lifestyle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
A huge part of me longs to leave modern society and live a hunter gatherer lifestyle full time.
Is that an impossible dream in todays world.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
I dont think so, i suppose it could happen.
As stupid as it sound the idea of the TV show LOST sounds amazing to me being lost on a desert island :p

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
Personally I dont think it is,Its just having the get up and go to do it if thats what you want.But there is the logistics of carrying out your dream,country/area you plan to co-exist with nature in,what laws and restrictions they would have etc.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
It's probably impossible to do so legally unless you have loads of money to buy enough land.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
It's probably impossible to do so legally unless you have loads of money to buy enough land.

I think this is likely to be true but there are still places like Alaska. However, they are pretty dangerous places and several people have died trying to live a simple there. You can still have tasters of it though, and of course you can dream.:rolleyes:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
It might well be possibe but in order to have enough land to do it in you would have had to work your (Swearfiltered word) off for about 10 lifetimes.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
A huge part of me longs to leave modern society and live a hunter gatherer lifestyle full time.
Is that an impossible dream in todays world.

You never know where you end up if you dont do the first steps.

1. Dont buy ready packed chicken, go to a farmer buy them alive and kill them, gut them and prepare them.

2. Dont buy fish and chips but catch them yourself, kill the fish and prepare. Not onces on a course but everytime you want to eat a fish. Make it a rule, you only eat meat which you prepared yourself. Most people cant hunt but you can buy a fluffy rabbit from a farmer instead and kill it to prepare your food.

2. Dont buy ready bread but bake it yourself

3. Help a farmer for no pay but for the rights to plock some fruits and vegetables and the right to put up a tent in his fields and live there.

4. Dont use the shower but go and take a swim in the lake, if the lakes are to dirty where you live buy a shower sack, fill it with cold water and have a shower. If you like warm showers warm the water up on the stove before. Not onces but every time you want to take a shower.

5. Make you own cloth, dont buy it.

the ideas are endless, I guess you got my wink. If after some weeks you still like it you can extend your dreams. Learn more and get in contact with guys who have a cabin.
You can rent them cheap and spent a year in a cabin in the wilderness.

The idea is to make it a lifestyle without going out and living in the bush. You can do plenty interesting things but people often dont want to do the first steps. Do the million little steps and you get somewhere. Remember if you can live the hard way at home you can make it too later in the bush.
There was one guy in germany who walked through the entire nation not using any help of bridges, food or money. He was eating what he found, swiming through rivers, sleeping in the forest without a tent, drinking water from dirty rivers etc etc.

There was a guy here on the forum called "Monkey" or something, that guy slept a entire year outside in the woods, in the moring packing in and going to work, after work, back to the woods and sleeping there. If I remember right he was working in IT or webdesign or something. Quite tuff guys. So here you got some ideas to start living the hunter and gatherer life.

At least you will learn a lot about yourself. :D

cheers
Abbe

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
You really, *really* need a community to live as a hunter/gatherer; division of labour, just like in modern life, is key to living well. Nobody really lives alone and well.

Thats very true, im not anti social or anything i just think the peoples of the world who are still engaged in this sort of activity for there lives and there livelyhoods are so on the right track as to how life should be lived.
I had, had a rather raw day at work when i launched this thread.
I wonder what the price of land and reindeer is in siberia.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE