Living in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
The depressing part in this thread for me comes from early replies to the op, in that all land is owned, be it by private individuals or governments, what is technically being said is nowhere on the entire plant can you truely be free.

What would happen if a lot of land were totally free? A lot of not so good things, me thinks.

I think the Norwegian "allemannsretten" (freedom to roam) is a good way of organizing things; freedom and rules in a good mix.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
As long as you make no established residence, you are free to camp here on "Crown Land", just about anywhere you like.
Up the Holmes River valley (20 minutes from my house) there are many spectacular camp sites.
10' - 20' of snow in the winter and prime grizzly bear habitat in summer are mitigating factors.

You can apply for permit to make substantial improvements to Crown Land with a view to eventual purchase.
Very few do.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I doubt we will, I'll be kind and say his plan was a tad flawed but he got honest answers which he did not accept or want to hear.
w

Is it me but do we get alot of these fantasy ideas from new members who appear during the school holidays? To walk off and never be seen again...

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
w

Is it me but do we get alot of these fantasy ideas from new members who appear during the school holidays? To walk off and never be seen again...

Lets hope the OP at least took a little of the honest advice onboard and did not literally walk off into the woods never to be seen again with flesh still on his bones

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
Well Andy, in Scotland there has been for many years no law of trespass, and now there is a right to roam, and to wild camp. Of course, some landowners are trying to resist this, in a variety of nefarious and illegal ways, so yes, some bad things are happening, but all one has to do is to POLITELY STAND UP TO & CORRECT THEM.
The Scottish Government has also facilitatted and part-funded a number of community buy-outs, where land is becomes owned collectively, and here visitors are positively encouraged, with additional facilities often being made availale at bargain prices - eg in Assynt, a former private estate, where the trout-fishing is famed, a week's Rover Ticket for literally thousands of lochs in world-famous scenery costs just £25 - and of course you can wild camp in this glorious wilderness.
"I think the Norwegian "allemannsretten" (freedom to roam) is a good way of organizing things; freedom and rules in a good mix."
Agreed, and it's similar here, mutual respect, care for wild and commercial animals, birds, the environment, closing gates, leaving no traces etc - it's not rocket science.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I do not understand the community buy-out facility in Scotland for more than the curtilage of people's houses. Seems unfair that whole estates can so be disposed.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Why ?
If an entire estate is already rented and worked by local families, and I know of farms that the same family has rented for two hundred years but have no 'right' to, and they can do nothing to improve their homes or lands or to develop their community because some absentee landlord 'owns' the land……why should they not be able to come together as a community to buy out that which as individuals they could never hope to afford ?
It's not a free gift; there's a great deal of work and effort and commitment goes into a community buy out.

It's not a negative thing for estates either; indeed many are actively involved in the whole process.
http://www.scottishlandandestates.c...-buyout-scheme&catid=73:south-west&Itemid=172

Not all buy outs are entire estates anyway, but those do cover the largest amount of land held by fewest people.

M

http://www.communitylandscotland.org.uk
http://www.cadispa.org/index.php/aboutus

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:sigh:

No, it's not a free gift, they have to pay for it. The money is a loan, like a special kind of mortgage.
It's makes a community into a company in effect. There are grants available, just like the ones that folks with listed buildings can apply for, but they don't cover the costs or even nearly cover the costs.

That newspaper report isn't exactly relevant anyway. Only one quote in it is worth making.

Political ? from a very different society with a very different view of our use of our land, perhaps. To us, it's just getting on with things :D

"We have always said that community ownership empowers communities, sparks regeneration and drives renewal which is why we have an ambitious target to get one million acres of land into community ownership by 2020."

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/People/engage/empowerment/casestudies/buyout

M

Last edited:

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
sorry for typos - whereas the prime minister has an "INTEREST-FREE" £270,000 mortgage - in fact the interest is paid for him by the citizens of the "uk"...

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"Calling it fishing would imply that I catch fish, I don't I sacrifice tackle to the various gods and goddesses of the marine world. "
LOL! calling it fishing implies I am TRYING to catch fish - I call it angling, so it doesn't matter, it's just a pastime.
As I've said before, lochan & burn/tarn & beck trout fishing is actually easy esp in good conditions ie garden fly(worm) in the rain - which is often the case...

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Comparing like with unlike is pointless, comparison with Alex Salmond's expenses and mortgage receipts would be more appropriate. But,Gigha has improved thanks to the money to help the buy-out and continuing input from the Big Lottery Fund, shame about its (is it £3 million in November 2014?) debts and the dissatisfaction of some of its residents.

No matter though just congratulations to the lucky residents who happen to benefit from a Community buy-out.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh get over it, and you could instead push for elsewhere to do something suitably sane. There are a heck of a lot of folks elsewhere in the UK who would appreciate the opportunity to be part of a community buy out.

Think on the folks who are not in agreement like shareholders; you can never please everyone all of the time. So long as the majority vote carries, then that's really how it goes.
Gigha has £2.75m debt, but it has £7.5million in assets. They have their work cut out for them, but it's not unfeasible, and the debt was accrued in making a lot of their homes fit to live in.
http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/herald-view/good-luck-to-gigha-in-balancing-the-books.25987426

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/heritage/the-island-of-gigha-a-community-under-threat-1-2166759

As for Mr Salmond …. he claims a blooming sight less than permitted…and let's try to avoid the political debate shall we ?

M

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Think it is safe to say if the OP comes back and has a read he/she will be thinking what the hell are these nutters on about, it's as offtopic as being on topic could be, in a roundabout way it's still almost just about access to the land, thereabouts

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
That sounds like my sewing technique

As Colin would say

I'll get me coat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE