Life is good - remember that!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just learned that a bloke I wanted to get to know better and learn more from has passed over.
He was a great teacher, a Doctor who helped many but modest and kind, generous to a fault and an inspiring human being.

I spent the day at work, supporting guys with learning disability. It was a beautiful day and while I supported the guys to do their own things I was able to repair and sharpen 4 bill hooks, a 1917 British Army Machete and a Roughneck axe (not really worth sharpening - they are crud!). The guys were happy, the weather great and I was doing stuff I enjoyed.

But the day still seemed to miss a sparkle that would have been there if Rob was still among us.

Life is good - and we should remember to treasure it for ourselves and our friends, doing what we can to make each day sparkle for those we encounter. If I can help others half as much as Rob did I will think I am doing a pretty good job!

Enjoy it folks - life is good!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a hell of a lot better to have it than lack it!

As they say "if this day, was your last day, would you spend it as you are?"

Today my golden moment was when my daughter left her meeting. She called her old dad to say that she had enjoyed her meeting in no. 10 Downing St. and found sitting in Churchill's chair rather humbling.

Life is indeed good.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Never a truer word spoken, John; Since I was an ankle-biter I've found that the companionship of horses and dogs has been a great help in realising and being continually aware of this.

I try to be consciously grateful for every moment; not always possible, but it's surprising how often you think of it with a little practice :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
At least you got to know him and had your life enriched by that John, and it will stay with you.

It's a feeling I have for the forum because of the joy and happiness it's brought into my life in the form of some very special people I would never have met without it.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I find I appreciate life more now that my future is inevitably shorter than my past. But as one gets older, the experience of losing friends gets more common. What uplifts me is the knowledge that there is a younger generation that still values many of the things I hold dear and there is plenty of evidence on the forum to support this view.

I have been fortunate to know many inspiring people in my life: many of them younger and sometimes much younger than me.

I'd love to pass on knowing that there were people who thought about me the way John Fenna thought about his friend.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Sorry for your loss John.

We're all going to be dead forever, so each day before that happens should be treasured.

Life would have to be very very harsh before I thought otherwise.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sorry for your loss John. Patton was talking about fallen soldiers but I think his quote applies equally well to family, friends, and anyone who's been important in our life: "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."

Of course it's impossible not to mourn though.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Spent much of today helping a group of young mentors for children who are the victims of severe bullying. Most of the mentors were themselves victims beforehand.

Then spent the evening at my job, supporting people with terminally ill relatives.

John's message is a good one. Life is good, and we should enjoy it.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Well said John and plenty of other interesting comments too.

I too find I enjoy life more as I get older. I think it's to do with thinking less about the future and living more in the moment.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Life is good! Today I was out in the glorious Sunshine on a walk round new places. Not too hot or cold, air crisp with spring life budding all around. Coffee brewed in the woods and peace and tranquility all around topped a marvellous day! Life is good!

I too am sorry for your loss.

One day too we shall all be part of the soil we tread. Every time I stare at the stars on winters nights I wonder how many of my ancestors have done the same and how many others in this world have looked at those same stars and wondered how many people enjoy what they have rather than be sad for what they have not.

Nepskillis Memegwesesiwak Ni wabama We only last as long as a passing shadow, our god only gives us one chance to live. Best to enjoy it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE