Loads of chestnuts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Anybody know the shelf life of a sweet chestnut...I picked up absolutely loads today and would like to keep them for a bit. I noted the plastic bag with holes in option...anybody else any further advice?

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
i guess cool dark and dry are the things to aim for kim

i am not a fan of plastic but recommend paper bags if you can get them

fruit and veg can leave condensation on the inside of plastic, which can help rot get into whatever you are storing faster than it would otherwise

alternative, spread them out in a smallish cardboard box like you can pick up free in the supermarket to put your groceries in

Tant

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
or keep them some where cool and dry, perhaps pack them in dry sand in a box a layer of sand, nuts, then topped with sand, other edibles can be stored this way , veggy's, nuts ect ive got some in an old sack in my shed which are ok..

c2518

Nov 1, 2004
Cumbria
Peel them, boil for a couple of minutes and eat while still warm...remember to eat fast before someone else finds out how good they taste!!

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
He he...just followed the internet links posted earlier on this thread and entered cooking sweet chestnuts...on google.com.

Simple, but effective! That's my weekend sorted, cooking it is then.

Moine

Forager
Hi all :)

I eat them raw ;)

Ok, ok. They're better roasted over an open flame (frying pan with holed punched in it) or better yet in hot ashes/coals, in the middle of nowhere.

Over here, we call those trees "Arbre à pain", meaning "bread tree". That's because people used to make flour out of the chestnuts (still done in some regions). It gives a very good, nutritive bread.

Cheers,

David

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
I tried them raw too for the first time recently whilst fishing for brochet when my friend showed me. That's what I love about the French, they still know many ways to eat most anything :eek:):

In fact he showed me to remove the pellicle (the downy inner skin) first which is bitter. It tasted very good I have to say.

We have some chestnuts here which I want to make into flour. Only problem I find that if you are not quick there are worms that eat the whole dam bag and also they do not last and go off quickly unless stored cold.

There is a good site with lots of info on them here:

Chestnutsonline.com

One of the photos I posted in the other photo thread was of our village going out to collect châtaigne around here. Nearly all the village kids were there and lots of families too. We picked over 10kg and then they were roast right away over oak fires with people just eating them off the table with greedy fingers :) Of course there was some nice cider to wash them down with :lol: Here are some photos which really make me happy to think of both young and old experiencing food for free from nature.

Everyone out for a lovely sunny Autumn day in the woods collecting chestnuts. Everyone is having fun.
fam-chataigne_muret_01.jpg

This is a photo of my son and a friend carrying over 10kg of chestnuts back using a wooden pole I cut for them. I was amazed at their determination to carry it over 1km back! Give kids a challenge and they usually respond :wink:
fam-chataigne_muret_02.jpg

The chestnuts are usually cooked like this in a metal cylinder with holes in it (maybe the inside of an old washing machine) over oak logs and turned every so often until perfectly cooked. Again the kids can't stay away from helping out.
fam-chataigne_muret_03.jpg

And the final reward for the efforts. Piles of freshly roasted hot chestnuts being eaten right off the table. The shells are ripped off and hot chestnuts popped into the mouth for that sweet, moist floury mouthful of taste.
fam-chataigne_muret_04.jpg

Actually most of the sweet chestnuts here were planted to feed the pigs up until the 2nd WW. There are still small stone huts where they used to dry the nuts in the autumn and feed the pigs in the winter. I bet the ham tasted wonderful! Sadly as with a lot of old practice that way of farming has all but gone but everyone goes out and forages in the autumn for all sorts of things which is good.

Do you have similar local events David up with you? Or maybe other people do this in their villages?

Finally some info on Sweet Chestnut flour which really shows what a good food it is:

CHESTNUT FLOUR
Botanical Family: Sapindaceae Also known as Farina dolce (in Italy)

Description: Milled from dried and roasted sweet chestnuts (Castanea sativa). Main European source is Italy (Piedmont).

Nutrition analysis / 100g: Protein 5.2g Carbohydrate 57.4g Analysis/100g Fat 1.0g Fibre 22g

Useful source of: Vitamins C, B1, B2, Protein, Fibre.

Good Qualities: Nutritionally useful source of flavour and texture in gluten-free baking. Used in distinctive regional recipes (eg castagnaccio), sometimes on its own and sometimes with wheat flour. Naturally sweet.

Problems: If too much is used, flavour can be overwhelming. Some people dislike the 'pasty' mouthfeel of chestnut. May be hard to find in the shops. Available by mail order on the internet. Expensive.

Cooking notes: Can be used successfully, at around 10% of flour weight, in breads, cakes, biscuits and even pastry. Not as absorbent as rice flour unless pre-cooked to form a purée.

General Assessment: An underrated gluten-free ingredient, offering flavour and nutritional quality in a flour that has an impressive culinary history. A fine product of a theoretically 'sustainable' forest agriculture.

Pam Says: Obviously not a flour for nut allergics. Be especially careful about possible contamination. Quite sweet & sticky to use.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
It looks like a completely brilliant get together. My chestnut get together consisted of me, in the kitchen, making chestnut soap...which tasted wonderful!

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Kim said:
It looks like a completely brilliant get together. My chestnut get together consisted of me, in the kitchen, making chestnut soap...which tasted wonderful!

I hate to ask but were you on the Chestnut wine before making the soap :rolmao:

Frogo

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Kim said:

doesn't it make you froth at the mouth though ?

Tant :?:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE