Loch Goil fishing trip.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Was dark and smirry by the time Nathan and I got there. Seen an otter(well - an otters nose) swimming by in twilight. Scott guided us in the last half mile with the odd torch flash.

LG_SEP_01.jpg

I reckon I could handle a seals life.

LG_SEP_02.jpg

Home sweet home.

LG_SEP_03.jpg

That's about the best water I've see anywhere round loch goil.

LG_SEP_04.jpg

More seal photos, the one with it's head up was grunting it's disapproval at me being in the general vicinity. He'd been round at camp grunting at Scott the night before.

LG_SEP_05.jpg

LG_SEP_06.jpg

LG_SEP_07.jpg

The guys returning from an trawl into goil.

LG_SEP_08.jpg

The wood supply, paddled round and restocked from here rather than touch the broadleaf wood.

LG_SEP_09.jpg

Shared the area with a group of five heron. The young too big to tell apart from the parents. Sometimes they'd be solitary then every now and then the whole group would glide by.

LG_SEP_10.jpg

Couple of boaty photies.

LG_SEP_11.jpg

LG_SEP_12.jpg

We nibbled on welks, limpets and mussels, some boiled up in seawater...

LG_SEP_13.jpg

...and others teased open in garlic and lemon butter then flash broiled in wine.

LG_SEP_14.jpg

On sunday there was a mysterious big bright round thing in the sky. At first we hid under the oak in fear and wonder but then braved going out in the sunlight. Awfy nice it was too. :)

LG_SEP_15.jpg

Nathan gathering more mussels. Just reach out and pluck the big 'uns off in passing.

LG_SEP_16.jpg

Ever the optimists...

LG_SEP_17.jpg

...but it paid off and on the way back we caught one mackerel apiece which meant while it was a damn poor show it wasn't a write-off. Who really goes fishing for the fish anyway?

:)
Josh

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks like you had a great time Josh.

Can you have a word with him up there and ask if he`ll keep it nice and sunny for the next few weeks.

What were the midgies like ? Are they still about ??

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
I must say that Nathan had a great time, so a huge thanks to Josh, and Scott for taking him with them and looking after the wee lad ;)

A typical teenager, he didn't bother checking what time the trains were running so i had to go and pick him up as the next train was 10-45 and he was at the station at 7 :rolleyes:

He is now even more convinced that he must have his own canoe so he can get out more, like i said, cheers Josh :rolleyes:

The photos back up what a great weekend he said he had, so thanks again guys, :You_Rock_

Dave

Scout

Nomad
Aug 30, 2005
Dumfries & Galloway
Hi all,

I'd like to thank Josh and Scott for the invite, had a great weekend and cant wait till I can afford my own boat. We cooked the mussels tonight, all 57 off them and theres only a couple left.

Thanks for a great weekend,

Nathan

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks wonderfull :)

I will have to try the place as i am still yet to try a sea loch, oh and your right about the fishing - catching fish is only a very small part of it !

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Looks like a good trip Josh, was tempted to ask if I could join you but other commitments won out I'm afraid.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Josh
This is great. Where did you park, put-in, and campon the Loch? I should like to do a similar trip having just got back from 4 days canoe/camping on Loch Lomond which has whetted my appetite for more particularly as you can load all the home comforts in a canoe.
Best regards Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE