Fishing brolly tents. Nash Groundhog

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fenix

Forager
Jul 8, 2008
Kent
It started with a brolly and ended up with a tent.
Originally I was looking for a rally big umbrella that could be kept in the car to be used when the pub beer gardens open up. From there the thought process was that carp fisherman have really big umbrellas! So started looking at carp fishing kit, and they do indeed have monster brollys. After a bit of looking around, comparing prices I found a Nash Groundhog advertised on Facebook not far from me. 2nd hand but in good usable condition.

If your not aware of the fishing brolly design they are basically big oval umbrellas, with side skirts, and some have optional front, throw overs, and extensions. This particular one is big enough to seat two with in camping chairs and a small table, and has plenty of room to sleep, I might pickup a carp fishing bedchair to go with it.
To get the initial shelter up without the zip in front takes about 20 seconds, you just have to slide the umbrella mechanism up, unscrew the handle and add a couple of pegs. That gets you dry, then add the front two poles that screw in if you want. The front section and groundsheet zip and clip in. So its pretty quick to put up and very solid. Single skin but there is loads of venting. Cost wise this was £80, new they are around £250.
For me its going to be a multi use bit of kit, have in the car when the beer gardens reopen, take down the rifle range to keep kit dry or sun off, camp out in the garden when doing astronomy, use as a hide / accommodation for photography. Think its fishing days are over, I tend to travel light when fishing and have everything in a fishing vest.

Plus side.
Very quick to assemble.
Ease of assembly and putting down.
Very solid.
Great venting
Optional addons.
Plenty of room for 1, 2 doable.
Nice head height.
Green (camo available)
Easy to position.

Downsides
Long when not assembled
Heavy (10.5kg all in)
Tape needs upgrading on the front corners where the door hangs. Its watertight but its a weakness of the brolly design.
Groundsheet not a bathtub design.

No front
IMG-20210403-112116.jpg

Front fitted (not fully pegged)
IMG-20210403-111931.jpg

Vented rear
IMG-20210403-112016.jpg

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
What?! British pubs allow you to pitch such a thing on their grounds (or do they have camping areas?) I think I would be laughed at if I tried that here in Finland.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I considered this type of brolly not long after I joined the site :)
I still think they're potentially a good thing.....especially in the sodden wet UK !

Who was the fellow who packed a brolly like an axe in his rucksack ? did the geography of the UK on a TV series ?

Standard Brit thing; even HM the Queen matches her brolly to her outfit :)

Reactions: CLEM

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
What?! British pubs allow you to pitch such a thing on their grounds (or do they have camping areas?) I think I would be laughed at if I tried that here in Finland.
No, without the tent bit, which I’m assuming isn’t a fixed part, it is just a very big umbrella. A British staple during the summer. ;)

It’s multifunctional, it’s not always a tent, only if the canopy is attached. I could be miles off, but I know the carp fisherman like good all round multifunctional gear like the chairbeds I use for lounging in the sun or sleeping in the bell tent.

fenix

Forager
Jul 8, 2008
Kent
Well it beats sleeping in the horse box at the bottom of the beer garden, especially if you have to share.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE