Leather and canvas pouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
That is a top piece of kit. Just the type of thing I've been looking for. I've often been out and about and thought 'I wish I'd brought a little bag to gather .....' Perfect!

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
That is a top piece of kit. Just the type of thing I've been looking for. I've often been out and about and thought 'I wish I'd brought a little bag to gather .....' Perfect!

Happened to me a while ago when the last of the good blackberries were out, that's why I ended up making one. Mind you, I keep a zip lock bag inside for messy things like blackberries! The canvas is nice an breathable for collecting fungi though.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Depends what you want to forage. That size would be alright for smaller stuff. But what if you were mushrooming and stumbled on a big patch of chantrelles or oysters for example....... :) I just think is good to have a couple of sizes if you plan to sell them, as not everyone has the same uses, for what is essentially a useful bit of kit. :) I'd be tempted to make a dedicated foraging one, perhaps sectioned to keep edibles from non edibles for example :)

Thanks, Mark. Do you think you would need a larger version? I was thinking I might have made it a bit big :O

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Depends what you want to forage. That size would be alright for smaller stuff. But what if you were mushrooming and stumbled on a big patch of chantrelles or oysters for example....... :) I just think is good to have a couple of sizes if you plan to sell them, as not everyone has the same uses, for what is essentially a useful bit of kit. :) I'd be tempted to make a dedicated foraging one, perhaps sectioned to keep edibles from non edibles for example :)

Thanks, I'll take that on board. I suppose it might not be big enough for the particularly hungry fungi hunter! The only problem with going bigger would be the price would go up. I'd certainly make one if someone wanted it though. I'm making myself a day pack out of this stuff in my spare time, which is essentially just a much bigger version with a larger flap and straps. Mind you I seem to have little spare time lately :(

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have a couple of the Maxpedition dump pouches. The smaller one just fits a Nalgene bottle and the larger one on the left is 6x9x3 and is bigger than you think. I use this one for collecting twigs and tinder for my wild wood stove.
Also really handy for gloves, hat and other bits you take on and off regular.
76B91B94-ADED-48A8-8EEE-32E074128FEF-1577-000001B792AE8890_zpsc0cc723b.jpg

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
nice rendition

saw these on BCUSA a while back and thought about making one myself at some point

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire

Ditto that!

Love the design.

2" belt loop as is is great. Detatchable whilst full of berries/nuts etc may not be great:D

Would a design that folds up horizontally be an option so the folded package is not much wider than your belt? Then unfold and drop down..... that way you would also have a wider belt lop for heavier loads?

Does that make sense?

I would buy one

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i like that a lot, have to say i'd go for the detachable version.

let me know if you do one with the press studs on the belt loop, i'd buy it !

edit:

in fact, if you can do a detachable one, can i order it now ?

Last edited:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks, fellas. i thought of an all leather version too, but canvas just seemed to work better for this type of thing.

Pignut, to answer your question: you could do a horizontal one, but you would loose the leather loop over the top of the bag when open. I can make the leather section as wide as required on them, but I'm completely confident these will hold up to any load you might want to put in there and that particular design of belt loop gives great stability to a pouch.

Mark, I had thought about a brass drainage grommet, but left it out of my own version. Could be added to one if needed easily.

Last edited:

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Thanks, fellas. i thought of an all leather version too, but canvas just seemed to work better.

Pignut, to answer your question: you could do a horizontal one, but you would loose the leather loop over the top of the bag when open. I can make the leather section as wide as required on them, but I'm completely confident these will hold up to any load you might want to put in there and that particular design of belt loop gives great stability to a pouch.

Fair point!

As it stands I would still buy one.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE