Latin (botanical) names for trees/plants etc

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
P

Pcwizme

Just to chuck my hat in to the ring, I agree with all the comments about doing it,
However 2 books to look at are the collins book of Trees and the Collins book of birtish Trees, one of them if packed full of photos, absolutly bursting with them and loads of infomation on the tree, the other has a fantastic Key to help you work out what tree it is in it.
What i would say how ever is dont stress over the names too much, look at the trees and often the name makes sense (not always) for example Betula pendula - Silver Birch have a look at the long thin branches that hang down... like pendulums,
you do need to be careful with some though, as the Wild Cherry, Prunus avium avium means Bird, Where as the Bird Cherry is Prunus padus. Not always as clear as you would like to think....

on the plus side some of them will stick in your head like glue, for example (and i appoligise about the spelling) Plantus x hispanica (London plane) The Key thing about that name is the x this shows its a hybrid.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
when I was studying horticulture we were forced (very much against my will) to learn the scientific names. Begrudingly I am forced to accept that it was beneficial.

As i said know nothing about it so didnt realise it wasn't latin but botanical names Sorry my mistake could maybe a Mod change threads title please?
i've have copies of the collins gems trees and also wild flowers and food for free and they are all very useful.
just getting me head around the scientific names as it is a bit daunting

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
The book I find that works for me tis Collins Complete British Trees by Paul Sterry which is a photographic guide and has a section on winter twigs in it. It is winter twigs which we are being started on in College (Lecture walked in with a large bag of twigs yesterday tucked under his arm to get us started) an interesting two an half hours followed.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Just to add that knowing the names of things is not at all the same thing as being able to identify them. Knowing the name doesn't put you in any danger of eating a poisonous species. Eating something that you aren't 100% certain of the identification of does.

Identification is a whole other skill.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
I used to keep a list of the plant names I was trying to learn in my pocket.
On one side was the common name on the other was the latin name.
I also noted down any facts that would help me remember it.
Taking it out whenever I had a spare couple of minutes was quite a good way of learning them in a shortish space of time.

But I haven't practiced for years, I might go and see if I have my old notes as I don't think I got rid of them.

as a lot of people before me already said: most definitely you'll need the botanical names- i've had it more then once that the same common name was used for different plants in different regions or vice versa. and ending using/eating the wrong plant might be unhealthy... .
it takes time, yes(i can verify that as i needed to learn hundreds of names(and forgot most of them) for a long-time-ago apprenticeship...), but it's definitely neccesary for plant ID.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE