What makes the best friction fire bow?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
To drop some pounds I have been hiking 3-8 miles a day on different trails with a pack. As part of this often I will do something bushcrafty like friction fire to increase the activity a bit. Also it's a good opportunity to pick up ticks. I just pulled the second one of the season off my hide today. :17: Happy happy, joy joy. Sometimes I carry the entire set in, sometimes just make parts and sometimes the entire thing from scratch. Sometimes it goes easy, sometimes hard and sometimes it doesn't GO! at all.

One part of the set which I used to obsess over was the bow. I watched all there was on Youtube about this topic. I asked people multiple times as to what made the best bow, often hearing only what I wanted to hear. In my mind it had to be..... you guessed it shaped like a bow. Only a certain size would do. Only certain wood characteristics were good enough.

But when doing this on the fly often there wasn't time to find the perfect materials. I would make the components, do the skills practice then move on with the hike. Ok lots of people do this and there is nothing I am saying that many don't already know. If you're working on this skill or considering giving it a try and like me wondered what makes the perfect bow the answer might be it doesn't matter. Or maybe it does? Lets take a look.

A short 4-mile hike before dinner. Don't have enough time to mess around too much with friction fire therefor packed some stuff in.

The paracord was part of a DIY hanging LED lantern but now it's going to be used for the bow string. What's the best length of cord? Heck if I know but odds are the best length of cord is no longer than the one you have. What's the best type of tree for the wood? Should the wood be green or dead? Should it flex or be solid? How long should the bow be? How much of a curve? Should it be curved at all? I hope you're not asking me these questions because I just cut any old branch off a fallen tree for this photo. Well not any branch. I did pick one off the nearest tree with accessible branches. The branch was dead but really only tested it with my hands to see if it was too fragile. What if it should break? Gosh the entire woods is full of branches. Speaking of the woods this dang spot was covered in rocks. Found that out after kneeling on one. Packed up the horse and pony show heading down trail for softer ground.

The mystic bow is done!

So how did I determine the optimum bow length? Based on researching the internet? No it was based on how much paracord I had. I did shave some bumps and twigs off the branch. Even took advantage of an off shoot to make a hanger for the loop. Not rocket science by a long shot.

Spent about a minute cutting a sloppy grove to hold the cord on the opposite end. Maybe I picked a weak branch which might snap at the groove or someplace else? I got at least 5 minutes invested in this. Too late to turn back now.

My firebow aka stick was ready to GO! This bow is the culmination of years of hard internet research and refinement. Sounds great but it's just a stick.

And it was a GO!

There is no epiphany or eureka moment here. I am not saying anything which isn't well known. Yes, the internet and books can be great sources of information. That said I do believe perhaps sometimes it's possible to over think something rather than just tying it. How many people are considering learning new skills but are just overwhelmed by the flood of information at our finger tips? I think maybe the best bow is the one you're actually practicing with.

Thanks for looking.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
There's a lot of truth in there; however good something is, it ain't no good at all if you haven't got it with you.

Disco1

Settler
Jan 31, 2015
UK
I agree with you research is great but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and get on with it.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Too true you'll never learn to swim reading about it or watching people do it on youtube videos

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Jumping in at the deep end might just be a simplistic fatal experience, too.
My drills and hearthboards work well (using my electric drill for power) to make a coal.
So far, I can't replicate the result by hand.

It follows that advice and mentoring a beginner such as my self is most appreciated.
If there was not so much spring crap to do outside, I might focus a little better on the task.
Maybe crappy WX next few days and I try again ( that means 5-10 trials.)

I'm quite prepared to believe that the tension and the quality of the bowstring for best rotation is paramount.

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
Jumping in at the deep end might just be a simplistic fatal experience, too.
My drills and hearthboards work well (using my electric drill for power) to make a coal.
So far, I can't replicate the result by hand.

It follows that advice and mentoring a beginner such as my self is most appreciated.
If there was not so much spring crap to do outside, I might focus a little better on the task.
Maybe crappy WX next few days and I try again ( that means 5-10 trials.)

I'm quite prepared to believe that the tension and the quality of the bowstring for best rotation is paramount.

That was trash fake paracord from Home Depot. It's garbage. The tension was too tight but I was too lazy to wrap the line around the stick again. Speaking of wrapping that was carelessly done and the knot a joke. The spindle was short and fire board measured mere inches. The only parts of that set worth anything was the duct tape covered shot glass and sycamore leaf which held the coal. I think Sycamore leaves look cool just like the rest of the tree.

I am no master of anything but here is something which might help. Don't get married to a set. By this I mean if a spindle and fireboard doesn't work it might never. Here is one which failed me. Ok granted it was raining and I was under a tree but still Tulip poplar on Tulip poplar should have worked but the set just didn't so I tossed it.

Your bow looked good so maybe just make a new spindle and fireboard. Try a cedar cooking board they sell in the super market. Make both the fireboard and spindle out of that. Then use a shot glass wrapped in duct tape for a bearing block. Odds are it will be over in about 10 minutes from start to GO! That super dry cedar works so well and with a shot glass bearing block the spindle will fly so fast it's almost silly. It should produce a coal in 10 seconds or less. I like to use natural and field expedient bearing blocks but if in a hurry or trying something new it's a shot glass for sure.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Interesting that you suggest the cedar cooking board = I make those to sell in the Farmer's market!
For BBQ, 3/8" is as thick as they can be.
Maybe a pic or two later to show. Bunch of raw 1" cedar boards that I can pick from for this.
Rotten cold WX today with snow again last night = shop day!

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
Interesting that you suggest the cedar cooking board = I make those to sell in the Farmer's market!
For BBQ, 3/8" is as thick as they can be.
Maybe a pic or two later to show. Bunch of raw 1" cedar boards that I can pick from for this.
Rotten cold WX today with snow again last night = shop day!

I haven't purchased one for a long time but mine were 1/2 inch thick. Cedar board from a lumber yard should work. What type of local wood do you have?

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
A shot glass and duct tape eh? I'm deffo gonna give that a bash! Thick coating of tape?

Enough layers so if the glass should shatter it won't cut you. Hands down the lowest friction bearing block I tried. Now I will use all types of things but learned on the shot glass because it removes the bearing block from the equation allowing a person to focus on what matters, proper technique etc etc.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Enough layers so if the glass should shatter it won't cut you. Hands down the lowest friction bearing block I tried. Now I will use all types of things but learned on the shot glass because it removes the bearing block from the equation allowing a person to focus on what matters, proper technique etc etc.
A scooter, Skate or skateboard wheel/bearing is even better...

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I looked at a few souvenier shot glasses. What's to stop the top end of the drill from wobbling all around in the bottom of the shotglass?

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
I looked at a few souvenier shot glasses. What's to stop the top end of the drill from wobbling all around in the bottom of the shotglass?

Oddly enough that's not really a problem as many shot glasses have a divot or neck down in bottom. Another pro is the spindle doesn't seem to fly out of the fireboard as much when using a shot glass bearing bock. Though that issue tends to mitigate itself with practice.

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
excellent discussion :)
i find a straight stick works just fine and helps reduce wobble...type of wood? doesn't seem to matter, nor does it matter whether the stick is green or seasoned, just that it be sturdy enough not to break during use.
nice work getting that ember amigo...but ditch the store bought hand socket and practice more with natural materials found in nature...my two cents...woods

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
excellent discussion :)
i find a straight stick works just fine and helps reduce wobble...type of wood? doesn't seem to matter, nor does it matter whether the stick is green or seasoned, just that it be sturdy enough not to break during use.
nice work getting that ember amigo...but ditch the store bought hand socket and practice more with natural materials found in nature...my two cents...woods

I use natural materials all the time for bowdrill. Not my first rodeo by a long shot brother. For example just the other day.

Sub 10 second ember.

One thing I really like about bowdrill is the building a little machine aspect of it. For example beyond the shell I used the lanyard off my little necker.

Deer antler works though they do eventually drill through.

Wood also works.

In a world covered in trash I will use that too.

Truth be told I will use nearly anything because in firecraft there is no such thing as cheating IMO. Only doing! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE