Llangollen group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Every time i turn my back for 5 minutes you lot are inuendoing left right and centre!

There'll be non of that in the wood you know. It's a local wood, for local bushcrafters . . .

Almost packed and getting ready to strike out into the wintry wetness with a spring in my voice and a whistle in my step.

Couple of things.

T-ligths or candles. Anyone want to bring some. I left a bunch there last time but can't remember how many. Also if anyone has a tub or bag of sawdust saved and you're not going to be using it for anything in particular can I have it?

Water carrier. Last time we were fortunate that Red Kite had one with him so if anyone else has one then please bring it. I'd buy one but I'm stupidly broke.

If, like me, you enjoy some baked beans with your corned beef hash then could you bring some. I'm probably walking in so all the spuds, corned beef, beer, beer and beer will be enough to carry without baked beans. I have to prioritise in such circumstances as I'm sure you understand.

That's all I can think of. Oh, I saw Ray last night and nearly invited him but he looked a bit fed up so I didn't. However, I charmed him as best I could with a view to interviewing him sometime so, you never know, we may get him down to the wood one day. Maybe we could teach him a thing or two!

see you later kids

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Oh, I saw Ray last night and nearly invited him but he looked a bit fed up so I didn't. However, I charmed him as best I could with a view to interviewing him sometime so, you never know, we may get him down to the wood one day. Maybe we could teach him a thing or two!

Blimey it was you then! I saw you walking along the bottom run of the grandstand - I think it was on the way in after half time and I thought to myself 'Bloody Nora he looks like David :eek: ' but I didn't want to start waving like a goon to some poor random bloke so I left it and though to keep an eye out later but didn't spot you again. I was in the centre area about half way up near the sound desk.

:D

Jul 18, 2008
Frodsham
Hi all

Classic first post newbie experience but what the hell. Elevenses put me onto you guys. Am keen on coming over if that's ok and to sweeten the deal my landie is on the road and the correct colour for a cab.

My bushcraft skills are almost non-existent but I have been known to light a fire every now and again.

Jon

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Heya

I'd say sorry for the sudden departure but I'm not sorry so I won't. I'm sure you all managed wonderfully without me. Was getting into my mother hen thing which may have been all me but, to be honest, I think was kind of both ways to differing extents depending on the relative contexts of whatnots and assorted thingyummy bobs along the lines of 'how long is an umbilical cord?'

Welcome to the wood kids.

So. What can I say about the meet? In fact, what can I say about the two meets so far? Far too much for this short attention span space so i'll be brief.

In short - excellent. To be more specific what a fantastic bunch of folk. I know me and Intrepid had a difference earlier but I'm sure that's behind us and, to be honest, I really like Stu. Well, I like everyone - just in case anybody is still speculating as to my sudden departure. Nope, love you all. Haven't laughed that much in years - literally. Not only that but was overjoyed to hear some wonderful things. loads of them like how bushcrafters tend not to be interested in football and especially what elevenses said on the subject about footballers not being heroes. couldn't have dreamt of better company. Great food too and a really nice day down at the mini-stoneage-medieval-fair thing. Cracking.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Another well organised meet by David. Didnt get alot of actual bushcrafting done because when you are actualy IN the wilds you also have to look after your food and shelter first. Suzanne had a massive headache (still has actualy) and has aquired about 10 bites from our lovely forest creatures. Managed my very first night in a hammock though, and for all those who have not yet tried it, I totaly recommend it. Only thing left now is a Bivy bag.

Im glad we have some good cooks in the group. Nat's Lobby (tata ash) was lovely, as was Davids. Im only sorry I didnt get to sample some of Stews birds.

I saw some of Chris G's contraptions for cooking and boy, that guys full of bloody good ideas that I hope to be copying soon.

It was good to have the Manc accents of Mat and John around (Nat's sounds a little Oldam), and It looks like Im not the only one who gets chased by the smoke from the campfire (sitting opposite Nat keeps the smoke out of your eyes).

Anyway, next time I go, Its bushcraft practice only (after putting up tents....etc...) and Im roping everyone in with me.

Cheers Guys Hope to see you all again too.
Stu.

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
I'll talk to Dave the Wood in the next couple of weeks and we'll get a decision on what he wants for the future - then everyone who's been so far will have access when they want. I'll sort out something like a google account that you can access with a calendar to book your trips - mostly so Dave the Wood knows who's down and can let you know if he's felling trees or the like. I'll probably include contact details too (if he's okay with that) so you can contact him yourselves directly.

If anyone wants to go beforehand then let me know and I'll tell Dave.

Once again, thanks for a great couple of meets and I hope you enjoy many more good times down at the wood.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Just a couple of nice snaps from the wood to tempt people to the next meet (August I think).

LLangollen_2027Small.jpg

LLangollen_2030Small.jpg

If anyone knows what the plant below is (2 photos of same plant) can they let me know. I Think it is Deadly Knightshade.
LLangollen_2020_Small.jpg

LLangollen_2024_Small.jpg

soggy boots

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2007
Manchester
Thanks Lighfoot for organising this event and to all the people involved.
I had a great time and the company, as usual, were very friendly.
Thanks especially for the lifts to and from Ruabon station by Lightfoot and Red Kite.
Look forward to the next meet!!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Looks like you all had a great time. Sorry I didn't make it - My computer crashed at home and the school filters block BcUk so I could not get directions.

I now have a new PC so hopefully won't miss anything else!

Simon

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Hi all

Thanks Dave for organising another excellent weekend. Its good to see more people in the woods.

Stu - I think the plants you found are Herb Paris - very poisonous so dont be tempted by those juicy berries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_quadrifolia

look forward to the next time

ATB

Stewart

Yeah, I put it in another thread as well and somebody kindly ID'd it for me.
See you around the woods some time Stew (If not at the next meet).

Intrepid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE