lanyard how-to?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Hi,

Could someone possibly help me out with some inspiration in knotting my lanyards?

Any information on nice looking / functional methods for either flat leather strips and paracord would be appreciated as I tend to just stick a figure-8 in there, nod and say something dull like "that's not going anywhere".

Cheers in advance

Joe

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I've got the one for all.

I learnt it in work a few weeks back. I don't know the name of it, but i'll happily send people some examples free of charge. Just PM me.

I have a digi camera as of today :eek:): tomorrow i'll see if i can get my first :)oops:) pics up.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Oh, it's like a solid pattern, looks real nice. And very practical.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Thanks for the links... tried that with paracord and it worked ok... I may need some practice... tried it with the leather and it just doesn't work for the material :cry:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Do you want me to send you a sample of this lanyard? It's easy-ish to learn. All you have to do is take it apart and start again.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Joe, is it for your EKA or a Northstar just to help pull the knife out of a deep sheath, or is it for something heavy like an axe ?

My take on layards is like this :

For my Evo 1, I have a short loop lanyard that goes across the back of my hand and anchors round the base of my thumb. It's specifically to stop a heavy and dangerous object flying out of my hand if something goes wrong on a chopping cut. It's VERY easy to engage and even more effective.

For my woodlore and inova X5 I have real short lanyards with one or three figure eight knots in them - deliberately lumpy to help pull the blade/torch from it's sheath.

For the others, there's a natty braid that kids learn at school using plastic string called "boondoggle" or "scooby doo" that works great in 2 and 3mm paracord. I make a lanyard using the square stitch

sq_in_progress_2.jpg

http://www.boondoggleman.com/prj_square_stitch.htm

fastened permanently to the knife or tied with a loop in the end so that it can be quickly fastened to anything with a hole using a larksfoot type knot. I use these on torches, zipper pulls and all sorts.

Wives and girl children are useful here. I floundered over a description on a tactical knife site and in exhasperation asked my wife to help. "Oh, you mean scooby doo" she says, "ask your daughter" who promptly braided up everything in sight ! :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Alick, it's for the EKA to aid in removing it from a sheath. I may just end up sticking to my usual of chucking a fig-8 on it and just dealing with it being ugly.

As for children...

2 hours of begging
+ 13 seconds (including the cigarette)
+ 9 months gestation
+ 5 years upbrining and knot education
------------
impractical :wink:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
alick said:
For the others, there's a natty braid that kids learn at school using plastic string called "boondoggle" or "scooby doo" that works great in 2 and 3mm paracord. I make a lanyard using the square stitch

sq_in_progress_2.jpg

http://www.boondoggleman.com/prj_square_stitch.htm

Alick,

I know this as "Box Stitch" and there's a variant called "Barrel Stitch" that you might like to try. Instead of reversing your stitchs each layer, as in the box stitch, make the stitches in the same direction each layer.
You get a rounder finish due to the cords spiralling round, as well as a slightly different pattern.

Hope that makes sense!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
John, do you want a sample and instructions of the lanyard i use? I'd be happy to mate.

Did you get the starkie instructions?

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
If i'm tying a simple paracord loop I will use a double fishermans knot it is a very strong way to join rope of the same diameter and it makes a proper loop which a fig 8 doesn't really.

I am doing more braided lanyards now that I have had a bit of practice but they are not difficult to learn.

Bill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE