list to learn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
went in my kayak today, there and back was about 8 miles - Cattawade to Flatford.
Leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ahh thanks for clearing that up, we also saw herons, swans, canada geese and lots of other geese and ducks
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
they sure are we must have seen about 7 of them, the first ones we saw there was two together and as we got closer they flew off, the wingspan was huge
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks for the pics mate, i dont like the top one though i look like a right phyco lol. i will try and find a sycamore to tap and i have some spare money so i will buy that book 'botany in a day'.
PS: i have wrote a bit about the ground ivy on that sheet of paper
cheers mate i had a great time
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks, im up for giving woodlouse a try lol, yes that was a bit silly of me wasnt it lol
have a good time down the pub did ya lol ?
leon

Hi Leon,

Spent last night in the shelter you made with a rat for company :rolleyes:

Leonsshelter.jpg
[/IMG]

and I made needles and awls from those muntjac bones

Muntjacboneneedles.jpg
[/IMG]

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
nice, good to see that my shelter stayed up and didnt collapse on you lol, that needle on the far left looks perfect
PS: have you tried the bow drill using that mutjack bone as a bearing block ?
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
been busy making a Bucksaw, after using it i have decided to round the handles because they hurt my hands as they are.

Finishedbucksaw.jpg

leon

isotonicpies

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2005
Only my opinion and I’m no expert by any means, but:

My advice to anyone is to learn to identify your trees in all seasons. Tree identifications is the ‘skeleton’ knowledge that creates the framework for all other knowledge to be fleshed upon.

It is imperative for firecraft to know your trees (wood combinations for friction methods, birch bark tinder etc).
It is critical for mycology (mushrooming) to know your trees, fungus types are mainly linked to decaying forms of certain decaying woods.
It is necessary for shelter construction to know your trees (wood properties, strength, flexibility etc).
It is courteous for giving back to the ecosystem to know your tree properties. If you take live wood, you need to know what to do to maximise the chances of the tree protecting itself etc, how to coppice correctly etc).
It is safe to know your trees for wooden food utensils/ bowls (what is poisonous, what is safe etc).
Know your trees for food, edible berries/seeds/fruits/leaves/barks etc.
Trees for navigation (Altitudes, latitudes, proximity to running water)
Trees for art: what woods carve well.

Tree knowledge in bushcraft is like scales in music, maths in physics, binary in computing, scaffolding in construction etc etc

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
my dads mate Jim just rung up and said that he knows a woman who is going camping in scotland, he said he is lending her some kit but she wanted a lesson in firelighting, and he said that i would do it (everytime we go round his i light the fire and he loves camping and all that so we exchange knowlege, chat etc) so anyway im not sure what sort of firelighting he means ? matches, lighter, firesteel etc
those are the ones i feel comfortable teaching as i am pretty good at them
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE