Leather and canvas pouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Here are a few pictures of a project I've been working on. It's a leather and canvas version of a military style 'dump' pouch. I have used the military one's in the past and found them a very useful piece of kit, but I didn't really like the fact they were made out of nylon, so I decided to make my own with more traditional materials.
It's made from UK made water and rot proofed 15 ozcotton canvas and veg tan leather with brass hardware. It's all hand stitched. The leather is saddle stitched on and the main seam is done with a flat seam in the traditional way sailors have been sewing canvas for as long as it's been around. Anyone who has had to sew through four layers of 15oz canvas and 4mm leather on top with sympathise with me here :(

The pouch folds up neatly on your belt, or the strap of a bag or pack and can be opened up when needed. I've found it great for foraging, whether you're collecting wild edibles, fungi, or tinder materials, it's great. It's also handy for some extra space on a pack to carry whatever won't fit into your pack. You can fit cooking equipment, food, water bottles, whatever in there.

I've deliberately made it extremely robust so it can withstand being used as an everyday use as a possibles pouch too.

It measures 3.5" x 4.5" x 1.75" closed and 10" x 9" x 3.5" when opened.

I'd appreciate any and all feedback as I'm considering making these for sale in the near future. If it something you would buy and use, I'd be very interested to know.

Thanks all :)

Last edited:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thats tidy work mate.
And yes I'd buy one

Thanks, mate. If there's anything about the design you think could be improved I'd gladly take it onboard.

Cracking job, well done:)

Thanks, glad you like it :)

I was thinking of adding another, larger belt loop to the back with press studs to give the option of quick release too. I didn't do it on this one as I don't want one, so I'm still o convinced it would be a good addition.

Thanks, mate. If there's anything about the design you think could be improved I'd gladly take it onboard.

Thanks, glad you like it :)

I was thinking of adding another, larger belt loop to the back with press studs to give the option of quick release too. I didn't do it on this one as I don't want one, so I'm still o convinced it would be a good addition.
Aye a belt loop would be handy for use as a foraging pouch.
For me maybe a different material for the draw cord and toggle perhaps? As the traditional leather and canvas seems a bit unsuited with oaracord and a platic toggle.
But not crucial its still a bang tidy job and I'd be happy t have one as it is

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Aye a belt loop would be handy for use as a foraging pouch.
For me maybe a different material for the draw cord and toggle perhaps? As the traditional leather and canvas seems a bit unsuited with oaracord and a platic toggle.
But not crucial its still a bang tidy job and I'd be happy t have one as it is

Thanks for the honest feedback. I was thinking a leather toggle and draw cord on the next version too. There is a belt loop on at the moment, but it isn't quick release. I was also thinking a smaller version could appeal to some.

Thanks for the honest feedback. I was thinking a leather toggle and draw cord on the next version too. There is a belt loop on at the moment, but it isn't quick release. I was also thinking a smaller version could appeal to some.

Quick release isnt a fuss for me.
If it fits a standard belt then it doesnt need t be altered. I dont use a thick belt.

The leather toggle and draw cord would work well and look good with the canvas and leather materials already being used

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Neat, strong, well made, will last, good materials, folds away... What's not to like? I can see them selling well.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I like the look of this very much; like you, I've used them a lot and think they're a great bit of kit, but your last observation is right on the money, you need to be able to detatch them from belt or pack without having to undo everything to slide them off.

With that sorted I'd be a customer, subject to price, of course! I reckon this is a very good idea, and certainly for anybody using a wood-gas stove on a multi-day trip.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland

I like the look of this very much; like you, I've used them a lot and think they're a great bit of kit, but your last observation is right on the money, you need to be able to detatch them from belt or pack without having to undo everything to slide them off.

With that sorted I'd be a customer, subject to price, of course! I reckon this is a very good idea, and certainly for anybody using a wood-gas stove on a multi-day trip.

Thanks for your input :)

They would be ideal for keeping a stove away from other kit too. Maybe I will make some with a detatch and some without? If I do it right, I may even be able to make them compatible with that military molle stuff.
Price wise, I havn't a clue yet. They are time consuming to make, but I'm hoping to make them at a price that reflects the time and quality, but is still affordable.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice pouch that mate. I like the way it can be folded into itself when on the belt. I feel that a larger version would be excellent as a foraging pouch. But the foldaway idea would be essential for it. :)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Nice pouch that mate. I like the way it can be folded into itself when on the belt. I feel that a larger version would be excellent as a foraging pouch. But the foldaway idea would be essential for it. :)

Thanks, Mark. Do you think you would need a larger version? I was thinking I might have made it a bit big :O

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE