Lighting feathersticks with a ferro rod.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A great little vid explaining the propper use of a ferro.
I fancy the feather stick "tinder" but not having any bone dry wood to hand I tried setting some birch polypore fungus alight with my ferro.
Take a thin slice of BPF, rough it up a little - so you get some rough linty looking bits sticking up - four strikes and I had impressive fire which went on to consume the whole slice of BPF like a fast burning candle.
This was a better result than attempting to light a candle with a ferro which took me six strikes!
And you can use BPF as a plaster if you miss-handle your knife and cut yourself while trying this technique.......
Sorry I have no vid of this but I am useless with technology!
John

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
Very nicely done!

Someone had made a featherstick tip somewhere. They would score the wood prior to cutting the feathers. I have tried that and it works ok, but lots of the wood will fall off.

Lately, I just turn the stick I and cutting and it makes for a decent featherstick.

I had to opportunity to test my ferro rod in a heavy downpour yesterday. It started to really come down as I was getting my fire ready to light.

What I learned/was reminded of/knew was:

1. In bad weather, it is really important to protect everything related to the fire (knew & reminded)
2. When the ferro rod gets rained on, it will still spark, but much less (learned but kinda expected)
3. Wet ferro rod shavings that didn't spark light up in the lit tinder bundle like little sparklers (learned)
4. fatwood is great when things are wet (knew)
5. everything lights and heats up slower when wet (knew & reminded)
6. vaseline cotton pad doesn't light very well after getting fluffed then rained on (learned)
7. you can stay warm when wet in Hawaii (knew & reminded)
8. if you stay wet long enough, you can still get cold, even in Hawaii (knew & reminded)

Despite the downpour, I had a great hobo meal of chicken stuffed with garlic and rosemary with some zucchini and rice!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE