Lightweight Coffee Cup

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've just been messing around with some stovey stuff and thought I'd have a go at lightweight coffee cup. Nothing fancy just a bit of recycling.

Some pics ...

Pepsi fridge size 250ml can, reflectix cosy (24x6.5cm strip)
P1000056P.jpg

The top can be removed neatly leaving a thick smooth ring for drinking, a can opener at roughly 45 degrees works well
P1000057P.jpg

Compact and surprisingly quite strong, it must be because of the short height
P1000059P.jpg

Nestled inside the MSR titanium cup for scale
P1000060P.jpg

A weigh off then, first up the £25 MSR titanium mug (with no insulative benefits)
P1000054P.jpg

DIY Pepsi mug including pot cosy
P1000055P.jpg

250ml isn't the biggest of brews but it'll stay hot, slip the cosy off and you can pop it onto an alky stove.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Good stuff, although 250ml of coffee is not nearly enough for a man of my persuasion! Well maybe 250ml of espresso...

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
great idea, dont think ive seen those cans before, mind you, you can count the number of times i go food shopping in a year on one hand:)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Anyone seen the kenco millican coffee tins? They look like a steel to me and I wonder if they'd make a coffee cup. If not the coffee in them is nicer than the 3 in 1. It is a mix of real coffee and coffee oils or something like that which can be treated as instant coffee but it is more like real tea!!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Likewise, dehydrated whiskey is only as good as the water you rehydrate it with!! :D

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Nice one :) I've improvised similar in the dim and distant past, making the best of an 'Oops' moment ;) but, as they were always impromtu cups and pots, dedicated cosies were never on the cards goodjob :beerchug:

Which is exactly why I'll be drinking nasty Kenco 3-in-1 :)

Have you tried DrinkMe Chai? At the moment its only the vanilla and spiced which seem to be easily available, but I can recommend both :approve: ~ and, for the easily distracted, they still taste good when they've cooled down too :eek: :lmao: . The only down side to it is its very low caffine content :( .

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Have you thought about a alpkit titanium cup the smaller version to the mug although they look small they hold the same as a normal household mug and weigh very little

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Like it. Did you rub the top down to get it smooth and "un sharp", as my can opener would leave it like a razor. :yikes:

Anyone seen the kenco millican coffee tins? They look like a steel to me and I wonder if they'd make a coffee cup. If not the coffee in them is nicer than the 3 in 1. It is a mix of real coffee and coffee oils or something like that which can be treated as instant coffee but it is more like real tea!!

Loads better than the 3-in-1. I quite like it....no..... I like it a lot. May not be filtered but gives the impression it is. Just too :cussing::soapbox::cussing: :tapedshut dear

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Like it. Did you rub the top down to get it smooth and "un sharp", as my can opener would leave it like a razor. :yikes:

I didn't need to Kev, it leaves the inside perfectly smooth somehow, I'll try and get some better pics next time I make some.

Is there any `issue` ,with the protective coating on the inside of the cans ???

Not too sure mate, I know a lot of folk use them across the pond.

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
neat idea using the shorter stiffer cans goodjob

i'm going to have to get some reflectix and make some cosys for my pots now though :)

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE