Lightweight or heavyweight?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I was just wondering about how heavy or light people's packs are for getting out into the countryside. It strikes me that some must have a really heavy sack to carry all the gear they talk about. There's nothing wrong with one way or another as I'm sure there's a reason for everything.

I've just been thinking about these things since I am someone who has been trying to reduce weight over the last couple of years (26kg down to about 9kg for a few days fully loaded). I have a mate who has the modular bergen type of sacks which allow attachment of pockets and are generally very heavy and bulky. He also fills it on even a two day / one night trip. That's about 70 litres full of "whatif" gear.

Of course it depends on activity say a 2 week backpack trip mostly self supporting compared to a woodcrafting course 5 minutes from a landrover probably means different kit. I was just wondering about kit weight and if you guys have two different sets of kit with certain universal items. I do have a car camping kit still quite light but with more room plus a chair (borrowed) and a couple of lightweight into the hills kit (single skin tent and tarp plus bivvy).

I'm just interested and don't view either heavy or light kit as being 100% right for all cases.

My pack is definitly heavy compared to most.....

but for a weekend the only difference for a 2 weekhike would be an extra water bottle/spare map and more food and a different route card....lol

I like it that way, yes ts heavy, but i feel uncomfortable and I have that "What did I forget feeling" for my whole trip......

I think if you know the environment you're going in to quite well you can get away with less than if you are going somewhere new. A few days for me, inc. 3 litres of water, still seems to come to around 13-14Kg. I'm going to look at lighter packs to try and cut this down a bit as a next move. After that a couple of kilos from around my waist!!

chuckle

Nov 29, 2006
grimsby
A couple of years ago me and my mate spent 5 days in the cairngorms just after christmas (cold wasnt the word) anyway my pack weighed nearly 5 stone not including the 1 stone of food i carried in a stuff sack.

We walked about 10ish miles in then set up camp and had a great time but by jingo it was hard.

But that got me thinking there has to be an easier way cos im not getting any younger so i looked up ultralight backpacking what an eye opener,it weighs how much ? type of thing.

So now i have twice as much kit as i did before LOL but i can mix n match to pare kit down or go ultralight ish its fantastic.The best thing about it is now on your travels you get to see the views as well instead of looking a foot in front of your feet making sure you dont stumble and fall.

A big weight save can be made with food now i take freeze dried stuff instead of wet food.Tho i havent cut my toothbrush in half yet lol.

Jason

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

Im not sure if my experiences here in NZ are helpful? Here goes...

For a 3 day summer trip here in NZ with a group when instructing my pack weight is around 18-20kg I suppose.

This is based on me eating 'wet' food and carrying a fair bit of group kit such as a mountain radio, PLB, walking rope and tape + krabs and a 4 man bothy and a 'group' sized FAK. I also use a synthetic Sleeping bag ( Buffalo 4S outer) and camp under a fly ( tarp) I also carry a folding saw for a group camp fire some popping corn and a small bottle of vegtable oil ... the rest is just personal kit thermal top, Warm layer, hat, gloves waterproofs and a 3 ltr camelbak, jet boil and mug etc...

For personal trips the group kit comes out and the weight / packed volume drops accordingly I also tend to use a down bag for these trips which helps with the weight.

I did do a 4 day lightweight trip on Mt Taranaki last year with a pack weight of about 12 kg including food. I had a very lightweight sleeping bag and we were using huts and freeze dry food.

I also occasionally do a 'bushcraft' trip with a GB SFA and assorted Bushcraft kit.... pack weight goes up on these trips....

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
That's just about impossible to answer.
And, to be honest, I don't see what it matters.
I'll tell you why - my idea of 'light' and 'heavy', and what I am and am not willing to carry, will be completely different to everyone else's.

You can answer the question for yourself. If, when you put your pack on your back and think, 'sod that for a game of darts - I'm not carrying that weight', then it's too heavy FOR YOU. If, however, you put it on and you barely realise, then it's nice and light.
Simple as that really. Don't see what it matters about my pack weight in relation to other people's - I carry what I am prepared to carry. If it's heavy, then it's heavy; if it's light then it's light.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
when you put your pack on your back and think, 'sod that for a game of darts - I'm not carrying that weight', then it's too heavy FOR YOU. If, however, you put it on and you barely realise, then it's nice and light.

i had the very same argument with a good friend the other day and we said pretty much the same thing as you durilz. My frined said he was happy to carry a heavy load as he felt it was OK for him.

My point on the other hand was i lead groups of kids out and i don't want to carry any weight so i don't struggle going up. I can navigate unhindered and do all the group management without thinking "why the hell have i got this great big pack on I'm knackered"

I now borrow heavily from the world of the ultra lighter. What is the point in toeing about loads of stuff you either don't use or don't kneed on your back it serves no purpose.

I would class myself as a lightweight packer it works for me and its great.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
For me it depends on what I am doing? and where I am going? and for how long? I have a fair amount of kit to chose from so I try and gauge my packs to the above choices.

Alot of the time though I tend to pack heavy :)
But trying to find lighter ways all the time ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have some very different bits of kit for Lt Wt backpacking and my "Bushcraft".
In fact my one man, double skin, tent is lighter than my tarp!
I would not take my Dutchie backpacking....
I can manage a weekend using Bushy Gear that will fit into (and onto) my Bison Bushcraft pack, but for static weekends playing in the woods I fill my van!
For Month long expeds around the world I could get everythin into a 75l rucksack.
For a one nighter in my local woods I might need to take 2 x 100l bags...it all depends on the aims and objectives of the trip....

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I would not take my Dutchie backpacking....

:( :puppy_dog :sigh:

I'm with James, I'm also borrowing heavily from the (ultra)lightweight backpackers. Not so much kit wise, but more as in what you (don't) need.

I started with no experience at all, brought a 100ltr backpack (22kg) on a overnighter. Now I can pack my indefinite kit in a 55 ltr pack (about 11kg), and for 2-3 days I can in 2 sidepockets (7kg). An overnighter (summer) fits in a 10ltr sidepouch (3-4kg) - just have to go out with this kit, but I'm convidend it'll work.

The weight of ones pack is IMO:
- a personal preference: some like to bring a lot of toys to try out (I do)
- a reflection of knowledge: when time passes you accumulate more knowledge and learn to do with out
- dependent on ones financial position: how much do you have to spend on light kit? (down sleeping bags, titanium pots, etc.) - of course you could do with kit you find in the house (kitchenpots, blanket, etc): cheap but heavy.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Of course none of this matters its just that I was curious as a lot of the talk on this site always makes me think of bushcrafters with a heavy sack on their back full of gear. It does seem to me to be gear heavy as in plenty of it not necessarily the weight. For me the biggest weight drop after a heavy tent and 5kg of pegs for those "whatif" situations where I might need a nail type peg and some soft ground / snow / sand pegs was by leaving stuff out. If I took a lot of stuff being mentioned on this site such as a kelly kettle with cooking kit or whatever (BTW I really want a kelly kettle but know I would never use it for what I do) then I'd never get up a hill.

I borrow from a UL backpacker when money allows, which really just means pepsi can stove or my new Whitebox stove that has just arrived. I have an XL down and synthetic bag which is needed since I am about 2m tall. That is bulky and about 1.3kg. Clothing too is edging towards light and is as minimal as I am comfortable with. I am still at about 13kg for a weekend. I once got to 9kg on an overnight but that was when I'd had a meal with relatives and justr parked up and walked up to a tarn near a col and kipped in a single skin tent then came back down to continue my journey. It was really just a tent mat and sleeping bag with a stove for a brew.

I am glad you guys are picking gear for what you are doing and some of you are going lightweight for trips when you are carrying gear some distance. Personally that is the way I think. I have a car camping kit and a backpack. The first fills out my astra estate the second fills a 50 litre sack. I must admite I don't really carry much more for a 2 week trip compared ot an overnighter apart from food, but then I admit to being a dirtbag and tend to stay up in the hills for the whole trip. Best way on some trips.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Anyone else use those UL meths stoves such as whitebox? How do you find them in use?

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
paul i understand exactly what your saying and it is true that if we all took all of our gear we would not fit it in a rucksack never mind get it on our backs but thats the fun of bushcraft you can take as little or as much kit (and yes i am a kit bitch) as you like.

for instance

i would take hammocking

hammock
underblanket
tarp
clothes
kitchen
wash kit
toys
sharps
so it all depends on what you want and what you need

in my honest opinion

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I always go out with the intention of keeping my pack as light as possible,but in reality it always ends up heavier than id like,cant give a weight as i dont weigh it,or it's maybe that my broken down old body just cant hack it the same.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Horses for courses really with kit :)
I *prefer* lightweight, but realistically there are times I need the 'chute along, and the firebowl and the group cooking stuffs.
There are also times when I need in period clothing and kit, and that's not lightweight.
I've also discovered the joy that is a down mat :D and a warm sleeping bag :D It all adds up.

That said, I can manage to be comfortable with very little, and I really do like multi functional kit. Like the Ti mug that is my pot as well as my mug/ bowl/ Ti spork that does for all cutlery, that kind of thing.

I think it's one of those where am I going? who am I going with? how far do I have to hike ? kind of questions and answers.

cheers,
Toddy

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I have to say that from my point of view I have kits that fits into both worlds. I admit to been a bit of a gear tart but always put a lot of thought into what I buy and what purposes it may fill.

My light weight gear will go into a 50 ltr ish pack and will weight between 12 and 15 kgs this is summer and included some food and liquids. Obiviously in the colder moths this will go up about 2 kgs or so I recon maybe more. this would last me between 3 and 5 days.

For something that I would class as bushcraft I would probably carry more bits of non essential stuff and generally the kit is heavier maybe more robust I would say. Items such as laplander, bushcraft knife, extra cooking pots, biners cordage etc for hammock all add up and these would never go with me up on a backpacking trip.

As John Fenna said his hammock and tarp set up weigh more than his tent thats the same in my case. I think its an area that many people dwell upon but as some folk have said , if your fit enough and dont find what you are carrying a burden take what you will to enjoy your outing. Although I like lightweight Im not a gram counter I still like some little luxuries whilst going light such has a hip flask of sloe gin or vodka, I will carry my pad to sketch or even water colours sometimes. I also carry a heavy SLR but only as I like to faff about pretending im getting better at photography.

Each to their own I say.

Just my ten penneth worth.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I always carry an mp3 player on my trip (sorry but I like to isolate myself completely sometimes in my own tent into the wee small hours singing along to a track that I never knew I had). Usually eating plain peanuts (high in fat so good for sleeping as the fat provides the energy your body needs to keep warm plus I like them just try to spread a 200g pack over 2 nights if at all possible). Also I take a few stoves to try out. I find I always seem to be getting some slightly different stove that needs trialling in the field with another pot/pan set-up. I never reach the end of it as I always get another one. I like that term gear bitch or gear tart. I always used gear freak myself but I'm all three. Although I ,must admit I'm more into the idea of UL stuff then switch to my heavy gas stove (86g primus express with pz ignition) as its easier to use and reliable).

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I tend to carry a pack just big enough to accomodate all my toys for a particular trip, if I'm covering miles on foot then it has to be light but if it's a canoe trip or car camping at a meet then everything goes in.
I'm happy to do a couple of nights during summer with a 35L pack but the same trip in winter could easily fill a 75L just because of the extra insulation for sleeping and clothing.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Lightweight all the time :D

naughtycornersetup2.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE