"Leave no Trace". Yeah right.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
You can burn a lot of your rubbish but it amazes me the amount of people who think bean cans and drink tins are combustible. :dunno:

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Sorry, but as one of those that attended this meet, I'm a bit miffed with this thread.

Simon wasn't left out of pocket, many of us chipped in extra funds to help cover the costs. There was even a bit left over for HFH.

Some of us did help clear up, shifting unused pallets back to the woodpile, taking one of the fire drums back, lifting some of the empties and taking them offsite.

It needs to be repeated, loudly - these problems were down to the few, not the majority of attendees.

Just to echo what PJ said, the vast majority of people who have attended Meets organised by me have played well within the "rules"...it is the silent minority that have caused these issues.

Simon

featherstick

Forager
May 21, 2008
South East
I haven't been on BCUK for a while and this was the first thread I opened. How depressing, but it's not entirely unexpected. We use a lovely campsite in Sussex for our hols - last year they had terrible problems with people stealing wood, lighting chinese lanterns, vandal kids, litter, to the extent that their farming neighbours are becoming very anti-. To my mind it's a symptom of our consumerist society - I've paid my money, I'll do what I damn well like. How sad.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Economics plays a part too, people cant afford two weeks in Aya Grabher so they spend £99 down Halfords on a starter kit for four, load up crates of Tesco 'Ye Olde Wifebeater' and go camping.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
:lmao: @ YE OLDE WIFEBEATER!!! not seen that one on the shelves before rik.

I have just been sorting out some permissions for a few of my local scout sites for some meets etc and I have read this thread with interest. I think I will pick your brains Simon about how best to go about it mate. Not sure I could be doing with this sort of fall out after the event.

Andy

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
i am appauled (sp) this has even come up cos i thought bushcraft was leave only foot prints and take only memories type of activities and yes its not fair on simon, wayland, myself and mad dave or anyone else who has had to clear up after what i call scum

now the bying black bag idea i love think its mint and yes money goes to help this site

wish i had that idea

also simon if you decided that you didnt want to organise another meet it would be understood but a big loss and a apsulute (sp) shame.

drew

Gailainne

Life Member
The only thing I'm going to discuss on this thread is; if you are going to burn rubbish please make sure its organic in nature, plastics etc not only give off toxic fumes they leave residue which is toxic to the ground, better to bag it and take it away.

Cheers

Stephen

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
The only thing I'm going to discuss on this thread is; if you are going to burn rubbish please make sure its organic in nature, plastics etc not only give off toxic fumes they leave residue which is toxic to the ground, better to bag it and take it away.

Cheers

Stephen

I personally hate rubbish being burnt on the fire. I cook over it, I even once saw a pig being cooked nd plastic and fag ends were being thrown in to the fire! :dunno: What the hell is that all about?

Feb 2, 2010
w-mids
as a new member of bcuk i am sad to see that people are having to bring this up. if you go any place any rubbish you make should be taken away with you. this is not just common sense it your duty as a bushcrafter. any crap that you leave behind hampers the wildlife as well as the next person to use the area. as a boy my farther told me the rules of camping and number one in his book was leaving no sine of your camp. it seems to me that the people involved have the wrong mindset to bushcraft, maybe thay want to be ray mears in an armchair

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I believe we have already accepted in other threads that there's and element of escapism to Bushcraft but how sad that so many would appear to need an escape from Bushcraft care of alcohol. Whilst this is clearly something more than a shared campfire in the backwoods I still find it sad.

Alcohol is good for one thing only. Namely facilitating an introduction to a certain gorgeous barmaid (she was actually far more than that) in the now demolished pub next to Sevenoaks Station. That the pub was called the Railway & Bicycle is simply unfortunate!

Cheers
:beerchug:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
im realy dissapointed at this thread and would have thought people from this site would know better........

as it seems i was wrong..........

well done to the people who DID help out, and great job Phil keep up the good work and keep on showing other members how it should be done.......

i was going to organise a meet with 18x24 foot tent......sorry not now.......

hope i dont come across a thread like this again......regards, chris.....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can burn a lot of your rubbish but it amazes me the amount of people who think bean cans and drink tins are combustible. :dunno:

Lots of folks burn food cans off so that they don't stink in the bin bags afterwards. Things like tins of tuna can really make a mess. Burn them and then sift them out when the fire's cold. Same thing with grotty tinfoil. Burn it clean and gather it out of the ashes to dispose of properly. It can fair make the fire stink for a bit though :yuck:

Apparantly it's actually more wasteful of resources to wash out cans for recycling with hot water than it is to dispose of them in ordinary bins :dunno: I was told that by one of the folks who organise recycling collections.

Can't see any reason to burn lager cans though :confused:

cheers,
Toddy

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I've read the posts and agree with them but surely it's easier to say in the rules beforehand that you must take all your own rubbish away with you ?

Why not be more radical than this? Ban drinking at organised meets. No-one is going to die because they haven't had a beer and everyone will be both warmer and safer (think about the science and stats).

Not only that, but it should filter out those who have no self-control and for whom having a drink is crucially important. Let them go elsewhere.

I would implore meet organisers to move to an 'invite only' system and to state beforehand that there will be no alcohol brought onto the site and drunken behaviour will not be tolerated. Why are we all pussy-footing around this issue? It affects us all.

If I had kids, I would not want to take them somewhere where adults are drinking and knives and axes are commonly available. This is the sort of situation the newspapers would have a field day with: "Drunken campers brawl with knives while children neglected". If you think that's taking the idea a bit far, I suggest you need to read some red-top newspapers (and I use the word 'newspapers' in the broadest sense).

Last edited:

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Why not be more radical than this? Ban drinking at organised meets. No-one is going to die because they haven't had a beer and everyone will be both warmer and safer (think about the science and stats).

Not only that, but it should filter out those who have no self-control and for whom having a drink is crucially important. Let them go elsewhere.

Have you actually been to any of the Scottish meets?

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Why not be more radical than this? Ban drinking at organised meets. No-one is going to die because they haven't had a beer and everyone will be both warmer and safer

You dont need to have alcohol to leave blood stained dressing and litter behind, and this is along the nanny state lines of punish the many because of the few, think current knife laws.

Out of sight out of mind? partly why youths turn to local woodland for drinking dens... at least if people are comming to bcuk meets they are on the right track and can learn or be pointed out their mistakes rather than continue to leave a mess behind.

I would implore meet organisers to move to an 'invite only'

how do new people get in the "club"

If I had kids, I would not want to take them somewhere where adults are drinking and knives and axes are commonly available. This is the sort of situation the newspapers would have a field day with: "Drunken campers brawl with knives while children neglected". If you think that's taking the idea a bit far, I suggest you need to read some red-top newspapers (and I use the word 'newspapers' in the broadest sense).

you are painting a very bleak view of what is in general a very good social and educational experience for all in shareing stories, skills and experience around the fire.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was just about to say the same thing.

Firstly, to leave your litter for someone else to pick up is a filthy thing to do.
You brought it in, you take it out.

Secondly, pay your dues without having to be asked for it.
You wouldn't like it done to you, don't do it to other folks.

Drinking at any meet I have been at has not gotten out of hand.
There has not been one single injury due to imbibance at any meet I know of.
What drinking there has been, has always been of a social nature.
I'm not prepared to countenance a blanket ban.
Folks are adult, and that adulthood comes with expected responsibility.
For the record my doctor considers me a non drinker.

Unless the site, or the specific activity requires it, I'm also not prepared to do invite only meets.
Twice I have done recce meets to view a potential site, and invited individuals along whose judgement I value.

I was told at the Moot that the Scots are gregarious people ( well, mostly, there are a few come to mind who'd rather not be in a crowd for long ) I think to be honest it's just that we're prepared to say hello and invite someone in, rather than exclude them.
I detest cliques, and I really don't think they have any place in the woodlands.

Be open in what you expect from people regarding suitable behaviour.
There is a culture of littering in this country, folk can learn to change their attitude and habits regarding it.
Ask and most folks go out of their way to be helpful.

Lots of good points on this thread, and lots of tuppencehalfpennyworths from folks who haven't been involved at many events and I suspect getting very much the wrong impression.

I'm going to close this thread but if someone really has a valid point they want to make, pm me with your reply and I can add the post.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE