Leatherman Blade help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Delta Tubs

Oct 8, 2011
Aberdeen Scotland
Hi there all I am looking for some help concerning a Leatherman Wave. I have owned this for 18 years and has been in almost daily use.Last year I was stupid and snapped the main blade,straight one not the serrated.

I contacted Leatherman and they have no problem in replacing the whole unit which is a great testament to the company but this has immense sentimental value and i was hoping to get the blade replaced but due to its age they no longer have these blades in stock as the model has been updated.

My questions are.

1. Has anyone taken one of these apart and rebuilt,are there any problems with the screws and them snapping or loosening of after being put back in?
2. There are several knife makers on here, i take it to replicate this blade would not be a problem?
3. Can anyone recommend a Knife maker who could do this?

Thanks for your time.:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I feel for you mate!
My Wave was given to me by Mr T Leatherman himself and while the serrated blade was replaced when someone I loaned the tool to broke it, it has great sentimental value!
Unfortunately a bit involved in the pier head/closure (a flat springy thing in the bottom of the tool "trench" has broken and again, as the Wave has been updated, this bit is not replaceable and I was offered a New Model replacement.
I have semi-retired my Wave instead and it now lives with my sewing kit!
I have loads more Leatherman tools for field work :)

I hope you get yours fixed OK :)

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
At the risk of pointing out the obvious, couldn't a Leatherman tool of the same make and model be bought and you rob the blade out of it to fix yours? I'm sure ebay USA and the like would have sellers willing to sell you one.

I took my own Leatherman Supertool apart once without too much of a problem, finding the right driver bit for the screw heads can be a pain. The pins on mine are very like Chicago pins.
A word of advice though. Keep a list or better yet take a photo of the staggered opened blades BEFORE dismantling, as putting them back in the correct sequence can easily be forgotten if you step out of the room or even blink.

Sorry I can't help you with recommending a maker, though I'm sure buying a spare leatherman tool to rob the parts from would be a cheaper option. Just a thought.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Can you post a picture of the tool to know which model it is. I have a Wave I no longer use and if I can remove the blade your welcome to it.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I was in the same position with my Gerber multi-tool. Had it near on 16 years and a friend broke the scissors :(
I explained the situation to gerber and they agreed to take a look at the unit and if they could not repair it they would send me a new one and my old one back. They kept their word and when they both arrived I swapped out the broken parts my self ;)

Delta Tubs

Oct 8, 2011
Aberdeen Scotland
Thanks for all the replies people. I will have a look at BB soon. I have tried to purchase an older model wave but have been unable to find one,this was my first thought as well. I will try and post a picture but i am cr#p with technology and I'm using I products!!! Thanks for the offer Johnnyboy. I will keep that in mind and try to get the photo up but you would need to replace the blade with a spacer or my broken bit to keep yours working and I dont want people to pull things apart in case it breaks,a generous offer thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE