Large medium weight British army modular sleeping system size?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Hi guys,

I've been recommended a few v good sleeping bags, but unfortunately my £'s don't currently stretch that far, so I'm considering the above sleeping bag which I can source for what I think is quite a good price. I'm also trying to kill a bunch of birds with one stone and going for something I can use sooner, then maybe in the summer I'll look at alternatives.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea on how much room it takes up in a compression bag? like literage? I've read that you're not really supposed to compressed them like mental as it compresses all the down and makes them less warm etc, but I haven't seen anything to give me much indication of whether it'll fit into a neat size or whether I need a bergen just for the sleeping bag itself.... if you get what I mean...

Reactions: Condex

Condex

Life Member
Jul 19, 2004
Back in BARRY, AFTER 20 yrs in Asia
All I can say it is a great bag ( if never washed) or at least only by VERY good cleaning company who now how it must be done !!
My unit wrote off about 30 sending them to “a ??? Dry cleaners”
Size is normally much bigger than man size as it must accommodate them in full clothing boots off but in bag and! An SLR Rifle !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I need the large as I'm not a small person 6'6" and 17 odd stone. It's more working out the size before purchase as it will affect other choices.

Condex

Life Member
Jul 19, 2004
Back in BARRY, AFTER 20 yrs in Asia
I/we never compressed them
They were general in Burgan or on top under flap
I guess with modern compression bags it would compress at least 50% or more if it had been treated well.
But should not be kept compressed more time than necessary and would need lot of exercising to get air back into filing.
Flapping it around not good idea in action! So possibly why it did not have compression straps
But civil use no problem
Not sure if that helps but hope it does.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
@Condex

Tbf, that puts a lot of perspective into why they are the way they are and not overly sold in compression bags etc, so it helps me consider care and transportation more than anything.

Yeh, I can totally understand a group of squaddies flapping them around to try and decompress them certainly wouldn't be ideal! haha.

A lot of this stems to bag choice, of which I'm stuck between the Dutch sting, or the Dutch Saracen. Both are what I think I want in a bag, but the Sting is a bit smaller than the monstrous Saracen and if I can get away with smaller I wouldn't mind as I've yet to see a Saracen on someone that doesn't look absolutely massive... but then I think one vid I watched the guy was 5'4".... so it's hard to find perspective.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The simple question is:
If put into the British army bivvy bag and than both stuffed to the bottom of a NI patrol pack or a British army Bergan, how much of the capacity of the main compartment will it need?

Would the NI patrol bag be full or not?
Does it fill half the main compartment of the Bergan?

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
It really depends on how much time you take to put it away and if you have a decent compression sack for it. With a bit of extra time, practise and a good compression sack it will all compress down nicely and not take up much room

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I own perhaps 20 compression bags and none of them really fits my needs.

:encourage:

If the sleeping bag in the bivvy bag fits by accident well into the compression bag the question is, if it fits by accident well into the own rucksack.

You can try out all compression bags that are offered if you are rich.
But on a budget it's surely the best to stuff it just to the bottom of the rucksack.

Last edited:

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
I own perhaps 20 compression bags and none of them really fits my needs.

:encourage:

If the sleeping bag in the bivvy bag fits by accident well into the compression bag the question is, if it fits by accident well into the own rucksack.

You can try out all compression bags that are offered if you are rich.
But on a budget it's surely the best to stuff it just to the bottom of the rucksack.

I would have to check but I’m pretty sure I am using the one that came with it and it works just fine to compress everything down so it doesn’t take up too much space

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Does the British Army Goretex bivvy bag fit into it with the sleeping bag?
What are the dimensions in the end if it's not compressed like a steel bullet?

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
The simple question is:
If put into the British army bivvy bag and than both stuffed to the bottom of a NI patrol pack or a British army Bergan, how much of the capacity of the main compartment will it need?

Would the NI patrol bag be full or not?
Does it fill half the main compartment of the Bergan?

Thanks Erbswurst, this is precisely what I'm asking.

As we have chatted before the Dutch Saracen is 100L without side pockets, but it seems like it could be absolutely massive. I haven't got to see one for real unfortunately and as above, in the videos most of the people holding them are mid 5ft tall... Equally, I'm sure if someone like Hafthor Bjornsson had it on it'd look like a childs schoolbag...

The Dutch Sting is 60litres... so it's just a case is the majority of the pack going to be filled with sleeping bag..

I guess maybe I'll crack on and order the sleeping bag, then once that arrives stuff it into a (I think) 55L bag, to see the room. I just hoped to order things together to crack on before Christmas.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have had the current issue british modular sleeping bag before (its like a slightly thinner, marginally lower spec version of the Carinthia Defence 4). It is issued with a compression sack, and it is possible to fit it inside the issue goretex bivi bag and then get both inside the compression sack. I only have a dutch army saracen rucksack, but i would estimate that suitably compressed it would occupy 50-65% of the internal volume of a 60litre bag. i don't know the shape/dimensions of the base of the main compartment of the Sting,so a bit of experimentation will need to be had to work out whether most efficient use of space can be obtained with it in the compression sack, versus just stuffed into the base of the bag.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I guess the main compartment of the Sting has 55 litres, isn't it?

With flap pouch 60?

With both side pouches 80 litres?

It seems to be like that.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@MrEd has the Sting. (He actually wants to sell a Dutch one for a good price with matching sidepouches, because he could find a plain olive green one for himself.)

If you all three stay on board here you are able to figure out which sleeping bag and which Dutch rucksack are the best choice for @Scottieoutdoors.

To say it before: The point is, that he is very tall and surely needs a pretty large volume, because he always needs size XL in every case.

And the question is, if he gets the stuff into a Sting or if he needs the Saracen.

We talk about low budget equipment, so we usually talk about used British army Equipment here that's offered by Endicotts what isn't far away from his house.

He is tall but not as strong as Obelix, because not working as a carpenter.
That's why he is interested in the Sting.

We need to pack an equipment for him SOLO that enables him also to go for hiking with his wife in the Dartmoor area. Because she is smaller he needs to carry tent and kitchen and on top a blanket for his little dog for winter camping.

I know the Dutch rucksacks and most British army equipment only from the internet, and that's why I can't be so really helpful in this special case.

Can he compress XL surplus stuff into a Sting or not? That's the question!

Last edited:

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I have had the current issue british modular sleeping bag before (its like a slightly thinner, marginally lower spec version of the Carinthia Defence 4). It is issued with a compression sack, and it is possible to fit it inside the issue goretex bivi bag and then get both inside the compression sack. I only have a dutch army saracen rucksack, but i would estimate that suitably compressed it would occupy 50-65% of the internal volume of a 60litre bag. i don't know the shape/dimensions of the base of the main compartment of the Sting,so a bit of experimentation will need to be had to work out whether most efficient use of space can be obtained with it in the compression sack, versus just stuffed into the base of the bag.
Excellent, tbh that's kind of what I was after. It's hard to gauge it all really. I have a laptop backpack and I know for sure I can't use that because there would be no other room for anything, I don't want to find the same thing with the Sting. Judging by what you've said it might be worth getting the Saracen... when I add in things like dog paraphernalia, tent, water, wife paraphernalia :p um, food, etc...

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
@MrEd has the Sting. (He actually wants to sell a Dutch one for a good price with matching sidepouches, because he could find a plain olive green one for himself.)

If you all three stay on board here you are able to figure out which sleeping bag and which Dutch rucksack are the best choice for @Scottieoutdoors.

To say it before: The point is, that he is very tall and surely needs a pretty large volume, because he always needs size XL in every case.

And the question is, if he gets the stuff into a Sting or if he needs the Saracen.

We talk about low budget equipment, so we usually talk about used British army Equipment here that's offered by Endicotts what isn't far away from his house.

He is tall but not as strong as Obelix, because not working as a carpenter.
That's why he is interested in the Sting.

We need to pack an equipment for him SOLO that enables him also to go for hiking with his wife in the Dartmoor area. Because she is smaller he needs to carry tent and kitchen and on top a blanket for his little dog for winter camping.

I know the Dutch rucksacks and most British army equipment only from the internet, and that's why I can't be so really helpful in this Special case.

Can he compress XL surplus stuff into a Sting or not? That's the question!
Judging by what others say, if 50% minimum (at a guess) is room it will take in a sting, I'm not sure that's much room left. The other option is to underfill the Saracen anyway... it's got plenty of compression straps, so I could just tighten them up to reduce the sheer bulk of the pack...

And hey... maybe the Saracen can be my winter pack with my winter gear and enough jumpers to clothe an army! and I'll sort a less bulky pack for the summer! without a 3 season sleeping bag.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
If you are happy with the 4Kg that saracen weighs empty, I'd got for that over the sting. I like the access to sleep bag or "whatever you wish to put in it" compartment at the bottom.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Ideal, will get that ordered when I get home!

The extra weight isn't so much of an issue as I'm not planning on racking up insane mileage to start with and if I'm ever sily enough to do a John O'Groats to Lands End then I'll pick up some suitable gear!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE