Loch Lomond "inchconnachan" (picture heavy i think ? lol)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi all,

Just got back from a weekend canoeing on Lock lomond and inchconnachan as our base camp. Its going to be very hard to put into words how beautiful, magical and amazing this place is....but ill try lol

We arrived friday morning to meet my brother who works in scotland :D with our kit in dry bags and strapped to our selves. This was a little strange for me as i am used to my bergen as i know where everything lives in it etc :rolleyes: The weather was cloudy and a little misty as we loaded up the canoe with enough kit for the weekend for 3 people :eek: , then loaded our selves of course which was a little wobbly as we are no experts.

On the paddle over to our base camp i was quickly finding muscles in my shoulders that i dont think even doctors have names for :eek: The scenery on the way over was out of this world with mountains disappearing then re-appearing in the mist and clouds.

Once we arrived at our camp for the weekend my heart was almost thumping out of my chest as it was one of the most beautiful sites i have seen including my time foreign traveling. The beach was filled with quartz and pebbles and the water was crystal clear for as deep as light would allow. There was also a reed bed on the opposit island and loads of broad leaf trees that were just stunning.

We threw up our tarps and the small tent for our 3rd man who we could not talk into spending the night bivvying but each to their own :rolleyes: lol. The first task was to go find some fire wood as light was failing fast. My self and my uncle went for a wonder and low an behold within few minutes we saw what we though was a deer running for cover be couldnt of been sure as the light was deminishing. The whole island is covered in spagman moss and fern with uprooted trees everywhere probably due to both the weather and the poor footings.

Well as a far as bush craft skill went on the first night it was a little embarrising as in the excitement we did not collect enough tinder and the damp weather did not make it any easier so we had to resort to using some paper :eek: . In the end we did manage to get it lit and get warm plus crack open a beer or 3. Food was rat packs which as usual were hot/wet and quite nice.

The next morning we awoke to a mist that had turned the loch into a mystical yet exciting feeling place "applogies for the poor decription but it was undescribable" After a brew i decided to go for a wonder alone to collect some wood and just for a wonder ;) I was walking thorugh the woods and it was misty and silent then out of no where about 15 yards from me i saw somthing move and upon focusing i saw a large white stag who just stared straight back at me for a minute :eek: :eek:. This was a moment i will never forget for as long as i live as its my fist wild stag sighting. I would like to think i tracked him as i did follow his prints through the mud (easy to see thanks to time of year) but i think it was mainly luck :rolleyes: .

memistclear.jpg

Almost too excited to eat but we had to so bacon butties on an open fire it was and lashings of fresh coffee :). After some food we decided to pack a small bag as well as emergency throw bags and go for a paddle round the island which by the way was much easier with out the added weight :D . We stopped off to go hunting for more wild life (photo hunting btw lol) only to come across a wallaby sat on his nest if they do such a thing :) Having seen them whilst traveling in australia i was a little shocked to see one there especially looking so FAT and healthy.

wallaby.jpg

thecrew.jpg

myknife.jpg

bacon-1.jpg

canoehome.jpg

view.jpg

fire.jpg

boatshore.jpg

Right i fear i may be boring a lot of you so if anyone wants more ill extend another time :)

Reactions: Toddy

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
Nice pics :) by all means put more on! Especially liking the one with the wallaby LOL he's got a kinda "ok... i can explain.." look on his face!

Like the knife photo, even if it does look like it's stabbed into a rock! i want that blade LOL

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Great pics Dwardo. I for one will be happy to see and read more about your trip. I have taken the liberty of "manipulating" your knife shot...just to get rid of that green buoy, or whatever it is...Hope you don't mind...If you do I'll just delete it..

myknife.jpg

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Great stuff, sounds magic! :)

That really is a fat wallaby. Must be putting on extra insulation to deal with the winters here. I wonder what the rules are about hunting those...

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Cheers all and thanks stovie :) i have replaced my version at home with yours now lol nice work ;)

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
It is a great place to paddle. The map below gives an idea of the layout

luss.jpg

Also this page describes the paddling in the area

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/luss_loch_lomond.html

I have seen the wallabies many times on this island but never any deer. I have seen the deer on the other islands but had assumed for some reason they stayed away from here because of the wallabies. Looks like they mix okay after all.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I may have a reason for the missing deer ;)

On saturday guy in a kayak pulled up for a chat and we told him about the deer. The guy being local was quite amazed also as he said he had not seen any either, just as he finished talking we all looked over to our camps left only to see a stag swimming from one island to ours :eek: .

This may explain it :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful! :D

It's a lovely bit of the world, but deceptively calm; the waters really blow up when the wind is right.

The wallabies were introduced in the 1970's on one of the privately owned islands by Lady Arran (Colquhoun). They occasionally escape to the main shore when the loch freezes over, much to the consternation of drivers :eek:
Stags swim very well, but it's unusual to see a white one. Looks like the loch went all out to be special for you :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
John, that's excellent :D I was told that normally the shoots take out the white ones. My Dad said that there were white ones on Rannoch moor when he was young though.

Cheers,
Toddy

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Great pics and account Dwardo! :You_Rock_

I have also seen a capecaillie on inchconnachan, just about 50 or 60 yards to the south of where your pics are taken from. My dad has a pic (on film) of it, i'll get him to look it out and scan it when he comes back his holiddays.

I am up LL regularly, but not in a canoe....

:D

cadet11Small-1.jpg

Morrius

Oct 16, 2006
Bristol
That really does look like a fantastic location. I've wanted to visit it for a while. Assuming I can get all my gear on the plane without being arrested (must look this up), what are my chances of getting to loch lomond without a car? It would make sense to fly to the nearest airport and then get a taxi or coach out to lomond. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to get from Bristol to Loch Lomond?

Beautiful, amazing pictures incidentally. Really inspiring.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE