Lightweightish Lidl/Aldi menu for 5 days

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Uncle Ben´s 3 min rice needs no cooking at all. Soaking in cold water it is soft in under half an hour. I know because I have done it a few times. Can´t speak for any other brand, have done only with this one.
13.png

Reactions: Erbswurst

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
With rice, you don't need to boil it for the whole time, just wrap it up in a makeshift cozy for the last half-1/3 of the cooking time. But couscous is easier and faster!

There are plenty of dried vegetables available to buy if you don't fancy making your own.

Between the porridge and the flapjacks, I seem to live off oats when out and about! :)

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
It would be interesting to try out, if also other instant food works with cold water.

Instant coffee works cold, Uncle Ben's rice works cold - what else?

If I carry stove and fuel that is quiet interesting!

In my opinion a lot of meals we usually eat warm taste well cold too.

And even if we find that this isn't so incredibly delicate, the knowledge about it has a high value if we depend on carried fuel and run out of it.

Above the tree limit it could be even life saving.

And if a meal can be made with cold water and then just warmed a bit, it needs less fuel than to boil water and wait until it became cold enough to eat it.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
With preprocessed rice I don't boil it, I just warm it enough so that it gets soft faster and is warm enough to heat up what ever else (like tuna) I put into it. I have tried some freeze dried foods without heating, yes they can be used, it takes 0.5-1 hour to soften and the taste is not that great but it does keep you alive. My experience is though that anything with solid fat is questionable (because cold fat ...).

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I like the sachets of instant mash, idaho i think it's called, way better than smash, and 1 pack is 2 meals worth. That mixed with a john west tuna sachet, or knorr mini soup packets is delicious. i also mix up with pasta and packets of uncle bens rice sachets. Plus the usual crackers, cheese, salami, nut mixes etc. Have a look at Paul Kirtleys video on what he carries in a PLCE side pocket for 1 week.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I like the sachets of instant mash, idaho i think it's called, way better than smash, and 1 pack is 2 meals worth. That mixed with a john west tuna sachet, or knorr mini soup packets is delicious. i also mix up with pasta and packets of uncle bens rice sachets. Plus the usual crackers, cheese, salami, nut mixes etc. Have a look at Paul Kirtleys video on what he carries in a PLCE side pocket for 1 week.
Idahoan bacon and cheese mash. Its a sure fire winner!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Madriverrob

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@ baggins
Is that potato mash?

I don't know this British Idaho / Idahoan brand.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
In general, I try to go for ingredients/flavours that I would eat normally, just in a more convenient format. That way you know you'll like it and that your digestive system won't protest too much.

Nugs

Feb 21, 2020
Devon
Reactions: Allison McKenzie

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
@ baggins
Is that potato mash?

I don't know this British Idaho / Idahoan brand.
Yup, instant freeze dried mash.
Nugs, yup, a dehydrator is definitely the way to go. I aways carry a small jar of dried and powdered veg, can be used as a stock, soup or just flavoring. I generally just add whatever i have in the kitchen that's going off or the veg bargain bin in the supermarket.

Reactions: Nugs and Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In another forum somebody told us, that he cleans fat out of the pot by making instant potato mash in it.

I didn't try it out yet.

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

GSW

May 16, 2021
Carmarthenshire
I have to agree with the use of a dehydrator, about £20 on Ebay. When you see a Kg of 5% fat beef mince reduced to about a regular can size (and virtually no weight), you can see the benefits. Just add the Oxo cube (or 2) to the rehydrated mince. Eggs? Just scramble with no oil and dehydrate then blender to reduce to a 'granular coffee' size. Original egg becomes 12 g so no one can complain about lugging fragile eggs around.
And my solution to that issue is...... a Dehydrator.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/review/best-dehydrators-and-how-use-them
Great for making fruit leathers and drying out the veg that makes cooking more varied and tasty. Plus the added benefit that it locks in all the nutrients.

• Wow
Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Eggs? Just scramble with no oil and dehydrate then blender to reduce to a 'granular coffee' size. Original egg becomes 12 g so no one can complain about lugging fragile eggs around.

Genius idea! Well I think its time to scramble a dozen eggs and dehydrate them.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE