list to learn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
ScanDgrind said:
I have a question after reading the above post by Stuart.
Is it a prerequisite to be a grade 1, four star ****** to be a moderator on this forum?

leon-b is fourteen and keen to study bushcraft. Not doing much to encourage the lad are we?
And this is your way of helping him then ?..................Jon

ScanDgrind

Banned
Mar 18, 2004
Cornwall
Jon Pickett said:
And this is your way of helping him then ?..................Jon
Indeed it is Jon.

The quicker he realises what most of the self important twerps on this forum are really interested in.... Their own egos. Then the better off he will be.

Reactions: Wayne

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
ScanDgrind,
If you have issues, feel free to leave any time you like. Make such personal comments about moderators and you may not have to make the decision yourself.

I think you need to go pull your head out of where-ever it has been such that you haven't noticed ammount of effort that Stuart puts into this site, the magazine, and the Moots. None of us do this for an ego boost, 'cause frankly, having people like you make snide remarks goes far beyond compensating for the occasional thread where people say what a great job we do.

I hope that you will reconsider your comments.

ScanDgrind

Banned
Mar 18, 2004
Cornwall
Yep, reconsidered my comments.

And whole heartedly stick by them.

I truly believe the only person who should be reconsidering their comments is Stuart.

P.S. Please don't bother to take the time to ban me Chris as quite frankly I shan't be bothering to return anyway. There are some very good people on this site. Unfortunately it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the whole thing. And bully boys are one thing I can't abide.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Well, I'm sure you wont be surprised to hear the decision has been made for you anyway. I suppose as you're not coming back you wont have a problem with being banned.

Mark

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
leon-b said:
yes i am going to learn 10 good knots
as soon as i get my frosts clipper (hopefully tommorow) i am going to start carving

Leon-b. I'd imagine that different people prefer different knots and we could debate the best knots till the cows come home, but to help you out mate here's 10 that I probably use the most. Bowline -Timber hitch -evenk hitch - round turn and 2 half hitches ( good for attaching cordage to a tarp ring - Clove and constrictor knot (very similar, useful for bindings ) sliding hitch ( for guy lines etc One of my favourites ) sheepshank (well worth learning as it saves you cutting you rope to the correct length all the time) Half blood knot (for attaching hooks , swivels etc when fishing. You may know this one already as you're into fishing) Fishermans knot (for joing 2 bits of cord together) learning whipping is useful to. You can whip cord around handles etc for better grip. Also tree surgeons throw is useful for setting up camp and has come in useful for me many times. Hope this helps.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Buckshot said:
Well, I'm sure you wont be surprised to hear the decision has been made for you anyway. I suppose as you're not coming back you wont have a problem with being banned.

Mark

Mark, I'd be interested to know what exactly he was banned for? Was it for using a blanked out expletive....as he's certainly not the only person on here to do that. Or was it for disagreeing with a moderator?

Don't want to make a big thing of it but I'm just curious.

Thanks,

Bam. :)

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I've also got 100's of photos of all sorts of plants, trees, animals scenery etc and anyone on here on the forum is welcome to use them if they want to. Just PM me and tell me what you're after. It's not exhaustive however but you're welcome to what I have. I sometimes do little workshops for the folks on here at no cost whatsoever. I enjoy teaching and always learn new things myself from other friends on the forum. I don't know it all, but don't mind sharing what I do know. (keep an eye on the meet-ups section) so you're welcome to come along to the next one if you wish Leon-b, same goes for you odin13. I would have to insist a parent or guardian comes along with you though, and must remain present throughout. My own son is 16 and knows a fair few skills, and he usually comes along with me so you'll have someone near your own age to talk to and show you some skills. He gets on with anybody so no worries there. :D I'm trying to arrange something at the moment for the Autumn, and have approached a few places around Oxford and am waiting for replies which are sometimes a bit slooooowwww !!!

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Hi Leon-b.

I hope that this thread isn't making you reconsider Bushcraft and BCUK. I'm afraid sometimes us grown-ups can get a little argumentative. For the most part its all good natured. Just thought I should say so as I've just read through the last twenty or so posts in one go and I wouldn't be surprised if you are a bit disorientated with the back and forth. Don't be put off by us lot :rolleyes: :)

As far as things to learn are concerned there are hundreds of things. Tree and plant ID is often overlooked, whcih is a shame because it is a fundamental skill for bushcraft - a kind of building block if you will. - It helps to know which tree is good for fire, which not to set your camp up under and so on.

As you've got a clipper on the way one of the best things to help you to get to grips with it would be, as already mentioned, carving something simple - tent pegs, a spoon, billy hooks etc. Get confident with using the knife and try using a variety of woods, both seasoned and unseasoned. You will be amazed by the different ways that differing woods react to a knife blade.

Also get practicing with your sharpening kit. A sharp knife is, strangely you might think,much safer than a blunt one.

After that follow what interests you. Tehre are so many subjects to get the hang of that the sky's the limit.

Are you able to get to the Summer Bushmoot? I know it is quite a lot of money for a teenager, but the amount that you will learn and the helpful bushcrafters you will meet make it well worth hitting (not literally!) the relatives for a donation. I don't know them, but your family may be only too happy to pay for you to be away for a long weekend. I know mine were when I was fourteen.
All the best.
Marts
:)

odin13

Forager
May 29, 2005
bristol, england
British Red said:
Hi Alex! Long time no see - how was ten tors?

Red

hey red!! yeah went really well thanks, i was stuck in an extremely slow team, which got very frustrating for both my mentality, and rather lanky legs :D , thanks again for the rations! i was amazed by your kindness, i thought you meant some food you had cooked and dehydrated yourself, which would have been great too, but what i recieved is going to keep me going for a long time!!! :You_Rock_

ALEX

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No worries Alex - I remember taking a Saturday job in "Blacks" just to get staff discount so that I could afford some gear to get me out on the moors when I was your age..that was..oh LOTS of years ago now - I reckon it doesn't get any easier these days!

I remember a guy in the Moorland Rambler in Exeter (Lionel was his name IIRC) giving me some hefty discounts as well :).

Anyway ten tors isn't a race they say (yeah right)

Well done for completing it mate anyway - 35 miles over the moors in a day and a bit would be the death of many of us old fogeys! Congratulations!!

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
leon-b said:
tanks guys for the help
thanks fenlander hope to see the dates soon

Leon,

You've asked for some skills to learn - heres your challenge mate! Heres a list of stuff for you to do when on your day out with Fenlander......

(1) Make a fire spot in an appropriate place where it will cause no damage. You pick the spot and prepare it and Fenlander will check its okay (your books should tell you how to prepare a fire site.

(2) Light a fire using only a firesteel and striker. To do this you will need to identify, collect and prepare tinder, kindling and fire wood. Fenlander will help to show you how this is done, but think about researching what tinders are around, how to preapre feathersticks etc. You will be preparing a small cooking fire so what fire design will you have? Again your books should help but Fenlander will guide you through it if you get stuck

(3) Make a support for a Billy can over the fire. You will have to find the materials, design and construct the supports. There are several alternatives you could use - practice a few in the garden if you can lay hands on some branches. It will have to support a Billy Can to make Fenlander a nice cup of tea

(4) Make a brew, chill out, chat round the fire

(5) Clear the fire site away safely when finished

To do this well, you will need to develop skills in

(a) identifying and collecting appropriate natural materials
(b) site set up
(c) Tinder and kindling preparation
(d) Fire lighting technique
(e) Basic Woodcraft
(f) Taking only pictures - leaving only footprints

Oh - and bung a few pictures up after the day - we'd love to know how you get on!

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks red i will try this and afterer i will stick a few pics on here
fenlander shall i give you my book when we meet up

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
red for skill number 2 i think i will start the fire using a teepee and then rearange it into a star fire, if we are just having a brew i will use pine for fuel as it burns fast and gives out a load of heat
do you think i have made the rigt choices
leon

leon-b said:
red for skill number 2 i think i will start the fire using a teepee and then rearange it into a star fire, if we are just having a brew i will use pine for fuel as it burns fast and gives out a load of heat
do you think i have made the rigt choices
leon

You'll have to choose another I'm afraid as there is no pine on site :eek:

Available tree species are:

Willow, Ash, Witch Elm, Poplar, Sycamore, Birch, Hawthorn.

Saskia

Mar 2, 2006
The Netherlands
Hey Leon-B,

Maybe it's an idea to write down what you've learned and what you would do different the next time after your bushcraft practicing. Put all your writings in a folder on your computer. Then you can use the information for a new internet site and for yourself to get idea's about what you want to learn the next time your outside.

Good luck and never stop learning!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE