Windmill Lighter - mini review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
A couple of days ago, I took delivery of a windmill lighter I'd had on order from ODS. I got the glow-in-the-dark model, as I wanted a backup burner for camping as well as general use and I thought the bright colour would be useful in the woods at night.

I was surprised at the diminutive size of the lighter, having seen the "hand-grenade" stormproof models, I was expecting something quite large and was pleasantly surprised. In the pic below, you can see it compared to a very old brass Zippo and a £1 disposable Cricket lighter...

wind1.jpg

Although it looks similar in size to the Zippo, it feels quite a bit smaller, certainly a lot lighter - closer in weight to the disposable.

The material is polycarbonate - basically tough plastic and does feel "plasticky" to the touch. It has a quite smooth finish, which is a little slippy when your fingers are wet. I would have preferred some touchy-feely texture thing, but it's not a problem. The hinge is made of the same material, infact the whole case is probably injection molded. It's pretty tough though, so I dont forsee a problem with hinge failure - actually, I'd bet It'll probably wear better than the hinge on my Zippo. There is a sturdy lanyard attachment too, making hooking it onto you pack a cintch - nice touch, though defacto for all such lighters now. The lid springs open when you release the catch. It's spring loaded, so holds it's open postion in whatever orientation you hold the lighter until you shut the lid. Though the hinge doesnt open a full 180deg, it does flip back far enough for you to get the flame into whatever position you should need to...

wind2.jpg

The above pic shows the lid open to it's max position, there's plenty of "flame clearance". There is a snug-fitting rubber O-ring which seals the lighter and the lid closes into the clasp with a very positive and audible click. It passed several dunking tests with no water ingress at all. I dont know what it'd be like at depth, but you could certainly use it in driving rain or leave it in a puddle for a couple of hours and I doubt anything would seep in.

The glow-in-the-dark case is probably the same compound you'd find in any kids Halloween toy. It certainly does glow in the dark, looking like some lump of radioactive waste (a la Homer Simpson), but you have to energise the material with some light source first.

wind4.jpg

The above pic was taken in a dimly lit room, with no flash on the camera, after the lighter was zapped for a few seconds with a super-bright surefire torch. It glows brightly for a few seconds, then diminishes rapidly. However it does retain some "glow" for several hours afterwars. It is also still highly visible in dimmed conditions even when not energised with a light source. The inclusion of a beta isotope, such as the Gaseous Tritium Light Source (GTLS) you find in glow rings or Traser watches would have made this perfect.

The metal parts of the lighter seem quite well made, not rough and tinny, but well engineered and finished. The piezo ignition works well, with pretty much 100% flame ignition on the first try. The flame is supposed to burn at somewhere around 1200C depending on what review you read, but it's clearly very hot.

wind5.jpg

The flame is barely visible when lit though (the above pic shows it quite brightly, but this is due to the sensitivity of the camera and dim room light - it's not nearly that bright under normal conditions), ...so aiming it at the tip of a cigarette can be problematic if you want to keep your eyebrows. I dont see this as a problem when lighting a fire though - the hot spot is about 1/2" to 3/4" away from the lighter and burns in whatever direction you point it. The flame is adjustable by a wheel on the botton with a thumbnail or coin groove. However, there is no "constant on" feature and the blue "hot" flame cant be turned into a yellow "cold" flame. The thumb button does get quite hot after being lit for more than a few seconds, so you need to get whatever you are trying to light, lit pretty quick. One of the big boasts of these lighters, is thier windproof lighting system - well it lights while I'm blowing on it and I couldn't blow it out - good enough for me.

On the base of the lighter is a small screw. The instructions say "do not remove this screw". After I had removed it, I found the inner lighter assembly just eases out of the polycarb case - just as I suspected it would...

wind3.jpg

The guts of the lighter seem very well enginered. There are a total of 3 rubber O-rings sealing the sensitive stuff away from the forces of entropy. This seems identical in spec to it's larger and beefier hand-grenade brother. I suspect that the internals are identical in both models, with the hand-grenade version being an exercise in marketing, more than an attempt to up the level of weather resistance. Even the little screw has a rubber grommet (just visible in the pic). I would think this model is just as wind/storm/weather proof as it's bigger brother.

The refill window works quite well. There is a level indicator and you can easily see the bubble showing the fill level. A nice touch as the lighters capacity is not huge. It'll need refilling at fairly regular intervals - especially if you use it to light cigarettes. For the lighter to work properly, you have to have the flame burning quite high. I noticed I was adjusting the flame "up" quite often to compensate for used gas.

wind6.jpg

It's a small window, positioned just under the lanyard attachment point, but in use you can easily see the bubble indicating the fill level.

To sum up, a really nice little all weather outdoor lighter. Light and compact, with a fierce flame that should ignite the most stubborn stove or campfire. Not the best lighter for smokers, the poor visiblity and aggressive flame make it less than ideal for that, though perfectly possible of course. The gas tank isn't the biggest. If you smoke 40 a day, you'll probably need to take gas with you on a week long trip. Though if you are just using it to light fires and stoves, one fill should last a few weeks (obviously this depends on your technique - it wont last as long if you're trying to set fire to a 12"x3" wet log). Without doubt it's weather proof, I doubt you would need anything better, even for a marine survival raft. The lanyard attachement is a nice feature. I would have liked to see a version with tritium illumination, but this one is still very visible in dim conditions - no complaints. The body shell is a little too slippy with wet hands IMO, though can be remidied with all sorts of home-spun inventions. The flame isn't really suitable as a full blown gas torch though. Soldering with it may be possible, but keeping the button depressed would burn your fingers before the solder melted. If you *need* such a torch, probably the PB-207 Blue Flame Pocket Micro Torch would be a better (albeit larger, heavier, uglier, none-weatherproof, none-windproof) option. As all school kids will remember, all you need to do, to make a Bunsen burner's flame go yellow, is to shut off the oxygen supply. Some sort of rotary valve on the burner, would have made it a good yellow flamed cigarette lighter as well as Bunsen burner.

Excellent lighter, very pleased, not perfect, but very, very good. Between this and the PB-207, i'd go for this. The benefits of sleek, compact ergonomic design, combined with the weatherproof and windproof funtion of the windmill, win out against the functionality of a higher-capacity tank with a better flame of the PB-207. Other people may disagree.

This lighter is available for £25 from ODS at outdoorsupplies3@aol.com

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Excellent review, Martyn, and far from "mini"!

A couple of days ago I managed to track down a Colibri Firebird Quantum lighter and it struck me how similar the Colibri and Windmill are in many ways. Basic function - a very hot butane-fed flame - is the same, but also the design and size appear to have practically come from the same mould. The Colibri is metal, apparently the same size as the Windmill (based on my Zippo comparison test) and also has the sprung lid. No indication of water resistance, however, and I suspect that it is here that the Windmill really wins out. However, initial tests have been favourable and the Colibri does have the advantage of being less than half the price. Colours are a little muted but I attached a bright yellow lanyard to counter that. The Colibri is surprisingly heavy for its size, rather heavier than a Zippo, indeed, and that might, um, weigh against it for the ounce conscious. It also lacks a fill level indicator, perhaps the only obvious flaw in the design.

Incidentally, there is a Zippo available with a lanyard attachment, but it's not easy to locate. Zipporick at http://www.randjcollectables.com has one listed. The attachment takes the place of the hinge pin.

Considering that a lighter is very much backup for me I'm happy enough with the Colibri, but if you absolutely rely on one in testing conditions then it sounds as though the Windmill might have the edge due to the waterproofing.

And let's face it, it glows in the dark! How cool is that? Ahem...

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Jack, I noticed windmill do make an all metal version (aluminium), but it's quite a bit more expensive. They also make models with textured cases and a pretty wide variety of colours.

bigjackbrass said:
And let's face it, it glows in the dark! How cool is that? Ahem...

LOL, yeah it is a little on the gimmicky side, especially as it doesnt glow under it's own steam, which would actually make it quite useful.

I couldn't resist though...

wind4.jpg

The pic was taken with the flash turned off, in a dim room with my camera on a tripod. I zapped the lighter with a blindingly bright surefire torch at close range, then took this pic. Although it does fade quite rappidly, it actually does retain some illumination for quite a few hours - as your eyes night-adapt, then the lighter becomes more vivid. Though like I said, a tritium rod recessed into the case would make this a genuinelly useful feature, as it would glow independantly of any light source for 10 years or more. Thinking about it, you can get "fishing isotopes" with are tiny (15mm x 2 mm) rods for attaching to the end of quiver tips for night fishing. They're only a couple of quid and one glued onto the lighter might do the trick fine.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Good idea. I'd noticed keyrings available recently which glow continuously for about ten years and had thought about clipping one to the end of the lanyard, but the fishing lures sound as though they are smaller and rather cheaper. Off to the local tackle shop, then.

Hey, do you think that the next version of the Woodlore knife will be luminous?

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Martyn,

I've had one of the little (green) fishing tip tritium tubes glued into the lid of my Silva ranger compass for over 15 years. It ensures i can read the compass at night even if it hasn't been neeed during the day and the luminous paint hasn't had a chance to charge.

I think it's fainter than it used to be but it's still brighter than a new blue traser. Overall - excellent.

In fact I've been looking to buy more recently without success, and was wondering if they were no longer sold. Mine came as the basic glass vial without any casing to protect from breakage. I wondered if manufacturers were getting more nervous about using even slightly radioactive materials.

This is an excellent review. I'd just ordered an orange "hand-grenade" delta model off Joe before reading this, with one of the shockpro (4x the gas capacity) models to follow. I'll post up my thoughts when it arrives in a couple of days.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
One additional point, which may or may not be relevant depending on how you spend your time in the woods: these lighters cannot be kept burning for more than a few seconds and burn incredibly hotly, so they make lousy cigar lighters. Zippos mar the taste, so stick to matches.

We all have our woodcraft essentials :wink:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Yeah, Jack - spot on. I think the MAX recommended continuous burn time is 10 seconds. Like I said in the review, they are not the best cigarette lighters, but as a backwoods backup for lighting fires and stoves is where they excell. If your primary fire lighting method is something more "natural", spark and tinder for example, then all you need is a small, lightweight, weatherproof bunsen burner for those emergencies - or when you're simply wet and miserable and cant be bothered. That's what I got one for anyway.

I think the fuel capacity is 1 gram, which the manufacturers say it gives upto 300 x 5 second ignitions, or a total burn time of over 30 minutes (probably at the lowest flame hieght). I would say that's pushing it, and in reality is a fair bit less, especially if you have the lighter turned up to a useful flame size.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Hi, Another thumbs up for Joe at ODS.
Received my windmill delta the other day. This has exactly the same clear polycarbonate inner unit as shown in Martyn's photographs, same size, capacity and flame. The only difference is the outer casing into which the clear inner fits.
The casing on the delta model is a resilient, rubbery plastic. Their "blaze" orange is a genuine dayglow orange that is extremely vivid in daylight. Nothing like the pale pastel pink it appears to be in the advertising photos.
This soft casing is 3mm thick all round, with a window so that you can see the gas level through the clear polycarbonate.
Despite the "hand grenade" nickname it is lightweight and measures a tolerable 6 x 4.5cm and 2.2cm thick. There's a lump on the side for fixing a lanyard, and extra spring clip as well as the metal latch visible in Martyn's pictures to secure the lid. Cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE