Leather bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I have an awful lot of quite flexibile leather scraps - plenty big enough for little simple leather bags. I was thinking of using ziplock bags in them to store food: flour etc.. I want to try something a bit upgraded from a circle of leather with holes around the edge. I'm just not sure how to stitch it, secure the hole, cut it out.....

Or are there any other ideas of what I could do with the leather? It of course is not heavy enough for anything like a sheath.

Cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I find I ache too much these days if I sew the *heavy* leathers :( but the finer weights make excellent pouches, thongs, straps.
I sew using either a needle specifically intended for leather working , sometimes called a Glover's needle, or use a round tipped carpet needle, and I prefer linen thread.

Stitching can either be simple over stitching (whipstitch), or a running stitch worked first one way and then back through the holes the other direction, or a backstitch. Saddle stitch is usually too heavy for the finer leathers and tears the holes and puckers the seam.

While it's decorative to finish off the edge of the pouch, it's not necessary, the leather won't fray or split.

Lacing holes can be re-inforced with eyelets but I rarely bother, it just doesn't seem necessary. If you don't have punch to make the holes then pinch the leather where you want the hole to be and either snip, using scissors or a sharp knife, a short straight line and then one joining it at an angle. Basically make a triangular hole; we know this works and it's seen in surviving archaeological leather pieces, punches come much more recently in time.

Might I suggest a small amulet pouch, big enough to hold a small firesteel as a starter?
Cut out two rectangles 9cm x 6cm, or 11cm x 8cm. find something like a mug and draw curves on two corners on the shorter side. Cut to this line and repeat on the other side.

Tie a knot in your thread, if you have some beeswax to run it through, so much the better, but a candle will work fine.
Begin at the side of the top edge, about 1.5cm down,and hold the knot inside the pouch; whipstitch upwards to the top and then work back downwards over these first stitches. This will re-inforce the top of the seam.
Stitch the seam about 3mm deep and try to keep your stitches to 5 or 6mm long. Work right round the pouch layers, and work the final stitches back down over the top ones at this side too for about 1.5cm. thread through to the inside and finish off the thread by weaving it through the back of some of the stitches.

If you have a paper punch you can wriggle a single layer of fine leather into the jaws and, with care, neatly punch out single holes. Failing that cut out the triangular ones with scissors or a knife. Try to aim for about 2cm down from the top edge, and on a pouch this size four holes each side is ample.

Simple, no fuss drawcord pouch, and there are as many ways to do it up, or improve it, as there are people :D It scales up very well too, and if you make a longer back piece and curve both top and bottom edges it'll become a flap lidded pouch. Make a button hole, sew on a toggle/ button/ bead and a neck cord for that type.

This type of pouch works well when made from scrap leather rescued from clothing, old trousers, jackets, the leg of ladies boots, that kind of thing.

If you find it too hard to pull the needle through the leather cut out a 3cm circle from scrap and use that to grip the needle; it's amazingly effective :)

Hope this helps, have fun,

Cheers,
Toddy

p.s. If your pieces aren't big enough to cut out a larger size, fine leather patchworks very well.....if you have access to a sewing machine then youmight find it speeds everything up; my old machine will sew leather, the fancy, all singing, all dancing modern one won't. :rolleyes:

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Sounds good Toddy, have you got any pics? I've only ever used saddle stitch (I think!) myself, but have been meaning to make some bags for ages and would be interested in seeing the stitching for lighter weight leather.

Thanks,

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay, no boasts about the photography :rolleyes: :eek: .....it was late, HWMBLT was asleep and I had the bits and pieces on my cluttered desk.
Four little pouches form scrap leather.
The dark brown one with the wooden stick fastening has two sections, I used a red leather lining. It's sewn with stab stitch, just up and down through the layers and over sew at the top edges.
I think I took about a dozen photos so if you want more details, let me know and I'll go pester my tech ref manuel some more ;)

IMG_8193.jpg

Cheers,
Toddy

Bunnerz

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2006
Bedfordshire
This may be a silly question, but has anyone got a template that can give me a rough idea on what shapes to cut my leather if im hoping to make a simple pouch to carry things like flint and striker, salt and pepper etc? like the dark green one in toddys photo.

cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE