lanyard how-to?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Bill, can i send you a sample and instructions of the lanyard, that way i wouldn't feel guilty about the cigar box!

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Jake Rollnick said:
John, do you want a sample and instructions of the lanyard i use? I'd be happy to mate.

Did you get the starkie instructions?
Thanks Jake but the links I have found will see me okay.

Yes I did get your instructions, thank you :biggthump They arrived today and I was just about to PM you a thank you.

Now I do not want to sound ungrateful but how exactly did you think I was stropping my knifes with the belt:?:

Answer the same way you discribed for the Starkie :nana:

Still at least I now know that you do not have some unique technique that is getting you better than average results. Must just be you got the super duper starkie while I have the regular.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Possibly!

The thing with the belt is you can't be as accurate with strokes, as you don't do it on a flat surface (or do you :?:)

:biggthump

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
boaty said:
Here's a couple:

Monkey fist "stopper" with a single-plait braid, finished by a hangman's noose:

fob.jpg

Excellent! Lovely neat little fist, you have there, Boaty. That's still my favourite knot.

boaty said:
Current fave is a doughnut knot followed by a flat sinnet:

ns-lanyard.jpg

Ah, so it's called a doughnut knot!

I've read that you can tie this knot around a metal ring, to stop it from clanging noisily when you use it in rigging. Never seen one used like this before. Good idea.

I'd not seen the flat sinnet before (well, not to my knowledge). Looks neat and tidy. How hard is it to get it to lie flat, while you're tying it?

Oh, last week my son tied his first proper knot. Without being shown how, he figured out a lark's foot to fasten a keyring to his rucksack.
:approve:

Keith.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
MagiKelly said:
Of course I lay it on a flat surface, otherwise I would convex the blade, which is not always a bad thing.

:oops: :oops:

Well, it looks like we have been agreeing all along :oops: :rolmao:

I think its better for convex grinds on the flat as you have more control. :?:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I can create that, but it would miss the whole loopy thing on the other end from the monkey fist. I agree though, would look cool! May just give it a go.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I really like that donut and flat sennit. I will have to try that one out. Most of my lanyards I make with kangaroo lace.

I have a two-part pair of articles over at JM's magazine on a leather knife lanyard which is pretty easy to do and can be modified in a number of ways.

Braid37.jpg

Part I
http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=159

Part II
http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=160

I also have an older tutorial for a similar lanyard in black/tan lace over at The Knife Network. This one has some closer shots to some of the braid and knots, but results in nearly the same sort of lanyard.

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11384&highlight=braid+lanyard

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Keith_Beef said:
I'd not seen the flat sinnet before (well, not to my knowledge). Looks neat and tidy. How hard is it to get it to lie flat, while you're tying it?

It's such a simple knot to tie neatly - the illustration below is from the Ashley Book of Knots:

small-sinnet.jpg

I use the marlin spike on my brit army pocket knife to keep the loop open to a regular diameter when I'm tightening each course up

Keith_Beef said:
Oh, last week my son tied his first proper knot. Without being shown how, he figured out a lark's foot to fasten a keyring to his rucksack.
:approve:

Keith.

Ahh, a chip off the old block - excellent!! Do you find that, if you're sitting down when the kids are around, fooling around knotting stuff, that they're straight over and want some cord to play with too? Mine don't give me a moment's peace :eek:): :approve:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Flat leather 3mm x 1mm is best Jake (code L2)

I got about 20m and it went a long way. It is machine cut so you have to check for weak spots before you start braiding but hand cut lace is much more expensive.

If you need any help let me know (Schwert is much more of a master but I've tried a few things now).

Bill

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers Bill!

I'll have to wait for the 15th (for my last payday) before i can pay for anything more! But i look forward to giving it a good go. (i have Allan Blade bushcrafter to pay, big Brisa order, im looking at a ELK :roll: [and you know what that means])

:biggthump

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Just to let you know these are the second batch people sample's i have ready to be sent...

1. Ross
2. Matthew
3. Tom
4. Shaun
5. Erling
6. Danny
7. Stuart

Have the first lot received yours?

Jake

BTW i have now run out of cord! I'll be getting some this week so any more people who want will have to wait until probably friday. I only just managed to get everyones samples done, there was literally nothing left!!

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
tenbears is correct, I would go for the 3 mm x 1 mm (L2) material. I have found that a 6-plait braid using 3mm flat lace makes a near perfect sized lanyard. It is strong and easy too.

I generally use 1.5 times the final length of the lanyard plus a few inches more for braiding comfort and terminations.

So for a 10" 6-plait lanyard, I would 3 strings about 36" long, middle the strings and start the braid by threading the knife hole with the 3 strings or by doing as short flat 3-plait (hair braid) and threading that in the lanyard hole then bring together to start 6-plait round. This makes for a very nice start.

Here is an example and link to a short easy single-tail braid. This one started by threading the 3 strings, not braiding them.

http://forums.outdoors-magazine.com/viewtopic.php?t=1103

Schwert_CityKnife8.jpg

This one is very similar but starts differently, and the lanyard "hole" is actually a block between the scales.

http://forums.outdoors-magazine.com/viewtopic.php?t=888

Schwert_JCbraid3.jpg

I also have my neck lanyard tutorial over at JM's forum but my internet connection is so poor today I can barely post these.

Good luck and have fun.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
tomtom,

Honestly lanyards like this in 4 or 6-plait braid are very simple, very functional and dress a knife well. It looks much harder than it is. David Morgan's book is an excellent purchase with plently of good images and tips on how to braid well.

Every lanyard I make I learn a bit more and my transitions and terminations get better.

I am particularily proud of my work on the neck sheath I did with Gene Ingram and of course his Lacer knife. Fun, a bit challenging and, I think, quite a nice look.

If I can be allowed to toot my own horn a bit, these two Lacers recently completed are examples of what a tiny bit of braiding/lacing skill can produce.

Lacer3flat.jpg

Lacer4finished.jpg

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Nice one Schwert!

I have bought some more cord, so the offer is up again.

I'm gonna get some of that leather when payday arrives!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE