Les Howis Bow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy J

Forager
Oct 28, 2006
north wales
Hello folks, maybe not the place to asking about this kind of bow, but there will be someone who can tell me. Moderators move/ delete as neccessary please.I've had this bow and associated kit inmy loft for 17-20 years. It says on the front of the bowTS4. 66 13498H, 39(Lb) @28.I know it's a target kind of bow, but know nothing else. Shot a couple today, arrows, not people! Seems ok,does anyone on here know anything about these bows please?? Any info greatly recieved, Thanks Andy

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I have got a Les Howis Marksman Challenger TD bow for this is a bit of guess work:

The 13498H is probably the serial number, if it is a takedown bow you will have a serial number stamped on the riser (the middle bit) and another serial on both limbs, these should be the same as they were made as a pair.

The 66 denotes that it is a 66 inch bow and the 39(Lb) @28 is the draw weight e.g. 39 pounds at a draw of 28 inches.

Sadly Marksman is no more as no one wanted to take over after Les died which is a shame as they kept very good records as I found out when I hand my bow stolen and they could have probably told you a lot more about it from the serial number.

Hope this is the sort of info you are after. Next time I am over at the old folk's house I will see if I have any of my old Marksman catalogues.

Andy J

Forager
Oct 28, 2006
north wales
Great, thanks for hat sir! Yes, it's a one piece bow so only one serial number. Only one question, is it any good for use as a "practice" bow, for someone (begginer), like me? i thought it was delaminating, when trying to fit the string-but once I sort of got it right, the bow felt great. Any thoughts? Thanks, Andy

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
For a bow that old that hasn't been in regular use I'd be pulling it up carefully on a tiller tree at least 50 times to gradually get it to full draw length.

Look for the laminations parting, hairline cracks in back and belly. Also listen, any creaks should be treated with extreme cautiuon.

In laminated bows the wood can dry out and go brittle, the glass is affected by uv and the glue degrades.

There's a collector here:

http://www.archery-interchange.com/forum/showpost.php?p=69868&postcount=11

who might be able to give you more information.

Andy J

Forager
Oct 28, 2006
north wales
Interesting, thanks for that, Bentstick. When i was trying to get the string on, one of the limbs kept flexing the wrong way,twisting. It was then I could here a slight cracking, but once it was strung and I was pulling, and listening VERY carefully, all seemed well.Would you recomend using this bow? I am an absolute beginner,so any advice would be great. This bow has been in a "fur" lined case and from what I can see, is in great condition. I can see no cracks in the glaze, or anywhere. Thanks folks, Andy...

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
I'd much rather see a bow being used than hung on a wall...but just be aware that they don't live forever.

And a whack on the head or in the family jewels with a broken limb is not a nice exeperience. :eek:

Andy J

Forager
Oct 28, 2006
north wales
That'll do me! :You_Rock_ I'm going to order some new arrows from Quicks Archery. Don't know anything about these people, just from a search.Thanks everyone for your thoughts, I will post some photo's on here, when I get out and have some fun with this bow. Thanks, Andy :)

waylander

May 9, 2006
Co.Durham - Consett
Quicks are brilliant, I've had trouble with other suppliers but never with quicks. I bought my quiver from their while on holiday down london and it broke when I got back to the flat, so we phoned them and they told us to send it back to them and theyd send one to our home, no problem.

Andy J

Forager
Oct 28, 2006
north wales
Spot on! The best kind of advertisement, word of mouth...Yeh I will be ordering, probably this week, and will post some piccies, thanks, Andy..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE