sheath, ferro or no ferro?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 11, 2020
Wirral
Hello everyone,

Do you prefer to have your ferro rod on the sheath, or separate?

Does it get in the way?

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Flint? do you mean ferro rod?

If so, definitely not on it. I use my knife repeatedly throughout the day when in the wood; I use my ferro rod once if that (there being loads of other options to light my one fire a day). Why would I expose the ferro rod to the damp and the potential damage of being on my sheath? It's wrapped away with the rest of my fire starting kit. I have to prepare tinder and kindling as well as fuel for my fire; why on earth do I need 'quick draw access' to the ferro rod?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I had a sheath with the ferro rod bit on it and after a few weeks of ownership I cut it off cos it was more ornament than use.

Reactions: Dame
Oct 11, 2020
Wirral

If so, definitely not on it. I use my knife repeatedly throughout the day when in the wood; I use my ferro rod once if that (there being loads of other options to light my one fire a day). Why would I expose the ferro rod to the damp and the potential damage of being on my sheath? It's wrapped away with the rest of my fire starting kit. I have to prepare tinder and kindling as well as fuel for my fire; why on earth do I need 'quick draw access' to the ferro rod?
Thanks, been in the sun all week. Fixed.
I can see it bulking up your waste, interfering.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’ve only had one sheath with a rod loop and the rod managed to catch and snag branches and stalks all the time. I don’t use one much these days, but mine still resides on a bit of micro cord with a mini striker attached, in a waterproof tin with a couple of chunks of fatwood and other bits of tinder.

Only other one I have is in the excellent value for money Spitfire kit.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I have one. It came standard on the sheath. I simply wear a shirt, poncho etc over it to avoid snagging. It emotes the protean
Rambo with knife and flint subduing nature and all that rot.
You can also wear a paracord bracelet to secure your street ( or is it woodland game trail) cred.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I might be the only one here it seems, but I don't mind the loop and carrying a firesteel on my sheaths, in fact I prefer when there is a choice to have the loop.

I do use knives every day, and although I have experienced snagging, I would rather have my pockets empty and things I need in a bag or on the belt.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk

Exactly this, it just seems unnecessary to have it on a sheath. I feel the same way about having a sharpening stone on the sheath to, if I need it it’s in my pack or haversack!

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
I often have a small backup ferro rod on my knife sheaths. Wrapped in electrical tape under a ranger band for emergency fire lighting.
Just in case.
Regards,
Preper :)

Reactions: DocG

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I often have a small backup ferro rod on my knife sheaths. Wrapped in electrical tape under a ranger band for emergency fire lighting.
Just in case.
Regards,
Preper :)
I have one in my wallet, I never use matches any more, and even light candles using a firesteel.

Reactions: PREPER

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Bit gimmicky when it comes to a fixed knife I suppose, but when it comes to my SAK that is another matter as I have a pouch for that which keeps all manner of other things handy too.

Bearmont

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2022
Germany
Ferro rod is a gimmick for gear fetishists. I mean I got one and it's fun, so I'm not throwing shade. But I'd just bring a small BIC or two every time.

The rod meanwhile sheds its volume in oxidation dust every couple of weeks as it basically eats itself.

So yeah, separate if at all.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Somehow I've never managed to buy a sheath with a ferro rod loop so can't really comment from experience. In a moment of inspiration I taped a ferro rod to a lighter so I can lose both at once now.

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have two sheaths with slots for a ferro rod; one I use a lot, the other I don't. I cannot understand why I am happy to use one of them but not the other - that's a mystery. Are they worth it? Maybe. I do find it convenient to have my knife and the knowledge that I've also got a firesteel with it when I'm out but, on the occasions that I use a sheath without a ferro rod slot, I can't say I miss it.

It seems that they were a bit of a fad at a time when one might also have a little pouch for your sharpening stone also stitched to your sheath; whether they were useful or not will inevitably be a personal choice, probably borne out of experience and habit.

Reactions: DocG

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
As others have said so well, the matter seems to be more personal choice than anything. I have had both types of sheath but I tend not to carry a ferro rod on the sheath but rather in my pocket, secured to a lanyard by a mini carabiner (Alpkit type) together with my SAK. If I use the rod, it can be easily re-attached and it's kept out of the way and dry all the time.
I don't like any extra weight on my sheath, so that is a key part of my approach. I made myself a knife and a sheath for it with sharpening stone pouch, tinder container and ferro rod loop. That sheath now lives in my spares box as I quickly realised that it was too clunky in the woods: always catching on something and dragging my belt down.
Although it's not a "cool" opinion in some circles, I really like the plastic (?) F1 sheath as a model of efficiency and lightness. It can also be kept clean very easily.
Just my 2d worth.

Reactions: Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE