lanyard how-to?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Big apologies guys, sent the last of them today. Should be with y'all within the next day or two. A number of events meant i had forgotten to stamp and post 'em. Until i saw them all on my mantle!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Do say if you don't get em. Squidders has informed me that his hasn't arrived, im worried the PO have a problem with the bits of lanyard in the 1st class envelope :shock:, saying that i know Bill's arrived.

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
These put my lanyards to shame , I use paracord and chainloops , don't know if thats the right name , basically you get a loop then pull another loop trough that and so on

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hows it going Silver Birch? You managed to make one of your own?

:eek:):

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
boaty said:
It's such a simple knot to tie neatly ..snip:
:thanks:
Now I look at the illustration, I think I know that knot. It's what my grandmother called "finger knitting".

I've tied this in 1/4" hemp rope to make handles for bags and slings for carrying logs.

boaty said:
Ahh, a chip off the old block - excellent!! Do you find that, if you're sitting down when the kids are around, fooling around knotting stuff, that they're straight over and want some cord to play with too? Mine don't give me a moment's peace :eek:): :approve:

My son loves the "magic knots"; pull them tight, then jerk them tighter and they disappear :eek:): I've got a 50 metre drum of hemp rope waiting for a tree house project that I've been wanting to get started for a couple of years. Next summer, both my kids will be old enough to "help" :wink:

My mother-in-law saw me messing with a bit of string, tying monkey's fists, clover leaves, lucky charm knots, and braids, and commented that it was lke watching her father messing with string after he'd retired from the merchant navy.

Keith.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
017bushcraft0901053jf.jpg

I have just spent most of the evening trying to make a lanyard. I was amazed by how much cordage you need, for my first attempted I only used about 50cm but that was not enough, I ended up using about 2.5 / 3 meters for the above, I am happy with my first ever attempt.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Sure will Shinobi, very easy to learn if your being taught in person!

Look forward to it! :biggthump

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Just thought I would share a picture of my latest lanyard.
It's more of a fob than a lanyard, as such, and is designed to help with removing the knife from the sheath.

Fob.jpg

Fob3.jpg

In total I used about 5 metres of 3mm cord to make a 5 cm(ish) fob.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Nice work Stew...

Thats what i find most useful about them, the lanyards i use don't attach to your hand, just make the knife more grippable...

:biggthump

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Stew, you should send people samples, it's quite rewarding! Nice feeling once you have taught someone a nice skill. Or send me some and once i've learned i'll send them off to people!! :lol:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE