Land Rover Defender 90 question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Tomb-01.jpg
Nah

thats the carrier for the roll up stretcher for picking up all the guys who swooon when they see her driving it...Lol

I got one of those as well...Hmm will I get it to fit, have to try on the weekend...

And just for BR

lara_left.gif

And from the rear...ooooer

lara_right.gif

Happy drooooling lads

LS

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
just found this thread and flicked through it.my series hardtop is 17 bolts to completely remove the roof and only a handful for the 2 sides,then its the rear door.my e reg 90 i used to own was the same.about 2.5k should get a good one take a hammer to the chassis to check the rust.once chassis gone its not viable to replace unless you do it yourself.there good fun.the 200tdi was a bit noisey when wellied but easy to diy the 300 tdi similar.if you want to run on a budget a sherpa 2.5d engine can do the job but not if your into speed /quietness or running oversized tyres.i love the twin truck cab models but very pricey as is the roof panel if you want to convert a 110 into one.i would like a tax exempt ex military 109 " with a full soft top,and a tdi diesel if i could build my ideal truck.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
It may pay to bleed the clutch. If you are not used to it it may seem stiff. Simple job to bleed and saves all sorts of niggles in the long run. You will be surprised at the colour difference of the hydraulic fluid when doing this change.
Swyn.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Spacemonkey said:
Martyn, I was expecting you to crop up soon to tell us how much we were killing dolphins in Timbuktoo or something, but i never expected this!! Excellent choice, looks a stunner mate. What engine is it?

What can I say, the pull of the dark side was strong Luke. :)

Anyway, I went for as newer as I could afford, it's an '04 td5 with 13700 miles on the clock as of today. It's immaculate - bit weird seeing a dent-free landrover. :)

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Spacemonkey said:
Dent free?? Surely you jest. sir... Get some mud on it... ;)

...am gonna. :)

Was on me was to the oldies last week, they live in the sticks and one of the roads was deeply flooded. Most cars were turning round, rather than risk it. Absolutely no issue for the 90 though.

One thing, other people driving land rovers wave to you - all of them! It's like being in a club or something.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Spacemonkey said:
It's the same when I'm in my MX5. They appreciate your madness i think..!
How do you find it comfort wise on a trip? And mpg for a rural trip?

SWMBO has got a mini and you get it a bit with them, but I dont think I've passed another land rover yet where the driver hasnt waved.

The mpg thing is very dependant on how you drive. I had to adjust my driving style a lot. first second and third are very short gears - it's about getting it into 5th as quick as possible and then just bimble along with fairly low revs keeping it under the turbo all the time seems to get the most from it. It seems to love this style of driving. But the td5 engine is surprisingly fast. There is some turbo lag, but when it kicks in, the engine roars into life, the turbo screams and it thunders off at quite an alarming pace, but the fuel consumption goes into orbit as well.

Comfort wise, it's surprisingly comfy as far as is limited by the fact it's a land rover. It's a bit bouncy round town, with better manners on an open road. But then it's only 26 months old and with low miles on the clock, it's almost a new car.

I've had it in low range a couple of times, really just to get a feel for it, but I havent actually encountered anything yet where high range wasnt perfectly adequate and I've not needed the diff-lock at all. I'm hoping to get some leassons in the new year on a 4x4 driving range where I can learn the limits of the car and hopefully some driving skills.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
swyn said:
It may pay to bleed the clutch. If you are not used to it it may seem stiff. Simple job to bleed and saves all sorts of niggles in the long run. You will be surprised at the colour difference of the hydraulic fluid when doing this change.
Swyn.

Thanks swyn, I'll bear it in mind. I could do with driving another to compare.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I had a forward control cherry picker once.

It looked like something out of Mad Max.....

I had to get rid of it, too expensive to run.

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
I really don't think there is anything like a Landrover.

SWMBO doesn't feel quite the same though :(

As a compromise we ended up running a Discovery for about three years. Passed it on 12 months back and the missus (who used it daily) now regrets getting rid of it no end! :rolleyes:

One day I'll have a 90 or 110 :D

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
hi,
You will probarbly find that in a week or so your left leg will haev compensated for this, you wont even notice till you drive a normal car and try to put your foot through the bulkhead!!!
lou

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I think to be honest though Martyn the clutch is very slightly heavier on the 5 pot than earlier models. This is perhaps due to a improved clutch as 130HP on tap, specially called for when towing, is needed.
I am used to this so it isn't really noticed. Although seem to remember vaguely three years ago when mine was new that the clutch felt different.
As Lou1661 has pointed out you will soon compensate and this is funny!!
Swyn.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Oh, and you will fing low range useful if you are in a long traffic queue as you can just tickle forward without dumping the clutch every few yards. This saves the leg and the mechanical wear. I leave a gap which sometimes an idiot trys to fill by overtaking but this compensates for the stop start action in the line. (just go careful when changing from H to L and back)
A couple of friends have bought LR's and Disco's and as these have never been beyond a pavement they have found the range lever seized through lack of use. It is easily cured with Duck oil or similar but maybe do move it monthly just to keep it working.
The bounce means you keep your speed down and I still have a clean licence as I rarely get faster than 50. On the motorway 70 feels like light speed!

He He :D
Swyn.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Martyn said:
...am gonna. :)One thing, other people driving land rovers wave to you - all of them! It's like being in a club or something.

You are in a club of luckly people who driver the best vehicle in the world.

I keep looking at the price of Disco's and some of the older Landy's.

Come to the darkside, Luke!

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Spacemonkey
Had a look at my 300TDi and yes the lugs are still there for the windscreen anchors/adjusters but the hinges have been replaced by a one piece casting as Swyn mentions. Martyn's photo shows this clearly. By the way that's far too clean Martyn :D

I agree with all the other comments regarding a retrofit - it should be pretty easy and the doors are a doddle. Not sure I would want to remove the roof completely though. If you do the roll cage is a must, I have a Safety Devices roll hoop behind the front seats just in case it goes over - the roof would not give much protection but the hoop would :(

I suppose you need the landrover to carry all your kit? You did look quite cramped in the MX5 when we met the other week. There is enough room in a LR to sleep too so you don't have to worry about the gear knob sticking up your **** :lmao: By the way I got the Sabre75 this weekend, thanks for the recommendation :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE