LEATHER Hide

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Claytons tannery in Chesterfield is the best value I found, especially if you buy a reject. (you'd be hard pressed to tell why it was rejected). I paid £39's inc vat for 10 sq ft of 3mm veg tan.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
im wanting to make a bag out satchel but the US is the best place i can find for think leather.

any help would be grate, thanks lads

Get straight on to LePrevo tomorrow morning they've finally got hold of some european water buffalo hide, about 2mm thick but incredibly strong and with a fantastic soft feel to it.

I made this from W.Buff:
PA010130copyb.jpg

PA010134copyd.jpg

It comes in a light yellow tan but being veg tanned, takes dye no bother at all.

Whatever you do; avoid Tandy! - way too expensive even before postage

Oh and don't forget to post up an introduction in the relevant section too;)

cheers

Last edited:

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Get straight on to LePrevo tomorrow morning they've finally got hold of some european water buffalo hide, about 2mm thick but incredibly strong and with a fantastic soft feel to it.

Whatever you do; avoid Tandy!

cheers

Whats wrong with Tandy buddy?

rancid badger

Whats wrong with Tandy buddy?

In my experience far too expensive, with no justification for their prices Gill

Ps: just been taking another look-first time I've bothered in about 2 years, same status though Gill, needles start at £1.89,-£1.30 ish from Leprevo, artificial sinew-big spool, tandy; nearly £23.39 same thing from Leprevo; about £21, anyone looking for leather craft items really should shop around

Last edited:

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I agree it is expensive i have only used it a couple of times but found the leather was a better stiffer quality.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I found the customer service at le provo left a lot to be desired. I get it that they're busy but being made to feel like an inconvenience when asking questions was a bit much. Also took over two days to get back to me on a sales query. Their website and ordering system requires attention too.

Claytons had me a price within an hour, were friendly and kept me informed.

I can also recommend the identity store in Matlock.

M

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
In my experience far too expensive, with no justification for their prices Gill

Ps: just been taking another look-first time I've bothered in about 2 years, same status though Gill, needles start at £1.89,-£1.30 ish from Leprevo, artificial sinew-big spool, tandy; nearly £23.39 same thing from Leprevo; about £21, anyone looking for leather craft items really should shop around

What are the prices like with delivery factored in?

Dreadhead

I made this from W.Buff:
PA010130copyb.jpg

PA010134copyd.jpg

It comes in a light yellow tan but being veg tanned, takes dye no bother at all.

Whatever you do; avoid Tandy! - way too expensive even before postage

cheers

thanks for posting this up again badger! i came across this months ago and totally fell in love with it, pictish symbols are the way tae my heart my arms, shoulders, chest and back are tattooed all over in them :D i tried for ages finding it again with nae avail. tis definitly a big inspiration for why i started leatherworking so must tip my hat!

i have order quite a bit fae tandy but only when they have sales on (which they do at the moment) then you catch some good bargains. otherwise i use the identity store.

rancid badger

Cheers dreadhead,its nice to hear folk are sometimes inspired by what you post:eek:

mountainm: prices with delivery factored in?:confused: I've no idea what leprevo charge, as I always deal with them face to face.

I'm a little surprised to hear you felt as though you were treated as an inconvenience on the phone, though their main business is certainly not internet based and they can get busy.

I've got to know the staff quite well over the last 5 years or so and they've always been very patient, answering my original newbie questions as well as advising me as I've progressed.

I'll be checking out the other providers mentioned in this thread though

anyway; hows our original poster getting on, have you gotten sorted out with some hide yet Scott?;)

cheers

Steve

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Le Prevo is awful to order from. Takes upto 2 weeks to recieve items they have in stock, plus they charge vat on postage, is that even legal when shipping from the UK? Isn't vat already paid on postage?

I found the customer service at le provo left a lot to be desired. I get it that they're busy but being made to feel like an inconvenience when asking questions was a bit much. Also took over two days to get back to me on a sales query. Their website and ordering system requires attention too.

Claytons had me a price within an hour, were friendly and kept me informed.

I can also recommend the identity store in Matlock.

M

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Le Prevo is awful to order from. Takes upto 2 weeks to recieve items they have in stock, plus they charge vat on postage, is that even legal when shipping from the UK? Isn't vat already paid on postage?

Don't know about the postage side of things, but if you're talking P&P - the &P part it would be illegal to not charge VAT on if you're VAT registered, or at least, to avoid the VAT on it.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Why do you charge Vat on postage and carriage when I can buy stamps without tax ?
This is required by Customs & Excise. ( Notice 700 section 8.3) If stamps are sold at a Post Office they do not incur Vat but if we stick them on a parcel then Vat must be charged. Please don’t blame us – it all goes to the government

Taken from here
http://www.leprevo.co.uk/FAQ.htm
Don't know about the postage side of things, but if you're talking P&P - the &P part it would be illegal to not charge VAT on if you're VAT registered, or at least, to avoid the VAT on it.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Why do you charge Vat on postage and carriage when I can buy stamps without tax ?
This is required by Customs & Excise. ( Notice 700 section 8.3) If stamps are sold at a Post Office they do not incur Vat but if we stick them on a parcel then Vat must be charged. Please don’t blame us – it all goes to the government

Taken from here
http://www.leprevo.co.uk/FAQ.htm

Sounds about right - the added value is in the company buying the stamps for you instead of you buying them from a post office and sending them on a SAE for them to post you your stuff, so it would be VATable.

rancid badger

Sounds a bit poor to me, to be honest:confused:

Hmm maybe Leprevo aren't as good as others at the mail order then.:(

I know one thing, if I had to wait two weeks for a delivery from them, for something they said they "had in stock" I'd certainly complain too.

I think the moral is: shop around! :eek:

kind regards

Steve;)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I find ordering from leprevo a total farce tbh. I only use them as a last option. Its a shame really, they have got loads of good stuff, but the experience of shopping there is a chore compared to pretty much everywhere else on the internet.

You have to manually type out your order on their order form, literally everything from quantity to description to price, colour, finish etc. You then submit the form and then must wait for an email confirmation. This can take anything from a day to a few days. Then you need to ring them to give them your card details. ( note you dont actually have a total price at this point.) then they invoice you after you give payment details. The cost shown on their webiste for items is excluding VAT, yet they don't point this out other than in the FAQ section. So when you order ( first timers) and say it adds up to £60 the bill you will eventually get will be for £80+. Last order i placed took 11 days to get to me from placing the order and all items were in stock.

They need to sort their ordering system out.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I find ordering from leprevo a total farce tbh. I only use them as a last option. Its a shame really, they have got loads of good stuff, but the experience of shopping there is a chore compared to pretty much everywhere else on the internet.

You have to manually type out your order on their order form, literally everything from quantity to description to price, colour, finish etc. You then submit the form and then must wait for an email confirmation. This can take anything from a day to a few days. Then you need to ring them to give them your card details. ( note you dont actually have a total price at this point.) then they invoice you after you give payment details. The cost shown on their webiste for items is excluding VAT, yet they don't point this out other than in the FAQ section. So when you order ( first timers) and say it adds up to £60 the bill you will eventually get will be for £80+. Last order i placed took 11 days to get to me from placing the order and all items were in stock.

They need to sort their ordering system out.

exactly my experience, except I didn't order, I took my business to somewhere that made me feel valued as a customer. Don't make me jump through hoops to spend money.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE