Leather stitching

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greenbeast

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2009
Northiam, East Sussex
I'm looking to make a leather sleeve for a new ebook reader i'll soon be getting.

My plan is to have the leather wrap round both edges and be sown on the back with one side overlapping the other.
I intend to make it resilient against the device slipping out so the seam will be under a little tension.

What would be the best (strongest) stitch to use in this instance?

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
A locking saddle stitch should do the job as long as the leather is thick enough to take the strain :) Youtube should be your friend for videos. No good making it out of chamois leather ;) What leather are you thinking about? Love to see some pics when you get going.

Cheers
Craeg

Greenbeast

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2009
Northiam, East Sussex
it's only 1.5mm dyed through.
i didn't want to increase the overall size too much and all i had in was 3.5-4mm veg tan.

I've got 18/3 thread to use, do you think i'm going to be ok?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
You'll be fine.

I would fold the leather in half so it's stitched up two sides, fold at the bottom and reader inserted from the top. If cut to the right size and stitched correctly, the thickness of the reader will cause enough tension to hold the reader in place. I would do saddle stitch, then also do another line of stitching down the edges, crossing over the edge of the leather. It'll add more strength and make it a bit decorative too.

Doing it your way is fine too, but I think you'll need to be quite accurate with your sizing whereas my way will have a bit of leeway.

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Good advice Stew. Look forward to seeing the photos GB. Good luck with that. Which reminds me, I have some soft leather to make a journal cover for my son to start college with next week.

:eek: To the leathercraft-mobile.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE