Leaving a spring air rifle cocked

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Probably better on an airgun forum but anyway there seems to be plenty of input on here too:

I have been wanting to invest in a PCP for hunting but was unable to find a shoot and am about to move so have put it off. Having read some of the comments on here I am now inclided to go for a AA TX200 to avoid the pump/divers bottle issue (and I can get it modded to FAC power when I move).

Anyway, apart from this rambling, I had springers years ago and was always paranoid about leaving them cocked as it was said it weakened the spring. I always cocked it just before shooting, which is not always convenient for a snap shot. What are the thoughts on this these days? If stalking/waiting it could be a long time before taking a shot. Does it really weaken the spring to keep it compressed?

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Only over a very long period of time.
BUT it's not really safe to be walking around with a cocked air rifle wheteher it's loaded or not.

Only over a very long period of time.
BUT it's not really safe to be walking around with a cocked air rifle whether it's loaded or not.

Good points Sapper, I'm afraid its part of the payback for having a springer, but the pros' outweigh the con's.
Even with some pretty serious abuse it should last a couple of years
If you learn how to change the spring yourself, the problem becomes even smaller.

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
not a problem for hunting fora few hours etc but yes if you regularly leave it cocked for 2weeks etc then it wont do it any good

I certainly wouldn't do that! The question came from stalking/lying in wait. We learnt the hard way the danger of leaving a cocked (and loaded) air rifle unattended when at about 7 years old I shot my dad in the neck with my uncle's rifle...

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
as said - it shouldn't be a problem for a few hours at a time. - but if it really worries you - you could get a gas ram air rifle.

these reportedly can be left for months with no loss of power.

they have the added bonus of not having that awful twanging noise you get from a springer. + I am pretty sure a silencer is actually quite effective on them too.

haven't looked back since I got my Daystate x2 though tbh.

andy

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Yep - I like the idea of the gas ram but they add another £100 or so to the outlay.

I don't quite understand why they resist the compression though. My understanding (which may be wrong!) is that a pre-filled gas reservoir is compressed and that drives the piston when it is released to power the pellet. I would have thought that puts huge strain on the seals when it is left for any time...

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Yep - I like the idea of the gas ram but they add another £100 or so to the outlay.

I don't quite understand why they resist the compression though. My understanding (which may be wrong!) is that a pre-filled gas reservoir is compressed and that drives the piston when it is released to power the pellet. I would have thought that puts huge strain on the seals when it is left for any time...

it is the same idea as a car boot lifter rod thingy (sorry - no idea what they are called)

but yes that is how it works - though I couldn't tell you specifics. one would imagine there would be quite a high pressure.:dunno:

I had a weihrauch HW90 for a month or two - I got it after some months research and various trips to the gunsmith's shop. By all accounts it was the perfect gun for me - but sadly I had a lemon. damn thing would not hold a zero.

ended up taking it back and paying the extra £300 for my X2.

keep an eye out on the second hand market. all kinds of stuff crops up now and then. - its just a case of being patient.
- being patient gets you an anvil for £10.50 ;)

andy

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
As has been said - hours won't kill your rifle, but weeks will. It's one of those 'rule of thumb' or 'play it by ear' things. If you know you won't have a shot - uncock rifle or don't cock it in the first place. If there's a good chance of a shot, cock the rifle and leave it cocked until there's no longer a chance of a shot.

When I used to shoot a lot of rabbits my procedure was pretty straight forward. On my then permission, I'd typically be able to see my potential target from 100yards plus, once located I'd cock and load the gun and then stalk to 25, or preferably 20, yards and take the shot.

If the rabbit bolted before I'd taken the shot, I'd de-cock the gun and look for another target. If I found one I'd recock the gun and start stalking again. If there were none, I'd re-cock the gun and fire the already loaded pellet into the ground.

Before I had guns with safeties, I'd usually cock the gun just before taking a shot - you'd be surprised how infrequently prey are spooked by a clumsy approach if they're not shot over frequently. It's surprise they don't like, quite often I've walked up to rabbits only 30 feet, 10 yards, distant before they've bolted but sneaking up to one at that distance is seriously difficult as they seem to view you more as a predator if you're taking pains not to be seen. Guns with safeties, take the safety off just before you intend to fire it.

FWIW an airgun is considered loaded if there's a pellet in the breech, regardless of whether it's cocked or not, so it's always worth clearing the breech.

Cheers,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE