little scandi just finished

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
​just made this little 3" bladed scandi in 2mm o1 and brown canvas micarta. just needs a sheath. i know some hate scandi's... me? i love them them and seems the thinner the better. cuts through green wood like a lazer!

​
​​

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Lovely little knife. A scandi grind on 2mm stock is much, much underestimated imo

Give a fella two knives that are exactly the same except one is 2mm the other is 4mm and i'd bet he'll be reaching for the 2mm one after a bit of use

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Lovely little knife. A scandi grind on 2mm stock is much, much underestimated imo

Give a fella two knives that are exactly the same except one is 2mm the other is 4mm and i'd bet he'll be reaching for the 2mm one after a bit of use

I never quite understood why people like such thick blades, I find even 3mm is a bit thick for the way I use a knife. 2-2.5mm seems about right.

J

juliojordio1983

Forager
Oct 15, 2015
Blackpool
I never quite understood why people like such thick blades, I find even 3mm is a bit thick for the way I use a knife. 2-2.5mm seems about right.

J

I think psychologically that the extra width means extra strength to most people. Or maybe better at battoning?

I have a 4mm Bushcrafter made by Lance Ockenden (Driftwoodwalker) and i don't find the thickness hinders use in any way. Although a thinner stock will always slice better, which is why i usually have a PM2 in my pocket with a low angle convex edge.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Thin blades are traditional in Scandinavia and Finland. Thick blades are a newfangled idea.
Thin blades cut much better than thick, hence the thickness ( thinness?) of knifes used in the kitchens.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Great job Mark, love the blade profile. As per what Si states, you'd never have trouble selling anything like that.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The Same knife calked Stuorraniibi, called Huggare in Swedish translates to large knife or chopper.
You use it to take down smalker trees or dividing branches. Thin blade.
It is all in the technique.

Axe was invented for heavy work.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Why do they come in so many different sizes then?

Axes? Depending on the intended target. Large trees and professionals- heavy axes on long handles.
Thin branches, cleaving firewood - light, short handles.

Axes can be used to cut, rough cut.
I did a deer once with a hatchet, just for fun. Worked, but a Knife is better, with a saw forthe bone cuts.

If you mean knifes, most trad knifes were thin. Look on one of the most versatile edged tools, the machete.
Does everything from slicing soft tissue to ckearing bushes with stems many inches across.
I marvel at the skill of my gardeners, when they prepare a coconut to refreshen themselves. Artists.

The Same would feel at home with OP's knife. Design, size.
I think it would make a good Reindeer marking knife!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE