Little bit of glass knapping for the first time

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Have been watching quite a few videos recently on Flint and glass knapping and decided to have a middle at trying to make an arrow head.

I started out with 4 bottles, 2 Budweiser and 2 wine. I firstly removed the bottom of the bottles by putting a nail inside the bottle point down and shaking it up and down until the bottom came off.

From there is set about grinding and knapping.

The first few bottle bottoms broke and didn't work at all, the one slip showed me how sharp the glass actually is.

e9uqu8av.jpg

ze3umehy.jpg

After cleaning my knuckle up I carried on working away and ended up with this:

a4uqe5ag.jpg

ryzajugu.jpg

It's almost razor sharp but the edge isn't quite uniform. I'm pleased with how it's turn out for a first proper try but I really need some proper tools to make the process easier.

a7unehyv.jpg

I am definitely hooked, more arrowheads and maybe some blades to come as I practice.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Nicely done mate :).

I tried it with flint and it is hard- and something I shall try a bit mor in future too :).

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Wow, love the last photo! Very dramatic :D I would love to get into knapping again, I did the lords course at the moot a few years ago and after a few goes at home, didn't really do much I'm sad to say I couldn't find a good source of flint but I think my recycling bin may be raided in the near future hahaha :)

Sent from the back of beyond.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I really liked the artistry of the last photo, the way the light came through was nice.

I am definately going to try and do some more but need to source some better knapping implements. I want to do it as naturally as possbile so need to find a hammer stone and get some different antler tines for soft hammering and pressurre flaking.

BushBums

Nov 6, 2014
Southampton
Thats a great pic!

And lovely work too, the point here is that you have made a useable arrowhead/edged tool from a freely found material. The nail trick is fun just in itself :) Obsidian is a glass-like stone and knapps in a similar way to glass with a pressure flaker.

Knapping tools are easy enough to make yourself and i'd be happy to help there if you are not already sorted.

One thing though, I cant believe that you did it bare legged! They still use flint flakes for cosmetic surgery as it is such a fine edge, lets be careful out there!

Simon

BushBums

Nov 6, 2014
Southampton
Just as a further note, here is something that I have cut and pasted from some of my notes:

Safety first

The edge of a flint flake can be 1 molecule thick and for this reason it is still used in cosmetic surgery due to its incredibly fine cutting ability, great for a knife but not so great for a loose flake. Because of the potential dangers while knapping, the following items are advised. To take part in this workshop they are compulsory and will be supplied.

Safety goggles/eye wear
Leather gloves
Leather leg pad
Leather work-piece holding pad

Please also consider the following:

Food and drinks should not be in the area to avoid flint entering them
Make sure the flakes fall into an area that can be cleared up
Any animals should be kept away from area to avoid treading on flint flakes

..... and after all that, you can still expect to get the occasional nick!

Happy knapping!

Simon

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Thanks for that BushBums. It is probably me worth mentioning that I took the process outside into the garden once I got a usable piece. I have now gotten myself some antler as well as some nice knapping stones.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Is glass knapping harder than flint knapping?

I saw a video once that knocks the bottom off the bottle using a small amount of water and hitting the top with your hand. Wasn't sure if it was true but them found a scientific video showing you how it happens.

Good work though, looks great. I can't fold a piece of paper without cutting myself so I better give the glass knapping a miss lol.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England

I saw a video once that knocks the bottom off the bottle using a small amount of water and hitting the top with your hand. Wasn't sure if it was true but them found a scientific video showing you how it happens.

Good work though, looks great. I can't fold a piece of paper without cutting myself so I better give the glass knapping a miss lol.

Glass is a good place to start as it is apparently easier to work than flint. I found it difficult at first to get the groove of pressure flaking but once I got into it I found it quite easy.

The most frustrating thing about it all is being overzealous with one flake can ruin the whole effort/work

BushBums

Nov 6, 2014
Southampton

Glass is different to flint but obsidian works a little like glass as it flakes fairly predictably. Heat treating is often used to make (treatable) stones more glass like for knapping.

You are more likely to stumble accross an old bottle than a workable piece of flint when out and about due to most pieces of flint found laying around will have been subject to freezing temperatures and will most probably have developed fractures as the moisture inside froze and expanded.

So from a survivalists point of view, knapping a glass arrowhead or edged tool is a good skill. I use a lot of Obsidian as it is similar to work and offers some stunning colours etc.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE