list to learn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Red, Fenlander, everyone really,
Your providing excellent input for Leon, just wanted to say I wish I had been set such challenges as a youngster.
Keep the ideas flowing as I'll be pinching them to trial on the Scouts when they're back after the summer (they're learning sailing at the mo).

Leon,
I hope you are enjoying the learning curve as much as we enjoy seeing the success stories posted here.

ATB

Ogri the trog

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i will have a look in the woods tommorow to see if it has any birch in it
(are woods seem to be made up mostly of oak)
yes i have permission to be in the woods

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks red these challenge sort things are very helpfull and i have learnt alot by them

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Still need you to find another way with the flint than scraping the striker down slowly....its out there (or use your imagintion)

If you can't find birch bark, find clematis and rub the bark up to fine cotton like strands...do you know how to recognise clematis?

You can practice your lighting techniques then - young Fenlander is a thirsty bloke and won't wait forever for his brew :)

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
fenlander said that there was birch so hope fully it will be there but iwill research clemetis and find out how to identify it

Reactions: British Red

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
You could start off with cotton wool balls,they will ignite really easily.That way you know it's technique and not materials if it doesn't work. ;)

Always change one thing at a time when experimenting. :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A backup plan is always helpful mate :) Oh - and you get a rep point for "I will research it and find out how to identify it" - thats the spirit!

You need a dead bit - its a stringy climbing plant. If it aint dead, it aint dry. One of the advantages of a climber is it tends to stay upright and out of the wet and mud when wet. You need to split it with your nails and rub the bark between your hands till it frays into very fine threads. Same principle as the birch bark - fine stuff to catch the spark and plenty of it (you don't want the fire going out when it catches). You need all your dry kindling and larger stuff ready when it lights though - no time to wander off then!

As they say "its all in the preparation" - thats the thing about Bushcraft - it looks easy cos people have learned skills and practiced!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mike is spot on there Leon - I always carry some in case I can't find anything better (although I generally have some cramp balls and birch bark I've gathered on an earlier trip and kept dry too). When you get the cotton wool (chemists or supermarkets are good), check that it is pure cotton (it'll say on the bag). Fluff it up well before starting too. Natural tinders can be more stubborn but its a great palce to start

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Come on Leon - get your mum on the phone man!

Do you have any idea what a day's personal tuition from someone like Fenlander is worth?

If you don't ask your mum to call him, I'll be on the phone to my mum sharpish (and she used to be a Group Scout Leader - scary lady ;))

Red

odin13

Forager
May 29, 2005
bristol, england
nice work guys, this kind of advice is very useful for both leon, and all people relatively new to bushcraft, including myself, its great that everyone is accepting and helping him, its always hard when you want to make a point, and the rest of the forum has a go for you for making a mistake, or saying something wrong, which i experienced on other forums, luckily this is the friendliest forum i have ever used, its excellent!!! :You_Rock_ all of you!!!!!!!!

ALEX

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
fenlander my mum will be home in about 30 mins i will get her to ring you then
i would love one of your discs thanks
when i see you i will give you my book and hopefully you can get it sighned

odin13

Forager
May 29, 2005
bristol, england
Fenlander? sorry to be a pest, but is there any chance i could have one of those discs? ill pay the postage through paypal, ill knock on some more on too, just for giving you the hassle in the first place, its your choice, but it would be much appreciated..
*adopts puppy dog expression*
lol,
ALEX

odin13 said:
Fenlander? sorry to be a pest, but is there any chance i could have one of those discs? ill pay the postage through paypal, ill knock on some more on too, just for giving you the hassle in the first place, its your choice, but it would be much appreciated..
*adopts puppy dog expression*
lol,
ALEX

I'm afraid they are only available to those who attend a course. This si just a one off for Leon....sorry mate!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE