcraft.

The Crusader handle profile and width are not going to be comfortable for wood carving, the blade grind is not going to cut wood or food well, the swedge ground on the blade spine will not work well with a baton and worse with a ferro rod fire lighter. Finally, 1.4116 steel is known for being very corrosion resistant but also soft with poor edge retention when working wood.

This would be better, and will save you money!

Aspects of this one need work, but it is better than the Muela

Helle make good stuff.

Lion Steel make excellent knives, but not without downsides for bushcraft

This would work too.

In reality you do not need full tang, especially not when you are starting out. Any of the Mora Companion or Bushcraft models would do well and you would learn about knife use so that when you buy a more expensive knife you know what you want to look for.

all the best
Chris

andreadellabella87

Jan 5, 2023
Berlin
Hi Chris! Thank you for your answer! Very much appreciated! You're not the first person to recommend the Morakniv Garberg knife for Bushcraft, it actually looks like a great product. The design of the Muela knife, I liked it much more :) but I think you're right, I have to put the looks aside and see what is more practical for me.
Thank you very much for your advice!

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
In answer to your question: I have used Muela knives and they are well made. As for the style of the knife, you'd do well to look at offerings from companies synonymous with bushcraft such as Mora, Helle, Casstrom or Condor. Consider what you actually aim to do with your knife; if it's wood carving then a shortish (4" max) blade with a scandi grind will serve you well, whereas if you're making feather sticks and chopping up food then a thinner knife such as the Mora Kansbol may suit you better. If you want a cool looking lump to hammer through logs then the Muela will probably keep you happy.

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
Mora if on a budget and then if not Essee 6 - I have both. But it is very much subjective and there are many more people on this site who can give far better advice than I can.

Do tell us which knife you opt for.

Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk
True about the knife but (if the op is in the UK) Varusteleka won't send knives to the UK anymore
Yeah, I emailed them a few months back and they said something about their couriers not being able to check IDs over here. A real shame.
I guess they still ship to the mainland, but I'm not certain.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Sources of information:

I wrote my original reply on a tablet, before work today, not the best way to type a reply. I wanted to add a bit about why I recommended certain knives, and the features I look for and why.

First up, the term "bushcraft" covers a lot of subjects, not all of which need much in the way of a knife. In the case of knife use, we tend to say that carving and crafting items from wood is a significant factor in defining a knife as a "bushcraft" knife, and not just a good camping, hiking or hunting knife.

With some experience, a person will figure out whether a knife design skewed towards wood work is better for them, or one that leans towards food prep, or ease of carry, or skinning game...etc.

Heavy and prolonged wood carving can be a part of "bushcraft" but tends not to be a part of modern camping or hunting.

For wood carving, a handle that spreads the load of heavy cuts and does not fatigue the hand is very important. It needs to accommodate multiple hand holds. Many knives designed to merely appeal to the buyer's eye have finger grooves and/or handles shaped for only one or two grips.

My experience has been that a handle width of 25mm in the middle swell, tapering to 19mm at both ends, with an additional swell/spread at the butt is the most comfortable. This is what you see on Alan Wood's Woodlore, and many UK custom bushcraft knives and were the dimensions I used for the Spyderco BushcraftUK handle.

The handle benefits from a rounded cross section, not just rectangular slabs with rounded edges. Many modern knives have this slab/rounded edge format, see the majority of ESEE knives. Not bad, but not optimum for prolonged wood carving.

A cutting edge that starts as close as possible to the handle allows power cuts with greatest leverage. Long unsharpened ricassos and finger choils look good, but do not help wood work. If there is a choil notch, it had darned well better be positioned so the whole edge can be sharpened. That Muela had the choil notch in line with the plunge grind and there was thick, unsharpenable blade between the notch and the cutting edge :banghead2:

A huge amount has been written on grinds. For wood work an edge angle around 25degrees total is pretty good. Some go more acute, some more obtuse but that is a good rough target. This is MUCH more acute than many manufacturers sharpen their factory made knives. It is more common to find knives sharpened at 30 or even 40 degrees total, and there are many authorities who claim that 20degrees per side is ideal. These are not wood carvers and if their blades perform, it tends to be because they are very thin immediately behind the edge.

My experience has been that (certainly beginners) benefit from edges that are not so thin behind the cutting bevel. The "Scandi" grinds used on many popular bushcraft knives, when sharpened with no extra bevel, tend to self-guide in a wood cut with the large bevel surface acting a bit like a plane sole. The bevel length can be reduced considerably and still provide some guidance to the cut, but too short with too little behind it and it gets hard to control the angle of attack, the angle that the edge meets the wood. The Lion Steel Bushcraft is tending to have an edge that is harder to control for long cuts.

Many want a bushcraft knife spine to be sharp enough to scrape sparks from a ferro rod. I like it if can, but am not totally against it if if is rounded. What I cannot stand are swedge false edges. They look great, but chew up batons (I baton with care, believing that learning how to maximise what you can do with your knife is an important skill), they are uncomfortable to push against for thumb or finger driven fine carving, and tend to be poor for scraping sparks for fire lighting.

Full tang vs hidden tang. An awful lot has been accomplished by folk with skinny hidden tang blades. They can certainly be strong enough for all routine bushcraft tasks, particularly the fatter tangs. The Garberg and Benchmade both had hidden tangs, but those tangs are almost the full depth of the handle.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Bushcraft? survival? A proper knife by any other name would smell as sweet. The outback Aussies coined the term. THEIR favored knives were KaBars with the upper guard removed, stacked leather handles reprofiled and a lanyard hole drilled on the but. ‘Shudders’ having snapped a marine’s.
Mors Kochanski was using Opinels and homemade runs for his classes and the classic red handled Moras.
The full WIDTH tang, drop/ spear point and Scandinavian grind BUSHCRAFT pattern became popular along with Frankenstein creations like THE TRACKER based on the old German made PUMA
Along with Hood Atax’s and Hollowhandled survival knives ( based on Vietnam Randall pilots knives.
Another candidate to the above suggestions? A Ukrainian outfit markets a few designs of excellent
Quality and design for a modest cost. You have the option of helping a nation with that one.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Bushcraft? survival? A proper knife by any other name would smell as sweet. The outback Aussies coined the term. THEIR favored knives were KaBars with the upper guard removed, stacked leather handles reprofiled and a lanyard hole drilled on the but. ‘Shudders’ having snapped a marine’s.
Mors Kochanski was using Opinels and homemade runs for his classes and the classic red handled Moras.
The full WIDTH tang, drop/ spear point and Scandinavian grind BUSHCRAFT pattern became popular along with Frankenstein creations like THE TRACKER based on the old German made PUMA
Along with Hood Atax’s and Hollowhandled survival knives ( based on Vietnam Randall pilots knives.
Another candidate to the above suggestions? A Ukrainian outfit markets a few designs of excellent
Quality and design for a modest cost. You have the option of helping a nation with that one.
Is there actually a recommendation in there?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Can’t beat the Morakniv Garberg knife be honest.

You see, whereas I agree, it's a really good knife, to say 'it can't be beaten' is a bit subjective. I would accept 'I really like the MG and it does everything I want' but as it doesn't for me I would say it can be beaten. I appreciate your comment may not have been totally serious, but as a statement to a new, perhaps less experienced, member, it's a bit lacking in reasoning :)

Chris' explanation is spot on IMO; there is no 'one knife' to rule them all. So, as it's down to personal use and preference, let's just say that!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
You see, whereas I agree, it's a really good knife, to say 'it can't be beaten' is a bit subjective. I would accept 'I really like the MG and it does everything I want' but as it doesn't for me I would say it can be beaten. I appreciate your comment may not have been totally serious, but as a statement to a new, perhaps less experienced, member, it's a bit lacking in reasoning :)

Chris' explanation is spot on IMO; there is no 'one knife' to rule them all. So, as it's down to personal use and preference, let's just say that!

There is `one knife to rule them all`

Its definitely the next one I buy,

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Bushcraft is too much of a catch all subject for any one blade to be able to do everything required well. Every knife I have seen marketed as the one knife has in general been pants.

A simple blade that you can learn to sharpen that is comfortable in your hand is what’s required. Too big for splitting makes for a poor carving knife. Too wide makes a poor chefs tool.

So the advice already given by Chris et Al is spot on. Decide your intended use and by a knife that holds an edge well and will last you a lifetime.

I have frosts moras that are 20 years old still going.

The more bushcraft I do the smaller my blade has become. I’m definitely in the axe small knife school. Others have their opinions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE