Lengths of cordage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hurplegrappers

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
R.C.T. South Wales
I'm waiting for my local army surplus to receive some 3mm paracord in olive green. Should be in this time next week.... It's £9.99 for 100 meters.

My question is this; what length pieces do you suggest I cut for rigging my DD Tarp XL (4.5m x 3m) ? 16 outer attachment points and 3 inner attachments points, oh and the ridge line.

I want enough to cover all angles but not too much to be bulky / over kill.

Your suggestions are much appreciated, thanks.

hurplegrappers

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
R.C.T. South Wales
5 metres per corner plus 15 for the ridgeline?

Thanks LBL that's what i'll do..

for the other attachments between the corner points I intend to set up a series of linked adjustment guys as demonstrated in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMmla9DSzo

Edit: Sorry out of curiosity I was just thinking, LBL is a well respected member here (myself endorsing that) but do others have any other / different views on this subject, if so why?

What works best for you? Just wondering.

Last edited:

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Depends where you are.

In forest or jungle I have only 7-8 metres for ridgeline and 3-4 metres for the guys.

I also carry 2m lengths to use as extenders which take 3 seconds to attach with a sheet bend.

2m incidentally is about right for making square lashings on wrist thick saplings for a pole bed or emergency stretcher so having at least 4 lengths handy is useful for emergencies.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have corner lines of about 3-4 m on my tarp, and a 10 m line for the ridgepole (handy hint aleph-2; get a 50 cm piece of shockcord and tie in a loop, use it as a "spacer" for your ridgeline attachement, mine lives pretty permanently on the tarp). But I also carry a small bag made from scraps of mosquito netting with several 3-5 m pieces of cord to use as extenders for the tie off points.

BTW, I actually prefer 4 mm braided polyester line to paracord; easier to knot, stronger, easier to haul on, better for bowdrills.

L

LordRose

Best thing to use if your in a woodland environment is two bungee cords for the ridgeline. So much quicker!

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I would say that my lengths are the 'top' end of what I would suggest. There are so many variables and how well spaced your trees are ;). Personally I always go for too much than too little. You can always shorten the cord :D

However I think the starting point is 5 metres per edge ( the rigdeline is so long because 4.5 metres of it is crossing over the top of your large tarp anyway). If you are hanging the tarp close to the ground and between two close trees you could easily half these lengths. However if you are hanging it well above head height it rather increases the lengths you need.

Best advice is...get out there and give it go :)

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
5 metres per corner plus 15 for the ridgeline?

What he said

Maybe 15m is a tad too long but I like to have the flexibility for when tree choices are limited. It's better to have a bit of excess which can be hanked up rather than not having enough.
5m for the corner guys is a useful length, again better to have enough. If you decide to put some props up at the corners to open the tarp up then having the extra length is good.
I'll be using my 4.5 x 3m for canoe trips mainly so weight and bulk doesn't really bother me. If I'm tramping on foot then I take my hootchie or 3x3 and then I'll only have a 10m ridge but still 5m for the guys.
Go for a static cord for the ridgeline, something like a 4mm climbing cord is good.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE