leaf springs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well one of my hobbies is tinkering with cars, at the mo we are taking the leaf springs (sp?) off a pontiac and seem to remember that the steel is suitable for toolmaking?
Was thinking maybe on the lines of a draw knife????
What ya think?
I've got access to oxy and a anvil.
Dave

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
leaf spring would be good, actually sitting right now thinking about getting some to attempt a kukri.

this un is a leaf spring or was :D

my first blade made 20yrs ago at school and college :eek: :eek: (the horror)

knife1.jpg

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Leaf springs? Certainly useable from what I understand (no 1st-hand experience myself), though I understand they frequently have pre-existing stress cracks which exhibit themselves during the heat-treatment process of whatever beautiful object you've spent hours working on.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ok will have a look see at them. I know they are rusty (not terribly) really thick and have collapsed (gone saggy) but I just seem to remember reading they were good steel.
Fancied a draw knife but too tight to buy one.
Dave

jonquirk

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Guildford
My brother made a neat tool for cutting nettles in the bottom of a ditch from a leaf spring. He put a bend, about 75-80 degrees six inches from the end and put an edge on the short bit. A bit of tape around the other end and we had a fine tool that saved a lot of stooping and sore backs as a result.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE