Legs for my hobo stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Yes, having seen several of these on the forum I just had to make one, but not totally happy about stability. So decided to make some legs for it, didn't want to have to spend time assembling etc so I came up with the following idea - see photos below.
hobolegs1.jpg

hobolegs2.jpg

hobolegs3.jpg

The legs are not attached, the hobo sits on them,they seem to work OK, the brick was put off centre to show how stable it is.
One advantage of these legs is they can be pushed into the ground a little and so if the ground is a bit uneven the hobo can be set up level.
The more weight acting down the tighter the legs grip the hobo.
They need finishing off but was keen to try them out to see if they would work, and yes I know my welding really sucks. :)

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Sorry fishy1 never gave that a thought, it clearly would not work on rocky uneven ground.
My activities are mostly carried out in woodland where this is not an issue.

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Thanks guys, feel free to try them out for yourselves.
I would be wary about increasing the leg offset greater than about an inch.
The picture below shows the dimension I used.
hobolegs.jpg

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Youre absolutely right biosdevie for a rigid structure, but the idea here is that the legs are not attached at all the pot simply sits on the hoop bits, the weight of the pot should make the two sets of pins above the legs press against the pot thus gripping it. In this respect it more resembles a pair of two legged clamps rather than a stand alone stand.
Is that too many stands.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I think that's a v. elegant solution.

Given the dimensions of the average hobo stove, it should be possible to find 15cm of flat ground somewhere near your campsite.

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Thanks for the nice comments guys, appreciated.
No WilS I haven't tried it out yet, give me a chance you know what it's like, you get an idea and rush to make it to see if it will work etc etc.
Unfortunately my pot is the same diameter as the Ikea and it doesn't want to sit on it very well at all so I need to make that arrangement more stable.
I am going to make a little cross grill out of a tatty piece of stainless I have, see pictures below. The prototype for this is in the photos made from a spare slat from a window blind I recently put up, but you get the idea.
When I have made these I will post an "action picutre" just for you.:lmao:
hobotop1.jpg

hobotop2.jpg

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Hi Pentrekeeper,

I like the look of the legs but I usually use mine on top of one of those folding steamer thingies from Ikea. and that seems stable enough.

However, I love the look of the cross-pieces on top. I often use a small billy to brew water for tea which sits inside the drainer on a couple of cut down tent pegs. However, when I used the larger billy I found that I had to make a pot hanger to keep the flames flowing around the base. Your little blades would be just the job and would even pack inside the kit.... it's hacksaw time!
Cheers,
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE