Loads of chestnuts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Hi all,
Managed to collect nine and a bit pounds of sweet chestnuts in a bit of opportunistic forraging today. Some will be roasted (very soon :wink:), some will go to make HFW's sweet chestnun puree. Any suggestions for the rest?
Cheers
David

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Chestnut soup

1lb Chestnuts
1pint milk
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 Onion
1/2 pint veg stock
2 tablespoons oil

Boil chestnuts for an hour in water then remove skins and puree with liquidiser, adding some stock.
Dice onions up fine and fry in oil, then add to stock
add the chestnut puree
simmer til it thickens add half the milk and simmer for another 5 mins, then add the rest, stir frequently and add spices, salt and pepper and simmer for another half an hour or so, perhaps liquidising again according to personal preference.

Said to be a main course, so dont do it before Sunday lunch or the missus will never forgive you!

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
beachlover said:
Said to be a main course, so dont do it before Sunday lunch or the missus will never forgive you!

Sounds good,
I do 90% of the cooking (Sarah most of the baking) so no problem there!
Cheers
David

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Glad to here it and know there are other blokes like me!
We had the kitchen fitters round this year and they insisted on talking to the other half about the design and couldn't cope when she told them it was me who used it not her!
Think they were a bit suspicious to start with!

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
I can't get enough roasted chestnuts, but that soup sounds great...

I had some chestnuts given to me in syrup a while back, they were lovely, but not sure how to prepare them... :?:

Foraging is great :biggthump
chestnuts.jpg

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Nice forage dtalbot :biggthump

Check out this web site. It is an American farmer producer of chestnuts and they have lots of very good info.

Chestnuts Online

Do check out the 'COOKING' section and especially how to properly prepare roast chestnuts, processing/ storage and a great recipe page here:

Chestnuts Online - Recipes

Because sweet chestnuts do not last well they recommend storing them in a plastic bag with holes cut in it and a moist cloth on top and kept in a cool humid place. More detail on link above.

We are lucky around here because they are found in nearly every hedgrow and there are 'Chataigne' woods with just sweet chestnuts growing which used to be fed to the pigs. I read in a book by Eric Newby the travel writer, 'Love and War in the Apennines' that they literally lived off them during the war in the Apennine mountain region of Italy. Sadly the woods are now going over as they no longer bother with the nuts or the pigs. But local people certainly get out and pick lots. They make a wonderful 'Crème de marrons' and very good with vanilla ( real of course!) flavour. Can't find a recipe or too late to ask around, sorry :cry:

I am going to make some flour from the ones I have got to use out and about. Chestnuts are unusual for nuts in that they are low fat (1% I think) but really high in carbohydrates which is good for us bushcrafters where it is tough to find from wild plant sources. The flour is best mixed with normal flour only up to 20% for baking bread as it affects the ability of the wheat flower to prove properly. But it is used 100% for some pastries and other foods in Italy. And for Marrons glacé of course :wink:

You may not know and nor did I until I guy showed me whilst fishing the other day that they are fine to eat raw :) Just make sure you remove the pellicle (secondary downy skin underneath the hard shell) which is bitter by scrapping off. Really nice actually as a snack and when you don't have a fire handy for roasting. And also they are one of the best sources of a natural sweet taste :lol:

Simon

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Piccie of my haul in the gallery now, along with the crabapple (well some of it) jelly from a couple of weeks ago. Green tomato chutney done today, sloe and damson gin and vodka on the go, more CAJ to do still along with the picked onions, chestnut puree and no doubt loads of other things from the mellow fuitfullness of the season.
Still waiting for the first frost!
Cheers
David

leon-1

No sweet chestnuts are not conkers, Horse chestnuts are conkers. The outer casing of a Sweet chestnut is spiny and relatively thin, whereas the horse chestnut has a thicker outer casing which has shorter stubbier blunter spikes.

You would also notice the difference as soon as you bit into one :wink:

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
willie said:
my mate was asking if sweet chesnuts were conkers ??? im sure they are

They are actually member of different plant families .

To avoid confusion check out the indentification links to each (SAPS is a great site for identifying British, European trees with from leaves, winter twigs etc :biggthump ):

Sweet Chestnut - Castanea sativa

Fruit%20chestnut.jpg

----------------------

Horse Chestnut/ 'Conkers' - Aesculus hippocastanum

Fruit%20conker.JPG

Neither are native trees but naturalised introductions.

Finaly apparently a chant used before engaging in a game of 'Conkers'! Very British :). I never heard of it but......

Obly, obly-onker
My best conker
Obly, obly O,
My best go.

In Britain you can tell a 'Conker' tree because in the Autumn it is the one kids are throwing big sticks up into apparently in search of an invisible prey :approve: In France zillions of hug fat conkers just lie on the ground. My kids just can't resist such treasures, and nor can I :wink:

Simon

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Sweet Chestnut,
Is a very good survival food, not as sweet as our European variety, but is high in complex carbohydrates, low in fat and protein.

Horse Chestnut,
Is not really edible, although is a good food source if it is properly prepared. Prolonged soaking to remove the bitter tannins.

Frogo

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
sweet chestnut nice to eat,candied,roast,pureed,used as stuffing Mmmmmmmm :wink: horse chestnut good for playing conkers and errr making little conker men and errr :?: :rolmao: Both woods are lovely to carve though, chestnut burls can be huge and when worked look amazing!

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Frogo said:
Sweet Chestnut,
Is a very good survival food, not as sweet as our European variety, but is high in complex carbohydrates, low in fat and protein.

Horse Chestnut,
Is not really edible, although is a good food source if it is properly prepared. Prolonged soaking to remove the bitter tannins.

Frogo

What do you mean about "not as sweet as our European variety" Frogo? I missed the other sort you refer to. In America the natives, 'American Chestnut' (Castanea dentata) and 'Chinkapin' Castanea pumila were decimated by disease brought in by exotic species from China. Replanting was done with hybrids with the Chinese varieties as they had some resistance to the diseases. Also in Europe. You referring to these?

I would not say that Horse Chestnut is a 'good' food source. It is basically starch after processing. It was used for feeding to animals after processing although pigs apparently would not touch the stuff. One reason for the name. 'Horse' Chestnut. The other is the horse shoe shape of the leaf base and on the scar left on the wood.

Care should be taken with preparation to ensure the saponins are removed which are toxic to humans and domestic animals. Incidentally it is the saponin that gives the leaves their soap-like property which I seem to remember Ray Mears demonstrating once.

Sweet Chestnuts are certainly one of the best foraging sources of carbohydrate and nice raw too ;-)

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Moonraker said:
What do you mean about "not as sweet as our European variety" Frogo? I missed the other sort you refer to. In America the natives, 'American Chestnut' (Castanea dentata) and 'Chinkapin' Castanea pumila were decimated by disease brought in by exotic species from China. Replanting was done with hybrids with the Chinese varieties as they had some resistance to the diseases. Also in Europe. You referring to these?

I would not say that Horse Chestnut is a 'good' food source. It is basically starch after processing. It was used for feeding to animals after processing although pigs apparently would not touch the stuff. One reason for the name. 'Horse' Chestnut. The other is the horse shoe shape of the leaf base and on the scar left on the wood.

Care should be taken with preparation to ensure the saponins are removed which are toxic to humans and domestic animals. Incidentally it is the saponin that gives the leaves their soap-like property which I seem to remember Ray Mears demonstrating once.

Sweet Chestnuts are certainly one of the best foraging sources of carbohydrate and nice raw too ;-)
The Sweet chestnut that grows on the continent has a longer ripening period due to the summers being longer, as are not.

Horse chestnuts, are starch, what are carbohydrates???

Frogo

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Frogo said:
The Sweet chestnut that grows on the continent has a longer ripening period due to the summers being longer, as are not.
Yep. It is the longer, warmer climate which provides the prolonged ripening season. The naturalised tree is the same species though to that which grows in Britain, Castanea sativa. many different varieties are grown commercially.

Horse chestnuts, are starch, what are carbohydrates???
Carbohydrate comes in various forms including glucose, fructose, cellulose and starch , and these exist in all plants. The digestibility of the carbohydrate varies between these forms.

The reason I would say the horse chestnut nuts/ conkers are not 'good' food is because the time and effort required processing them to render them safe (by removing the toxic saponins notably aescin) and it also removes pretty much all the valuable vitamins and minerals at the same time. More detail:

The seed is quite large, about 3cm in diameter, and is easily harvested. It is usually produced in abundance in Britain. Unfortunately the seed is also rich in saponins, these must be removed before it can be used as a food and this process also removes many of the minerals and vitamins, leaving behind mainly starch. See also the notes above on toxicity. The seed contains up to 40% water, 8 - 11% protein and 8 - 26% toxic saponins
source: Duke. J. A. and Ayensu. E. S. Medicinal Plants of China Reference Publications, Inc. 1985

This is also mentioned on the BBC web site:

Conkers, unlike the seeds of the sweet chestnut, are not easily edible, as they contain poisonous saponins, along with aescin, which can cause vomiting and paralysis. They can be rendered safe by crushing and leaching with water, or by slow cooking, but the remaining food is largely starch.
source: BBC - h2g2 - Horse Chestnut Tree

The native American Indians would render them harmless by slow-roasting the nuts and then cutting them into thin slices, putting them into a cloth bag and rinsing them in a stream for 2 - 5 days.

So sure, it could be considered an emergency food source but not one you would look to generally. There are quite a few herbal uses for the plant and as a soap as mentioned above.

Now sweets chestnuts are a different story ;-) There is a very good breakdown of their nutritional value here:

Nutritional Value of (Sweet) Chestnuts Dried chestnuts appear an ideal way to store and carry chestnuts (and as flour although it goes rancid quickly).

You may also consider it's use in an emergency situation to help gather other food source; fish! Plants containing high levels of saponins such as horse chestnut have been (and are still used in some regions of the world notably the Amazon rain forest by indigenous tribes) as fish poisons. They have a much lower tolerance to the chemical than humans hence this use. In fact although fishing using poisons is understandably banned in most countries, I know this method has been used in recent conflicts in former Jugoslavia to feed soldiers and give them a valuable source of protein (another plant was used on that occasion).

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE