Load Carrying kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Tor , I was very tempted to buy one of then Jerven tarps last year but the lack of breatherbility put me off , how do you get on with it , thay are very light and well made .

Twodogs

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Tor, I'll second the last question: how is it to use the Fjellduken as a sleeping bag. I've used it as a bivvy in extreme cold but I still wonder how it performs used a a single sleeping bag and what you've come up based on experience with regard to a temp rating.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I can't do with stuff hanging off me as it bugs the hell out of me.

Therefore everything gets put in a Karrimomr Hot 30 daysack with the exception of my knife which lives on my belt. I'll have my tinder pouch in my trouser pocket but that's about it..

Dave_the_Pilgrim

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2009
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
Now thats where I also move, away from general public. Deep into the forest, through swamps and mires, to see some wildlife. Of course I´m all dirty when I come back.
For the original question, where to keep things, I keep it in the rucksack. But that belt kit is alright IMHO. But I also tend to carrying very few items with me, and knife, compass, first aid, flashlight, firesteel and whistle I carry in my pants. The rest, like, sleeping bag, hammock, tarp, stove is in the rucksack. My nalgene bottle is on belt.

Andreas

When I talk about belt kit I'm not talking about looking like some SAS wannabe with a million pouches all camm'd up and strolling around like Rambo. I have my old 58 patt belt with a clasp knife in a green webbing sleeve pouch (also issue), a sheath knife, one or two water bottles (one aluminium, one plastic with one metal mug and a millbank bag and sterilising tabs) depending on weather and availablity of. I also have an old pouch that carries a messtin and brew kit with hexi stove inside or food.

Of course if I'm somewhere where there's lots of other folk then I put all that in a 30 litre pack along with a few other comforts.

Dave

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I don't know if I'm dense or the website is unclear; when the size is given as 143x143 cm, is that the total size, or the size of the folded tarp?

Those are the dimensions, but I think its a bag rather than a tarp as we'd normally think of one.

Stuart from this forum reviewed one and the manufacturer have a copy on their site here.

It does look like a cracking bit of kit :)

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Those are the dimensions, but I think its a bag rather than a tarp as we'd normally think of one.

Stuart from this forum reviewed one and the manufacturer have a copy on their site here.

It does look like a cracking bit of kit :)

Based on the pictures in the review I then guess; "twice the size given, closed with a zipper to a bag". In that case the "original" is actually about the size of a normal basha, but folded up. Correct?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Based on the pictures in the review I then guess; "twice the size given, closed with a zipper to a bag". In that case the "original" is actually about the size of a normal basha, but folded up. Correct?

That is my understanding, hopefully Tor or Stuart will be along to confirm later :)

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Tor, I'll second the last question: how is it to use the Fjellduken as a sleeping bag. I've used it as a bivvy in extreme cold but I still wonder how it performs used a a single sleeping bag and what you've come up based on experience with regard to a temp rating.

I`m actually not using the Jerven tarp as a sleeping bag. My model is too small. I use it as a tarp, groundcloth, rain poncho, to ward of wind/cold when post hunting (moose) and as a "survival bag" (luckily not done that yet). On this trip I primarely used it as a raincover for my blanket. This is one item I always carry with me in the forest.
But you are right that the breathability is poor. Not so much that you will suffocate though. But moisture will biuld up inside when used as a closed bag.
When I`m hunting I sometimes use a candle in a tin between my feet to get rid of the moisture buildup inside the bag.
There are many larger and more elaborate models of the Jerven tarp, but I find most of them too heavy, and all of them too expensive.

You are correct about the size Forestwalker. It is 143cmx143cm when used as a bag wich means you can sit in it, but not lie down. Unless you are very small:) .

And Dave, I thought you meant using the whole military rig, and that is something I don`t do. But I use a belt with a knife and wooden cup (sometimes with an added canvas butt pack). It is shown besides the axe on my photo . And my pockets are always "stuffed" with odds and ends, like compass, matches, ferro rod, whistle, DMT hone and so on.
Those are also part of the stuff I always carry.

Tor

forestwalker

I`m actually not using the Jerven tarp as a sleeping bag. My model is too small. I use it as a tarp, groundcloth, rain poncho, to ward of wind/cold when post hunting (moose) and as a "survival bag" (luckily not done that yet). On this trip I primarely used it as a raincover for my blanket. This is one item I always carry with me in the forest.

A bit like a poncho then. I use ponchos a bit like that myself quite a bit. Once uppon a time Fjällräven made a 3 m long poncho, but I might make my own out of extra durable fabric (150 g/m^2 shouid last a few years...). Or just carry a small basha.

You are correct about the size Forestwalker. It is 143cmx143cm when used as a bag wich means you can sit in it, but not lie down. Unless you are very small:) .

Not my game unless I have to. Tried the trash bag and tea candle "shelter" once. Worked, but a pain to deal with. I'll stick with a poncho/basha+blanket combo.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
...A bit like a poncho then. I use ponchos a bit like that myself quite a bit. Once uppon a time Fjällräven made a 3 m long poncho, but I might make my own out of extra durable fabric (150 g/m^2 shouid last a few years...). Or just carry a small basha...

Some ideas for making your own, this über poncho from Germany looks impressive.

Pic here

Link for German online retailer here

Ideal for the lightweight bushcrafter :D

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Ok - I'm intrigued - what do people use to keep warm at night? I have an ancient, vast, heavy Karrimor sleeping bag, speckled with spark-holes - what should I replace it with, that rolls up small, keeps me warm and is good around a fire? In Africa I used a simple felt blanket, but the moths have had that, so what should I use here?

N

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Yup webbing for me,
i have used all sorts in this order:
british1972 patten (yup the rare one:cool: )
US ALICE webbing*
DPM cop vest
1958 Pattern (T.A. issue)
South African Defence force vest(brown and about 20 pouches)
British Army chest webbing DPM
PLCE webbing DPM*
mixture of PLCE pouches in SAS Belt order configuration*
US SWAT vest
Arktis webbing*
and present set
SAS canvas webbing pouches*.

Out of this lot i only have and use this and The Aktis set.

with this I've gone through around 7 rucksacks! :rolleyes:
(when i say SAS it's just a name i've called it, though it is copied from photo's of SAS kit.

(* I have photos of these sets and contents if anyone is interested)
:)

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Go on then.
I'd really like to see the sets.
I'm sure remember a review of several of those sets in one of the old swat manuals.:cool: :rolleyes: :D

I really want to see the kit you keep in each pouch as well tho':cool:

11b inf

Jan 8, 2008
phx. az
dave ever since i read Loftys book S.A.S. survival guide about 20 odd years ago i started using this British style belt order....and use the British S.A.S survival theme of a small survival tin kept in the pocket and a web belt with a water bottle or two, a sheath knife and survival pouch with even more sustainment items carried inside a messtin in the pouch...over the years the style and type of webbing and type of pouches has changed but i still maintain Loftys old theme of keeping your last ditich survival items close to hand ...also i'm to old to worry what somebody who does not know me thinks of me and my equipment ,life is to short for that.. i just go out and have a good time ...vince g.11b inf....

forestwalker

dave ever since i read Loftys book S.A.S. survival guide about 20 odd years ago i started using this British style belt order....and use the British S.A.S survival theme of a small survival tin kept in the pocket and a web belt with a water bottle or two, a sheath knife and survival pouch with even more sustainment items carried inside a messtin in the pouch.

IIRC Mors in one of his booklets suggests a kit inside a small cookpot. Something like one of the Trangia coffepots or something like the Eagle products (my bookmarks say http://www.eagle-sharp.no, but the site does not respond right now) if you prefer steel.

Note to fans of the overweight boy scout; he has one of their kettles in one or two pictures in his photo book. ;-)

/Par

forestwalker

Ok - I'm intrigued - what do people use to keep warm at night? I have an ancient, vast, heavy Karrimor sleeping bag, speckled with spark-holes - what should I replace it with, that rolls up small, keeps me warm and is good around a fire? In Africa I used a simple felt blanket, but the moths have had that, so what should I use here?

Anything from various sleping bags to wool blankets to fires and good shelters. All depends on what I'm doing.

Usually a reindeer hide underneat, sometimes a closed cell foam pad (double layer in winter, usally one of each). The reindeer hide I use in summer is cut down to a more rectagular shape (i.e. trimmed the sides) and stored inside an old Swedish Army "duffle bag" (cylindrical cotton canvas drawstring bag), usually inside a trash can liner for water protection.

No "puncture mats" (Thermarest). Tried one in the 1980's, saw the problems and gave it away.

Dave_the_Pilgrim

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2009
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
dave ever since i read Loftys book S.A.S. survival guide about 20 odd years ago i started using this British style belt order....and use the British S.A.S survival theme of a small survival tin kept in the pocket and a web belt with a water bottle or two, a sheath knife and survival pouch with even more sustainment items carried inside a messtin in the pouch...over the years the style and type of webbing and type of pouches has changed but i still maintain Loftys old theme of keeping your last ditich survival items close to hand ...also i'm to old to worry what somebody who does not know me thinks of me and my equipment ,life is to short for that.. i just go out and have a good time ...vince g.11b inf....

Hi Vince,
You're a man after my own heart !!
I'd very much like to see your kit and contents. I'll try to do the same myself this weekend. Saturday is a dead loss though.; kayaking in the morning and rugby the rest of the day. GO ENGLAND LOL

I'm never quite sure with other bushcrafters if the idea is to take as little as possible and make everything or manage or if it's o.k. to carry everything you need to do what you want.

Dave

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I'm never quite sure with other bushcrafters if the idea is to take as little as possible and make everything or manage or if it's o.k. to carry everything you need to do what you want.

Well, there's a thorny question. Personally I always take the "essentials", and use bushcraft techniques to make the luxuries. It's nice to know that you can manage without the "essentials" if the worst comes to the worst, but it's not generally a situation I put myself in willingly.

11b inf

Jan 8, 2008
phx. az
hey forestwalker i always hear great things about Mors k. and his bushcraft skills also ideas on kit....on this side of the pond ,for me at least his books and booklets etc. are hard to come by...i would truly enjoy reading his ideas on bushcraft here in Arizona...by the way the Swedish folks also make some top notch items of outdoor kit and the idea of putting survival items in a cooking vessel is starting to catch on here in the states..Dave i'll really have to work on getting some pics up as i'm not a techno guy and do'nt have the were with all yet to do it,but i will ask my buddys and see if they can help me get something up...as i AM a gearhead and would like to show you folks on that side of the pond my equipment...vince g. 11b inf

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE