Landscape tour of the Highlands. ( Picture Heavy.)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I had some work up in Edinburgh back in March so I took a few days out to do a bit of a landscape tour.

The first couple of days were spent under cloud and snowfall which weren't too good for photography but did give me the chance to try building a quinzhee.

Winter-Shepherd.jpg

The following morning I got the shot of Buachaille Etive Mòr I was hoping for and then moved on up to another Scottish icon, Eilean Donan Castle.

Eilean-Donan-Castle-1.jpg

There cannot be a more photographed castle in Scotland than this and I have shot it many times myself on film but I lacked a good image taken since my move to digital a few years ago.

I really couldn't resist another try but the challenge was to get something a little different from the millions of pictures already out there.

Eilean-Donan-Castle-2.jpg

My hope was to use the remaining snow and to out wait the crowds of tourists that stop in the car park opposite the castle.

Food_on_the_go.jpg

Of course, a growing lad has to eat so while I had dinner on the go I thought I might as well take a couple of shots of the "classic" viewpoint. On this occasion however, it seemed that the main focus of interest for a bus load of oriental tourists was the strange bloke cooking his sausages while pointing a camera at the castle.

Eilean-Donan-Castle-3.jpg

The shot I was waiting for was this one, taken about half an hour after the last Grockle had departed. I had repositioned a couple of crab baskets earlier for interest in the foreground which no one else seemed to have noticed.

Eilean-Donan-Castle-4.jpg

With that one safely on the cards it was time to try another couple of viewpoints using the lighting while it was still on. This one was from the slopes above the castle.

Eilean-Donan-Castle-5.jpg

And this was from the castle car park later on when the main lights were turned off and the island was lit only from floodlights on the land.

I added a little bit of fill in with the headlights of the van for the foreground.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You over tallented beggar!
Supurb photographic skills, great leatherworker, great story teller - it aint fair that you have so much when I struggle so hard!

Keep up the inspirational work!:D

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Thank you everyone.

This is the best shot of Eilean Donan I've ever seen - fact.

I'm not sure about that, I've seen some really great shots of Eilean Donan Castle out there.

I think it's the best I have but I do have a good mono film shot I took years ago that is a close runner.

You over tallented beggar!
Supurb photographic skills, great leatherworker, great story teller - it aint fair that you have so much when I struggle so hard!

Keep up the inspirational work!:D

I just poke things around until they look right John, no great mystery, just persistence.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Growing up I was regularly driven past Eilean Donan - and this triggers my memories more than any other shot of the place I've ever seen. My only very small criticism would be the creels in the foreground look a little contrived to me. I used to work gear like that, and no fisherman would ever leave them arranged in that manner. Too much insight I suspect ;)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Growing up I was regularly driven past Eilean Donan - and this triggers my memories more than any other shot of the place I've ever seen. My only very small criticism would be the creels in the foreground look a little contrived to me. I used to work gear like that, and no fisherman would ever leave them arranged in that manner. Too much insight I suspect ;)

You are quite correct, the creels were correctly stacked in a pile at the top of the jetty but I felt the image needed something to stop the eye running out of the picture on the right hand side.

It was a compositional decision rather than anything else.

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
No probs Gary, another time. You got any good shots whilst in Northumbria? Just to remind me of where i used to live?

Dave

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I've always wanted one of those, any idea where I apply?

I think they do them in the off licence , or is that another kind of artist ?

Some more cracking shots Gary thanks for posting them , by the way you are just showing off now !

Craig.........................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE