Lighting feathersticks with a ferro rod.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It's been a while since I did the clips for lighting Hexy and a candle with a ferro rod, so I thought I'd show feather sticks. Before we go any further though, no comments on my poor feather sticks please! :rolleyes: I know they are rubbish, if you can do them really well, post a tutorial with pictures or video, I for one will appreciate it! :D

First off, a clip showing the best way to use a ferro rod. You get bigger shavings of the metal coming off this way, so they burn brighter and longer. This really helps in lighting things up. Take a quick look at the clip, you may already use it this way but if you don't I suggest you at least try it. It may work wonders for you.

Now, the main event. This wasn't the first take, I promise you! At the beggining you will see me cheating! A couple of grinds, but not fast enough to get the shavings glowing. They drop onto the feather stick and may help it going up. Hey, you need all the help you can get doing this!:D

The feathers on the stick are paper thin, really curly and small. They are about the same thickness as a hair. Take your time with them, the better they are the easier it will be to get the spark to take to flame.

I reckon I would need to be in a bad way to resort to this method. Normally, I will have a bit of birch bark or similar, maybe some fat wood. This would be a last resort, but it is possible.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've got few more in the pipeline, I like fire if you haven't guessed already! I might get a Mod to consolidate them once I get enough of them. Char cloth and a piece of flint and traditional steel next, I think!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks Spamel, I really enjoy watching your tutorials they are very clear and easily understandable, keep them coming - how about you do a bow drill video tutorial.
Cheers:cool:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I find it's a great way to practice striking technique. Good video! (Nice to see you dressed appropriately too! :p )

A great help is a variation on an idea that Simon E suggested some time back.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15110

For the last few curls of the featherstick, add a few score lines - helps make the last shavings extra fine.

Extremely obvious but I certainly didn't think of it until it was suggested! :rolleyes:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I just needed an excuse to try my new F1 out! :D I'm sure Red will appreciate that, as he loves the F1 soooo much! :rolleyes:
I'm sure its a great vid (country dial up forbids me watching it). You should try the PFK for fuzzies - its like steel wool.

I was impressed when I did one with one of Ceggas prototypes and it lit first spark - fuzzies is a great way to check your axe is properly sharpened!

Red

ganstey

Settler
Excellent videos, thanks for that. I've just got my first ferro (but it still needs a handle), and haven't had a go with it yet. Your first video explains how to use them efficiently in a way that is so obvious when you've seen it, but I'd never thought of using it in any other way than the 'classic' way - you live and learn, or should that be you learn and live:D

Just one question though, at the very end of the second vid did you burn your hand? It looks that way ;)

G

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE