Landrover or Landcruiser?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Check this out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFkxuG9Blxs

Outback Challenge - Morocco 2007

Last year it was won by a US team in a LandCruiser, this year it was won by Simon from Devon 4x4 in a Land Rover. Second place was taken by a Land Rover as well.

Here's the winning truck...

40c89db40df3f061dcb912e411be26e6.jpg

5d39db8e6f4505831c36cb51cad943cb.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A mate of mine works at Landrover, the company bring in 4x4's from other company's and basicly, drive them unitl they break, LR are a bit ****** with the Toyoto's,,,,,,, they don't break

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:D

Landrover toolkit - shovel and a brrom to collect the parts that fell off ;)

Its a fair point - as is Martyns. If you want to "extreme off road" with a team of mechanics and make a car go places no car wants to go - do it with a Land Rover. I guess its the 4x4 equivalent of F1.

For solid day to day use though where the object of the exercise is not to offroad for its own sake but to arrive at a destination that happens to be offroad - get a 'Yota.

The gamekeeper here who does more really hard offroad driving than most (20,000 miles a year offroad plus normal day to day driving) wouldn't swap his Jap truck - he truly hates LRs now - he laughed at ours and described them as "noisy, cold and bleedin unreliable". All true I have to say - still like em though.

The one that really made me laugh was the LR mechanic we used when we really did nasty things to "lumpy". He drove an Amazon :)

Red

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
The idea of a landie does appeal and i came very close to buying an old long wheel base, but in reality it has to be Toyota every time, hilux or land cruiser the old tojo style landcruisers are just as cool as a defender i reckon.
In NZ / Aus i reckon hiluxes outnumber landies 100 to 1

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I purchased a new Land Rover 110 Hi cap TD5 four years ago and I am sorry to say that next time I will be looking at Land Cruisers. I still have other older model LR's and the difference is considerable.

I think that LR have lost the plot with quality control and direction and although still good vehicles in principal their new design with all it's bells and whistles leaves me very puzzled. No, I don't want leather seats, aircon or a six speaker sound system, I want simplicity and longevity along with reliability.

Just to say with 32000 miles on the clock ALL the brake calipers need renewing. It's not like I have driven it into the sea. The finish just is not there. So they have rusted solid!

I can't comment on Discoverys or Range Rovers as I have no need for one of those. I just wish for a simple useful vehicle.

Swyn.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
I think landrovers are overated yes they may win organised cross country races
with mecanics in toe but were your life depends on you veicle like here in oz you
just have to ask yourself why dose every one go for toyota?.
And its not because LR parts are more expensive at one time all you could buy here were Landrovers but the aussies have chosen reliability over somthing running on an
old reputation.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
most of the farmers up this way are still running LR. One problem with LC, Patrols etc is that they are too wide for many of the farm track / greenlane gates in the Dales. These gates have big stone gate post not wooden ones. I've been out with my mate in a Surf and the only way he can ge through is if he runs the wheel so hard on the stones that the car starts to lift of the ground. Others gates not a chance.

Series LR where designed to run on the 4'8" (I think or there abouts anyway) carriage ways used in England since the Roman built roads here.

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
In the Cameron Highlands in the main mountain range of Malaysia, LRs especially older models are very common. These are very heavily used and abused. True workhorses.

The men driving them have no patriotic "Buy British" feelings or otherwise to cloud judgement. They think the world of the LR chassis and body.

The Bedouin here have the same opinion, and would use LRs (esp. older models) more
if they were available, over any other mark.

Here are our two.. 1st about 40km into the desert near Fayoum, the 2nd in the White
Desert between Bahariya and Farafra...
Image003.jpg

DinnersComing.jpg

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Ok without stiring up a kettle of fish why would people chose a landrover over a landcruiser?
Landrovers have a bad rep for build quality they are unreliable and last i hered had
bad gear boxes.

So as an experdition veicle why do so many people go for landrover over landcruiser.?

Settler

maddave is on a distinguished road

Not many people know that Land Rovers attempted to market a computer. Why did they stop? They could not find a way to get it to leak oil!

A Land Rover doesn´t leak oil, it marks it´s territory.

Did you hear about the man whose Land Rover didn't leak oil? The factory took it back and worked on it until it did.

Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night? They all look the same. " - "He replied, "It does not matter which one you use, nothing happens !"

The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."

Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.

Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.

The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.

"I have had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never had any trou..."

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start.

A friend of mine told everybody he never had any electric problems with his Lucas equipment. Today he lives in the countryside, in a large manor with lots of friendly servants around him an an occasional ice cold shower...

Back in the 70's, Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which did not suck.

Q: Why do the British drink warm beer? A: Because Lucas makes their refrigerators

Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb. Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

Positive ground depends upon proper circuit functioning, which is the transmission of negative ions by retention of the visible spectral manifestation known as "smoke". Smoke is the thing that makes electrical circuits work; we know this to be true because every time one lets the smoke out of the electrical system, it stops working. This can be verified repeatedly through empirical testing.

When, for example, the smoke escapes from an electrical component (like, say, a Lucas voltage regulator), it will be observed that the component stops working. The function of the wire harness is to carry the smoke from one device to another; when the wire harness "springs a leak." And lets all the smoke out of the system, nothing works afterwards. Starter motors were frowned upon in British motorcycles for some time, largely because they consume large quantities of smoke, requiring very large wires.

It has been noted that Lucas components are possibly more prone to electrical leakage than Bosch or generic Japanese electrics. Experts point out that this is because Lucas is British and all things British leak. British engines leak oil, shock absorbers and hydraulic forks and disk brakes leak fluid, British tyres leak air, and the British defence establishment leaks secrets... so, naturally, British electrics leak smoke.

From the basic concept of electrical transmission of energy in the form of smoke, a better understanding of the mysteries of electrical components - - especially those of Lucas manufacture - - is gained by the casual user.

http://www.yoxio.com/images.php?id=20200
:-D

[/img]
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
havingagiraffe
View Public Profile
Send a private message to havingagiraffe
Send email to havingagiraffe
Find all posts by havingagiraffe
Add havingagiraffe to Your Buddy List
#13 Report Post
Old 25-04-2006, 00:09

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
As they say in Oz..
"If you want to go Bush, take a Land Rover or a Toyota. If you want to come back again, take the Toyota...."

Frog Island do some mean 'Expedition' Toyotas. Long distance comfort is not to be sneezed at when touring....

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Land Rover or Toyota.

Very simple way of resolving this one;

Land Rovers have hand crafted, fine tollerance machined chrome steering swivels on the front axles. These in turn have reverse facing chamfered oil seals which are in turn held on by steel plates and half a dozen bolts.

Toyotas use universal joints.

I've owned two Discoverys. Lovely, but never again.

Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE