list to learn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

On this one, I'm not going to advice on your choices :)

A large part of bushcrafting is trying these out, seeing what works and making corrections. What I do know is that all the information you need to complete the challenge is available in the books you have or on this site using the search facility (I checked). So for this one mate, plan out what you are going to do, research it (you may decide to burn birch or hawthorn or......but can you spot it when you see it?) then try it out.

Of course some things won't work or you will get stuck - thats what Fenlander is for :), but this is about seeing what you can achieve on your own using research tools ;)

Red

Reactions: bogflogger

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok i have a list of trees that are on the site i will research and find which of them is best for a cooking fire and then find how to identify it

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
no not quite yet probebly tonite just gotta ask my mum
for tinder i am going to use birch bark because it burns well and i can identify it

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats a start - do you know how to preapre it though? Theres loads of threads on here where people have talked about using birch bark tinder...and how best to get success - I'd have a play on the "search" function if I was you

(edit to say - nothing saying you cant find some birch trees in your area and practcie either ;) )

Reactions: mark a.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i will gather up quite a big bundle of newspaper thin birch bark and then strike my firesteel in the middle of it and hopefully light it
then i will put a couple of thicker bits of bark on that and the build it up using bigger twigs

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i will use sycamore for fuel as i can identify that and it gives out a moderate heat witch should be enough for making a brew

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have read through quite a few threads and it seems that if you are using thin bark it will be fine like that however if you are using thicker bark it needs to be cut up into fine shavings

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
This is good stuff, and exactly what this site is about. Leon, I think this is definitely the way to go, you asked some questions before that got an unfair response IMO. I think this is a better way for you to learn, being posed questions that you need to answer, with the information available on the site.

I'm impressed also with you BR, it's like you have become Leons' personal bushcraft tutor, and for that, you get rep (once I figure out how to do it!!). I will watch this thread with interest to see what happens.

To the both of you, good luck and :You_Rock_

Spam

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Its not a question of cutting up mate - think "tissue paper thin". Sometimes you can see it hanging off the tree lke that and just peel it off, other times, you can take a big piece and scrape the tip of the blade across the bark to get thin bits. Ever has skin peel off after sunburn? Thats how thin you want it! Nexy question of course is how to arrange it and use your firesteel! Any plans?

BTW - asked your mum yet?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Spamel mate - Fenlander is the tutor (I'm too far away from Leon sadly :() - he has offered to take Leon out for a days fun (parental permission pending). My role is more that of a hall monitor till the real teacher turns up :)

Red

Thanks for your kind words though - I do agree our Leon is shaping up well!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have read that you just put it in a quite big ball so you have got a good chance and then put your fire steel in the middle and strike quite slow but hard so that you get a good shower of sparks

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats one way mate - not my preferred method though. Cos I am clumsy old country bloke I end up scattering my tinder all over the place if I do that...there is a description somewhere of a better way

BTW - have you got a firesteel?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:lmao:

Yep...in theory it looks easy...in practice though - one mistake and you get a lap full of boiling water :yikes:

Trust me, of all the challenges I set you, doing task 3 will prove the trickiest...this is where a few branches and the garden come in to play ;) !

Red (who once read a book on flying jet planes.......but...)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
well me and my mate have made a big sort of shelter thing down the woods where we plan to carve and just chill out i will probebly practice down there

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
As for the firesteel, a ranger flint is the same sort of stuff (ferric rod) just smaller. I would practice your firestarting technique using that - if you cant get birch bark theres plenty of other tinders. Make sure you do it in a safe place with your mums permission (speaking of which - you have got permission to be in the woods I assume?)

Red

Reactions: Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE