Landscape tour of the Highlands. ( Picture Heavy.)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Richie'66

Forager
Nov 8, 2010
Banffshire, Scotland
Excellent photography there , I'm dead jelous of both your trip and the photos.
First pic conjures up all sorts of other images in my mind , something primeval about it , if it weren't for the relatively modern cloths that could be a caveman cooking his dinner. So first pic is my favourite , the castle pic second.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Wayland, absolutely stunning pictures, Im extremely impressed. Do you sell prints at all? Bought myself an entry level DSLR, trying to gget into photography a bit more.
Regards
Colin

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Absolutely fantastic pics, nice job on the Quinzhee as well goodjob

Any chance you could post a bigger version of this.

Seaburn-Take_a_View.jpg

And this.
Eilean-Donan-Castle-3.jpg

So i can use them as desktops?

Raysan

Forager
Jun 7, 2011
EU
I had some work up in Edinburgh back in March so I took a few days out to do a bit of a landscape tour.

The first couple of days were spent under cloud and snowfall which weren't too good for photography but did give me the chance to try building a quinzhee.

Winter-Shepherd.jpg

The following morning I got the shot of Buachaille Etive Mòr I was hoping for and then moved on up to another Scottish icon, Eilean Donan Castle.

Eilean-Donan-Castle-1.jpg

There cannot be a more photographed castle in Scotland than this and I have shot it many times myself on film but I lacked a good image taken since my move to digital a few years ago.

I really couldn't resist another try but the challenge was to get something a little different from the millions of pictures already out there.

Eilean-Donan-Castle-2.jpg

My hope was to use the remaining snow and to out wait the crowds of tourists that stop in the car park opposite the castle.

Food_on_the_go.jpg

Of course, a growing lad has to eat so while I had dinner on the go I thought I might as well take a couple of shots of the "classic" viewpoint. On this occasion however, it seemed that the main focus of interest for a bus load of oriental tourists was the strange bloke cooking his sausages while pointing a camera at the castle.

Eilean-Donan-Castle-3.jpg

The shot I was waiting for was this one, taken about half an hour after the last Grockle had departed. I had repositioned a couple of crab baskets earlier for interest in the foreground which no one else seemed to have noticed.

Eilean-Donan-Castle-4.jpg

With that one safely on the cards it was time to try another couple of viewpoints using the lighting while it was still on. This one was from the slopes above the castle.

Eilean-Donan-Castle-5.jpg

And this was from the castle car park later on when the main lights were turned off and the island was lit only from floodlights on the land.

I added a little bit of fill in with the headlights of the van for the foreground.

I'm new at bushcraft and willing to learn but those pics mate are AMAZING!!

Jun 16, 2011
England.
Wow!!! That first picture is a really great one, as are all of them. But I think the first one pictures just how beautiful the outdoors can be and how enjoyable it can be to be in and around!

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Fantastic pictures, the one of your wee camp set up in the snow at night with the fire going looks like something out of national geographic, really is amazing, and in Scotland! I used to live in Edinburgh until i was about 5, i remember the weather being quite dramatic but nothing like that, i was expecting some mention of you
being in Canada or Sweden with that picture.
Love the pics.

outdoorpaddy

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh

040do.jpg

I have just been digging through our attic and found this painting that we put up there when we moved in and forgot about .

It was painted by one of my mums best friends and the person who taught me so much about climbing munros , he was on his second round when alzheimer's finally caught up with him and his doctor stopped him climbing and driving .What a shame and a great loss to the hills !

Craig............

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE