Landrover or Landcruiser?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've had an number of Solihul products, drive a 300Tdi Disoc now but I'd never buy a new one.

Old LR where slow and agricultural (upto 300TDi Disco inc). But you knew what they where, they where work horses. Easy to fix, reliable if looked after properly.

However, they old designs have been stuffed full of modern dodgy electrics - double wammy of things to go wrong. Strange that very car seems less reliable than 10 years ago 90% of the time due to computers and elctronics.

What LR need t odo is look at what made them a "legend" look at the other and build a brand new LR that is modern but goes back to what they where good at.

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
I have to give it a full jetwash after playing, otherwise the games over:D

Bernie

Nice pics Bernie. Was waiting for them.
How about posting some of the interior?
Afterall, if i had to go out buying a ssanyong, it would have to be cleanable by powerhose spewing water out with 8 bars or more..........inside! :D

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Inside view a bit basic,but who care's, air con but no cruise control,some models do and have bit of a flash walnut dash, but it don't make them drive any better,the switchable 4x4 is on the left below the hazard light switch.
I use mine to pull my caravan with canoe on top all other the country and its never missed a beat:D
You can pick them up as cheap as chips heres a link to one on the Bay:)

Bernie

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1995-SSANGYONG-MUSSO-SE-SILVER_W0QQitemZ290268899801QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290268899801&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

100_0406.jpg

100_0404.jpg

100_0251.jpg

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
A bit basic, you say....

I find it a bit luxurious :lmao:

No really. It looks a lot like my toyota, apart from the righthand-drive that is :rolleyes:

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
As a owner of both. a Land rover 110 and a Fj45 landcruiser. there is no comparison
between the off road abilities of the two The Fj45 will win hands down higher ground clearance And a lot more power with the Chev 350 that I put in it. But the Diesel L-R is
the cheapest to drive. Wish I could find a good Diesel to go in the Toy. The front end
in the You is almost bulletproof as is the rear end an transmission transfer case.
even with the extra power of the worked on 350- 350+ hp IT stays together. I Have tried
a Chev 350 swap in a land rover and found that the running gear was not up to the
extra power.
But in the end I like them both

Just an up date. I now have a found a way to put a 350 into a Landy
and not have the running gear have a hart attack I have changed all
the running gear in my 110 to Chev trans rear end an front end
and now have the perfect landy That will now run at freeway speeds
all day long.
So now the old Landy is back on the road.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
My choice,

Lancruiser 80 UK market up to M reg I think ? anyway , cheap as chips , UK spec has twin lockers as standard ,

300GD G owned loads of them dont stop going .

Landrover 110 300TDi but needs loads of maintanace ,

As has been stated the needs of an expedition motor are a lot different than a toy used for posing at a quarry .

ease of mantanence , spares avaliblity , local knowelege ,

Avoid retro fitted engines only go for factory fitted thay never seem to work well and theres allways some hose rubbing someware .

But its all been done in a 2CV so you take your chances really .

Look at Nissan patrols very solid cars with the 4.2 engine needed for deep sand .

Cliff

last weekend in Wales green laning below , loads of different motors the only prolems were with the Landrover ....nuff said ...

22032009690.jpg

gulp.jpg

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
..............So as an experdition veicle why do so many people go for landrover over landcruiser.?

80% or more of all landrovers ever built are still in use today......no other vehical manufacturer past or pressent can claim that.....this is not becuase they are more reliable or more comfortable, it's because they are long lasting and easy to repair and can cope with a hard life.

Which I think pretty much answers the question originally posed!

Smoggy

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
80% or more of all landrovers ever built are still in use today......no other vehical manufacturer past or pressent can claim that.....this is not becuase they are more reliable or more comfortable, it's because they are long lasting and easy to repair and can cope with a hard life.

Smoggy

Hear! Hear! :35: :beerchug: :35:

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania

Smoggy

But what about the 40 series landcruiser? ther are still plenty of them around.;)

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
That old myth about 80% of landrovers being still on the road ....Hmmmm.
Maybe parked on peoples drive rotting away ..
Look outside the UK landcrusier is King , Having owned loads of landrovers in the past and not just for shopping at Tesco with a roof top tent on , Its Landcruiser and G Wagon for me .
But this Argument goes on on every 4x4 forum , everyone to there own .
Twodogs

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
When did you last see a 1948 landcruiser in daily use twodogs? LOL

You're right, every 4x4 forum has the "which is best debate".....even landrover owners argue amungst themselves constantly about the merits of coils and leaves, (all good humoured banter in reallity) however the question posed here is slightly different one....and my in fact not be entirely relevent being based on a presumption!

It's generated an interesting thread thought!

Smoggy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Its probably nearer 50% than 80%?.

If I win the lottery, I'll buy a defender:)

Then I'll hire a mechanic to follow me around in a Toyota to fix the landy when it breaks down:)

I like LRs but lets be fare, they are not the most reliable vehicle and I know squat about engines so no use me having one.

EDIT:

Land Rover brochure of 1992 stated 70% of all LRs made survived

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Smoggy there are alot of 40 seires cruisers here in oz .

Its funny that in the 60s all you could get here were landrovers. But as soon as
there was a choise ie toyota the landys soon died out .
Now as 4x4 are used as 4x4s every day in oz and not just used to drop the kids of
for school why if landrover is so good dose every one go for toyota.
Maybe we know something you dont.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
There are a few reasons why toyotas became popular in Aus, not the least being that when they where introduced they offered a modicum of comfort at a reasonable price in comparison to the other compeditor in the market the range rover, the first of the modern suv's if you like....I know that other makes have been popular and that they still are with even more models to choose from....and many people will obviously choose depending on preference other than going on a safari!

The fact that there are more 4x4's out there to choose from does not make LR's capabilities any lesser, it just means more poeple use more 4x4's for different reasons...

I own two LRs, I travel all over the UK and some but no where near enough of europe, I've driven them in places where others will never go because they are simply not allowed, I've also driven them where other simply could not go because there motor was not capable!

This is not to say I do not have experience of other makes and models indead I do...and regularly work with other models and I do mean "work", and there are instances where other models out perform any given LR model.....even my '77 series 3 out performs a Disco3 offroad, but you wouldn't even dream of comparing there on road performance.......

LR's as we know are always breaking down.....or so we are led to believe.....often LR's are initialy bought because they will be subjected to the hardest of lives....and when the are then bought second hand they are more often a lot more second hand than most!!!!LOL

As has been said before, it's horses for courses and a debate that has so many variables that it will never end....untill of course they stop building them!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE