lanyard how-to?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Jake Rollnick said:
Stew, you should send people samples, it's quite rewarding! Nice feeling once you have taught someone a nice skill. Or send me some and once i've learned i'll send them off to people!! :lol:

To be honest Jake I don't think it would be worth my time. Just sending the finished product wouldn't help anyone else learn as they're quite complicated and they take quite a while to tie.
The fob is actually made up of 3 different types of knot. The first 2 (starting from the knife), I can do without refering to instructions. The final knot is a star knot and is the most complicated knot I've tied. Ever. I have to refer back to the instructions every time I repeat this knot but it's very rewarding to have a finished one.

However, what I shall do is post links to instructions which will help others.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Darn, well im sure there will be plenty more...when there is, i 'd like to be taught :wink: :wink: :eek:):

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Stew, thats a nice little lanyard/fob.
Ive had sore fingers with making tons of similar things to dish out as keyfobs.

I have always thought that the star knot looks even better when tied in a stiffer material, it really enhances the definition.

The star, is what I use on my leatherwork, as a thong finial.
The flattened-triple-loop final pass ,for this knot, is ,imho, even better that the oft-used doubled crown.

The star ,is also my favourite topknot for hazel staffs. Or ,as the, "mem" calls ,em ,my Gandalf sticks!

Nah, the star aint all that hard to learn, do six or seven in short order, and youve cracked it. Its in the tightening-up, where most folk go wrong. Too often, they haul and rive , out of sequence and distort everything.

Nice one, Stew. I reckon you,ve been a Cape-Horner !

Seagull

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Thanks guys! Crisis, they look complicated!

Will give it a go, when i have the time!

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Jeez, Stew, I just checked out those instructions you posted.

Apart from management systems paperwork, Ive never ,in my life ,seen a more long-winded and and convoluted process description!

Seagull

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Seagull said:
Jeez, Stew, I just checked out those instructions you posted.

Apart from management systems paperwork, Ive never ,in my life ,seen a more long-winded and and convoluted process description!

Seagull

They weren't made by me! If they were they would probably be 10 times worse!! :eek:):

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Seagull said:
I have always thought that the star knot looks even better when tied in a stiffer material, it really enhances the definition.

Thanks for the tip!

Seagull said:
The flattened-triple-loop final pass ,for this knot, is ,imho, even better that the oft-used doubled crown.
Do you mean tucking all the ends back in afterwards? :roll:

seagull said:
Nah, the star aint all that hard to learn, do six or seven in short order, and youve cracked it. Its in the tightening-up, where most folk go wrong. Too often, they haul and rive , out of sequence and distort everything.
Well as they say practice makes perfect. I've made 5 of the star knots know but quite spaced out. I haven't had the time to do lots close together.

seagull said:
Nice one, Stew. I reckon you,ve been a Cape-Horner !

I'm a what-now? :?:

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Stew, regarding the flattened triple-pass finial:

This is gonna be awkward, in words, but I will try.
I cannot see from the pic, just what kind of finial you have there.

Basically, the building-up, of the star, means you have paralleled all the parts with which you,re working, and you,ll have doubled vertical rings which link through doubled horizontal rings. (Just think this through, a bit, before we go further).

This leaves you with all the working ends emerging in a direction AWAY from the body of the fob. ( make any sense?)

This is the basic star knot, and sailors commonly cut off the ends at this stage, or even, frayed them into a sort of tassle.

At this point,you have the choice, if you wish, of two forms of finial, both of which, will require the working end of each part, to be tucked inside the construction so as to emerge pointing along the direction of the fob body.

For the flattened triple, you take each working end, in sequence, and follow, yet again, downward through the nearest horizontal link (lug) and on , kind of sideways and downward, through the most adjacent vertical link...... so that each working end has been given finishing friction, by 4 tight nips, and it will not ease free. You can then nip off the ends, (sharpened pincers or sidecutters are best) close on the underside of the star.

Beauty of both the triple and the doubled crown, is that they can both result in leaving you with(if you need em) ,TWICE the number of original "working ends", with which to continue the remainder of the job at hand.

As before, whats really the grunt work, is the proper way to tighten-up, or, "work" the knot and the secret of that, is to just take your time , little by little, and stay in sequence. Dont try to tighten up, even slowly, through one whole ,"cycle" at a time.
Best way , is to easy-easy work through no more than a half-cycle, before moving on to the next working part. Then come back again and finish all the half cycles.

And then, go around the whole lot, yet again.......in half cycles,you will need to do the whole sequence, approx 3 or 4 times, dont lose patience.

As a time guide, just to show you about taking it easy, it should take ,perhaps, 10 minutes to form and finial a five-pointer star, in 6mm material, but to work it all really tight, will take you a minimum of an hour.

And, to think that I had the brass neck to comment about long-winded descriptions, eh?

Gotta give yer top marks for staying with whatever instructions you used, most folk just give up. Ditto your comments to Jake, the learning HAS to be a singular and specific experience.

A Cape - Horner, by the by, was an accolade of title, given to the wind-ship sailors, who survived a passage, in both directions, around Cape Horn. Its use, is from about the 1830,s, to date.

Right! I think its time for a plate of hot Stockholm tar and rope-yarn for breakfast.

Seagull

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Hey Seagull,
I haven't had chance to make any more star knots but a new camera has allowed me to get a good shot of how I finished the end of the one I did before.

Click the pic for a bigger version

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Yo! Stew, what you have there, is the doubled-crowned finish .

Next time, give the triple-pass finish, a try.
IMHO the triple is better as a finial for fobs ,lanyards and bellropes, or sticks.

However, for wall-mounted arrays, seen from end-on, then the doubled-crown is slightly more decorative, especially if you leave its structure untightened at all, til youve taken all the working slack right out of the base .

If you ever get chance to see the dustcover of Ashleys Book of Knots, youll see what I mean.

Good show! and nice photo.

regards
Seagull

Jan 23, 2009
arizona
Here's a couple:

Monkey fist "stopper" with a single-plait braid, finished by a hangman's noose:

fob.jpg

Current fave is a doughnut knot followed by a flat sinnet:

ns-lanyard.jpg

i saw the instructions you gave for the flat sinnet and i tried to follow them but i could not make that knot for some reason. can you provide better instructions or know of a link that describes it better?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE