Limpets are great!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paddlinpostie

Dec 15, 2008
Plymouth
Hi all.

Went for a fantastic canoe paddle in Plymouth Sound today with some friends to enjoy the stunning summer we're having.

We ended up at a small beach only accessable from the sea, started a small fire and I collected some limpets from the millions on the surrounding rocks. I put these on a flat rock, covered with embers and waited....... OH MY GOD!!! they were delicious, a bit chewy but that's what teeth are for :lmao:

Only two others of the group of seven tried them, one thought they were lovely and the other one has been converted to beach foraging from this experience. Next thing you know she'll be wearing olive green! :D

No other reason for this post other than to shout about having a brilliant day and a new taste sensation........ mmmm might get hold of Walkers Crisps :red:

Cheers

Martin

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Limpets are really underestimated as a food source. They're tasty and because they are grazers rather than filter feeders they are a much safer bet than mussels etc.

Paddlinpostie

Dec 15, 2008
Plymouth
I saw Big Bad Ray cooking them on one of his shows a while ago and have wanted to try them ever since.

Pity it was a pebble beach, no razor clams just lots and lots of large, juicy limpets....... my mouth is watering again!

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I have seen the zillions of them on Pagham beech Sussex, wasn't sure of eating them because of the outfalls.

Paddlinpostie

Dec 15, 2008
Plymouth
Hi Marcus

Hoping to paddle the Fowey at some point this year, maybe do an overnighter.

Any tips on the best way to cook oysters or is it best to eat them raw with champers? (SWMBO would love that)

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
Hi Marcus

Hoping to paddle the Fowey at some point this year, maybe do an overnighter.

Any tips on the best way to cook oysters or is it best to eat them raw with champers? (SWMBO would love that)

To be honest I tried to eat one raw and it really was'nt my thing at all.According to Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall they are the finest he's ever tasted!!Lady friend of mine suggested plenty of lemon juice and down the hatch,personally if I ever try them again I'll bring them home and give them a rinse under the tap I'm not a lover of salt and they are really salty.I'll pm you the best spots.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
is there a way to make myself like them? when i tried them i had a hard time trying not to spit them out:yuck:
seems too much of a good reasource to not take advantage of.

pete

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
is there a way to make myself like them? when i tried them i had a hard time trying not to spit them out:yuck:
seems too much of a good reasource to not take advantage of.

pete

The best way is to stop eating with your eyes - they taste fine

Cheers
Nick

kennyboy

Jul 15, 2009
N.Ireland
First post YAY!!!!

On 'River Cottage Gone Fishin' tonight Hugh (double-barrelled whatshisface) and friends where knocking limpets off the rocks, scooping them out and eating them raw, black 'heads' and all. Very tasty it seems.

He then went on to grill them, upsidedown in their shells, on the bbq with some parsley and garlic butter. Really gotta try this soon.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Sorry for digging up an old thread but I really fancy trying limpets!
Food for free mentions soaking them but I thought as they were grazers not filter feeders this was not neccessary?
Also, there are tons and tons of limpets down by the beach near me (and no 'orrible sewage pipes!) but I fancy cooking them on a flat rock covered in embers but everywhere I've found doesn't mention cooking times! Is there a way to tell when they are done?

Cheers!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Here you go mate, at about 5:00 ....

[video=youtube;RF-G_1FsxuA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF-G_1FsxuA[/video]

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Food for free mentions soaking them but I thought as they were grazers not filter feeders this was not neccessary?

Cheers!

I googled them when on holiday to find that soaking removes any gritty sediment, add salt to the soaking water to taste..

I couldn't tell you how they tasted as then the dog knocked over the bucket when I wasn't looking and peed on them.... It was from a very remote cove in Purbeck and I was not going to walk all the way back. Gutted.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I couldn't tell you how they tasted as then the dog knocked over the bucket when I wasn't looking and peed on them.... It was from a very remote cove in Purbeck and I was not going to walk all the way back. Gutted.

Don't worry, Rich - you wouldn't have noticed the difference! (Joking!!!!)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Personnely do not like them,texture or taste, but there again im not to keen on most shellfish(except lobster),but most of the guys ive been beach camping with dont seem to mind them, Minstel off here was eating them raw when we were beach camping about 6 weeks ago being as they are grazer's, and he seemed to like them that way judging by the amount he ate,(i mentioned this to my brother who's a Marine biologist,and was told not really advisable).I have only ever tried them the hot rock in the fire method of cooking,then removing the black blob(gut sack)on top,but like i said not my cup-of-tea,they may be better added to something.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE